Monsters of the Night | Teen Ink

Monsters of the Night

By vazenitran98, philadelphia, Pennsylvania
vazenitran98, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street,I met a man who had no feet."

Author's note: I watch a variety of TV shows with outstanding plots and thought to mash up these 3 genres:mystery,romance,and sci-fi.

It was that type of night in which you would want to stay home,under the protection and comfort of warm blankets,and having your parents next door. No,it was definitely a night in which your room would be locked up,curtains are drawn,and a gun would be well at hand. That was what I thought about all night,why I was afraid,why I would act all berserk and maybe delusional. I don't know. Right here,in bed,and right now, 9:43 PM,instinct told me not to trust my false thoughts.

I heard the wind screech and howl by my window and a breeze leaking through the tiny cracks under it. The warm quilt suited me no longer. I was freezing! The doors were locked,my curtains are drawn,and the gun was still in my hand. I clutched it,afraid that if I let go,it would drop to the floor,leaving me defenseless.

It was no until the clang I heard from the kitchen that startled me and made me sit up-right. I heard someone murmuring softly,too,however I couldn't make out the who the voice belonged to. Could mom and dad be back from work so early? I checked the clock on my dresser: 9:47 PM.

I wasn't intimidated as much. My dad taught me that fear is a wasted emotion that shouldn't be used so often. After countless pans being drummed on the marble counters,I wouldn't let terror grip me.

I finally got out of bed,holding the gun and walked slowly in my socks to the locked door. I saw a stream of yellow light from beneath the door,but no voices or footsteps. Strange,in a way. My parents would never leave the lights on without any use of it. No shadows,no whispers,nothing. It felt to me as if there was a ghost on the other side of the door,waiting for me to reveal myself.

My hand automatically reached out,not wanting to torture myself any longer than necessary. Whatever I felt tonight would finally be answered. My vexed feeling would finally be relieved to see both parents looking at me with delighted smiles and a hug good-night. I clicked the lock unlock and turned the knob.

The bright yellow light of the bulb on the ceiling was still on,and there was no one,absolutely no one in the hallway. I knew something was terribly wrong by now and ran to the living room. The lights there were also on. The lacy Victorian furniture,however,was turned in eerie positions,all facing the wall. The lights were out after I saw the lighting in the kitchen. The door was wide open,illuminating the rug.

I brought the gun up flatly onto my chest as I walked slowly to the kitchen,my breathe turning cold. I saw the marble counter, dishwasher, sink, and oak cabinets first. I walked towards the small TV,its screen all blue. As I finished circling the counter,I paused at a dreadful sight that I couldn't take in.

On the white tiled floor was a mass amount of blood. Atop the mess was two figures in horrifying positions. I saw my mom's face,clawed and

torn of flesh,as if someone attempted to eat her. Dad had the same type of treatment:all gruesome looking and coated in blood.

My hand went to my mouth automatically in complete surprise. The gun slipped from my fingers as I looked at the two beloved figures,the ones I cared about the most that also slipped from my grasp. The tears streamed from my eyes,tasting salty as it ran on my lips. Suddenly,the kitchen lights went out. I couldn't see my mom or dad anymore. It was pitch dark and I couldn't see.

Something in my head told me to leave. My legs were paralyzed and I couldn't move. I listened to the darkness and heard quick,swift movements as its feet brushed against the floor. I finally found the strength to stand up and pull the trigger;luckily it was fully loaded.

I stood in place for awhile and heard soft thuds on the floorboards. I push my light brown hair out of my face and breathe in deeply,sweat clinging to my forehead. I followed the noise and poised my back flatly against the hallway wall. It felt cool and damp altogether on my skin. I finally heard a crumple of a plastic shopping bag in the living room and scurried to the next wall. I slowly peered into the room and saw a shadowy figure.

Chills ran down my spine. The figure gave away signs of fur,two large horns,and hind horse legs. I remember studying creatures such as this on the internet. I was working on a report of Biblical monsters,but that was over a year ago. I regret pushing the knowledge from memory.

The large horse like creature had hairy arms;muscular like a wrestler and hairy like a gorilla's. I caught my breathe it turn its head and eyed me. It's snout released cold air and it made a grunting noise as it began observing me cautiously.

I was afraid. No,I was terrified. It was gazing at me,eyes boring into mine,with deep intent to kill and destroy. I was yet again. The gun was in my hand,but I had no desire to move. Something took place in my body that felt like burning heat and surrender. Except,I didn't want to surrender. My body ached as it looked me over again.

Was he checking if I was good enough to eat?

Am I worth the time to kill?

Is it going to pounce on me yet?

I was up for a surprise,because the creature turned and jumped out the window. It literally jumped like a graceful jungle cat,breaking the expensive glass,tiny pieces everywhere. My breathe caught for awhile as more questions began to bundle up in my brain.

It was about 10 PM now. I had enough for the night. I would figure all of this out in the morning. But why would I? How can I go on,thinking nothing as strange as this took place tonight? How can I just call the police and say it was just a break-in? My parents were dead,unfortunately,and that monster,I had to face myself.

I still think about why this happened to me! There were other people in the world,but it chose me. There's no reason to hold the gun. I fell to my

knees,taking in too much.

My life was crappy as usual. I will never forget the dreadful events that progressed tonight,from fear to slaughter,to a single mystery that I'll need to find out on my own.

This is the beginning of the end of two months.

Fate is never our choice. It never was,and will never be. It is chosen for us,no matter what. I still remember that night,the murder of my parents by this unknown creature,who,by the way,spared my life. I still ask this question:Why?

I have no where to go. At this point in my life, I didn't think I even need a place to say. There is no reason to live once you've lost all you ever loved,all you ever cared about.

I plan to stay in Philadelphia. No one knew of my whereabouts after I fled on the night of my parents' death. I didn't want anyone to find me. The only person I trusted was Shirley Evans,my neighbor. She hid me quite well after I spilled everything out to her. She took it all in and kept her mouth shut. I was grateful for that.

“Don't you think you need to get back to school?” Shirley,age 26,asked.

“You think I can go back to school now? It's been two months! You can't enroll me this early. It's only August.” I replied.

“Sorry babe. I'm not gonna let you talk yourself out of this one!” she said.

And here I am,sitting on the front porch,letting Shirley create fake birth certifications and coming up with a new name for me. Using my real name would arouse suspicion and arouse attention to the question,” Where is the missing child of Mr. and Mrs. Moore after their death that can not be explained?”

The obsession of looking for me was over. No one actually cared anymore. Some concluded I might have died along with them(except for the fact my body was never found.).

I also got over the fact that I am indeed an orphan. It isn't a big deal,but I get really upset sometimes. And it never looks pretty when I throw a fit. I would usually punch the wall,or pound the floor. I'm alright afterwards,no damage intended.

After all,it's September 7th now. Tomorrow will be the first day of school. I would be able to start my whole life all over again. I glance up at the sky and laugh at myself for being stupid before. I didn't have to change my name. Maybe it is time that everyone find out the truth that I am still alive. However,they might ask questions about my parents' death. Laying low is so not my thing.

Shirley was out to grab some groceries at ShopRite and left me alone in the house. I walk around,still curious about all the mini statues and dolls she

collected throughout the years. They all look different. One Is an angel,holding his hands and looking down at his feet. Another is a demon,horns sticking out and a long pointed tail that he holds with one arm. The free arm holds a black staff. I walk down the shelf and see this doll that looks a lot like the one that I would've seen in the Toys R' Us magazines. It has large blue eyes,the color of the ocean,and spreads out her arms as if wanting an embrace from me. I am not sure,but I thought I saw it blink!

I stare at it in the eyes. Am I hallucinating? What is wrong with me?

I stroll into the kitchen and sit at the table,reading the latest People magazine until Shirley came back with dinner ready.

“Diana! I have a new name I thought up on the way to the store!” she cries out in delight. I smirk to myself and look up at her and see that she is looking me over.

“What is it?”I ask with little interest.

“Why,it's Bloom!” she finally says,”Isn't it a beautiful name?”

I roll my eyes and stare at her brown eyes,which is the same shade as mine,”I don't want to offend you,but that name sounds a little too cute and innocent for me,don't you think?”

She fidgets with some grocery bags and lift it onto the counter,”I've worked so hard to come up with names for you!”

I give a small sigh,directly to myself. It was wrong of me to put her in this position to babysit me. I feel as if I'm the worse person in the house now.

As Shirley unloads the grocery,I got out my iPhone and began looking through my list of songs,anything that would distract me for a bit. Shirley shakes her head in my direction,and I know why.

It was because I was a burden she'll carry with her for the rest of her life.

It was because she lost two neighbors she barely knew.

It was because she couldn't afford more than another person to live with her.

I gaze at her chocolate brown hair,brown eyes,pale skin,and a wrinkle free,long-sleeved dress. I would do anything to be her!Anything!

“So,what will it be tonight?Steak or fried chicken?”she asks in her usual calm state.

I shrug,”Any I guess.”

“How about Victoria?Or Jenna? Ida?” she begins to suggest names again.

“I'll think about the names. I wouldn't want to waste your time.”I say and leave the kitchen.

“What about Alexa?” she calls from the kitchen.

I actually smile a bit ever since my first day in this house. Alexa... I like the sound of that name,taking the place old goody-Diana. Alexa had an edge in the name.

“Thanks!”I call back,”I think we found a name!”

I wake up the next morning,rested well and ready to begin my first day at Ben Franklin High. It is close to Shirley's house. Shirley had thought of

transferring from my old school,the one I started with Freshman and Sophomore year. I'll be starting my Junior year in this alien school. Luckily,I don't need to ride the bus back and forth anymore. Unfortunately,I'm leaving a lot of my friends behind,who are still mourning about my disappearance.

I slip into a robe and walk downstairs to the kitchen.

“Good morning, Alexa.” Shirley greets as I sit in a wooden chair.

“I'll need to get use to that,” I grumble. She set down a bowl of scrambled eggs in front of me and I ate. I push some of my brown locks(that I curled yesterday night) out of my face.

Shirley stares at me and laughs. I look up,”What?”

“Nothing really,”she smiles and begins preparing her breakfast.

I feel nervous and my hands are coated in sweat. I didn't know what came over me,but I feel like someone or something was watching me from afar. I still had the gun from the night of the murder,tucked away in the bottom drawer.

“Shirley,”I say. She turns around and look at me,”What do you really think of me?”

She shrugs and turns back to making her breakfast,”A blessing.”

It is disappointing because I know that it isn't the full truth,”No,seriously. Don't you think that I'm...” I pause for awhile,”... a burden.”

She swings around and points the wooden spoon at me,”For God's sake,if you were ever a burden,why would I bother taking you in?” she mumbles under her breathe and went back to work.

I try again,”Don't you think you already have more than enough to worry about without me in the equation?”

Shirley gives out a huff and turns to me,” No. I take care of everything my own way. Accept that,please. No more of this nonsense!”

I nod and scrape my bowl clean,”Well,see ya!” I give her a quick kiss on the cheek and set the bowl into the sink. I quickly change and went downstairs.

I grab the backpack from the sofa,in which Shirley had bought for me the other day,and run out the door,grabbing my class schedule off the glass accent table on the way.

The streets aren't so complicated. I stare at the trees lining the curb of the sidewalk. For a moment,I feel at peace with myself. My parents aren't with me now,but I will eventually cry again,just the thought of them.

Ben Franklin High is a large,marble building with black tainted windows. The students are walking up the steps to where two red doors are opened. I like the school automatically,and couldn't explain this awkward feeling that begins to prickle on my skin,creating goosebumps.

I walk up to the main office and see two large boys talking to the secretary. I am sitting in a plush red chair,examining my class schedule, when one of the boys look my way.

He stares at me for a while and gives a small smile,his jet black hair covering his eyes. He nudges the other the boy standing next to him and nods in my direction. The other boy finally turns after several attempts and catches my eyes.

He is quite stunning,and looks a lot like the other boy. They must be
brothers. I begin to compare and contrast them,their posture,facial expressions,and style. They continue talking to the secretary and one of the boys started to leave. I look down at my schedule again,not wanting eye contact with either of them.

Once they leave,I stand up and walk toward the secretary,who is furiously typing on her computer keyboard.

“I'm Alexa Moore,a new student,”I say politely and smoothing my new shirt and skirt to look as well collected and presentable as possible.

The secretary pushes her glasses above her eyes and squints at me,”Darn,I know you somewhere. Seen you somewhere before,”she mumbles.

I give out a small laugh and stare at the lady,whose name is Emily Cockers,”So,I'm ready for my first day!”

Emily nodded and lowers her glasses and stares at me,”I seen you on that newspaper. You any relations to Diana Moore? You look exactly like her!”

I raise an eyebrow and begin my lies,”Well,I've heard of her. I don't know her quite well. My adoptive mother,Shirley,said I might have been her twin sister.”

Emily nods and looks at the computer screen again,”Well,have a great first day! And here,” she hands over a small delicate,silver chain,” thought you might want this.”

I back away and toward the door,”It's okay. Thanks.”

After the secretary took my school report cards that Shirley created,I walk down the hall and towards room 57;my first class is Biology.

I walk in and see rows of neat desks. I sit in the very back and watch as more kids begin to file through the door. I notice the jet-black haired boy from the office and look away. We had made eye-contact for only a short-time,and he seems to be getting closer.

He stands at the edge of my desk and gives me those flirtatious eyes that I wouldn't want myself to get involved in,”Hi.”

I didn't look at him,and watch as more of my new,foreign classmates look for seats,”Hi,”I say without interest.

He creases his eyebrows and nods,”So,you're new around here?”

I roll my eyes and glance up at him,”Obviously.”

He nods,”Mind if I show you around during third period?”

I shrug,”Maybe. I might be busy,but maybe.”

He takes the seat that's across from me and sits down,”So,what's your name?”he asks.

I look ahead and said with a lack of emotion,”Alexa.”

I was getting annoyed soon enough when he keeps talking to me. He is probably trying to see if I ask him about his name.

We sit in silence and I am glad that I was finally at the conciliate mood. I'm not a talkative person,especially to boys that have it all in to you,just to strip off what they want. I fold my hands on the desk and cross my legs,waiting for the teacher to come.

When the teacher, a male wearing a black blazer and jeans,walks in,I
was immediately at ease and squirm comfortably in my seat.
“Good morning class. I am Mr. Robertson,as you've recalled. We'll start first semester with...,”and before I hear anything more,there was a ringing noise in my ear.

Why? Not here,please! I didn't know why these things happen to me. Ever since my parents' death,I hear,see,and feel things that I don't usual expect to occur in my life. I hear nothing,and focus my attention on the sound of screeches,moans,and words I couldn't make out. Somehow,I manage to catch the words “power”,”chosen”,”satyr”. What was a satyr?

“... Alexa our new student,” Mr. Robertson says loud and clear that manages to jolt me back to reality. What do I do now?

All my new classmates stares at me ad begins to whisper upon one another.

“She looks like Diana Moore...”

“Could she be a cousin of Diana's?”

“Wonder what happened to the Moore family...”

I am given strange looks and almost the whole class is observing me,from the features of my face to what I am wearing. I shift in my seat and feel nervous.

I sigh and slowly stand up and give a shaky wave,”Hey,I'm Alexa Moore,”and right then,I felt stupid and ridiculous.

The class is in an uproar by the sound of my last name. Mr. Robertson gives me a look of impertinence. My body shakes and I sit back down. Everyone wouldn't drop the matter about me. They keep wondering if I'm related to Diana,why I look exactly like her. It's hard to blurt the truth of myself out; I wouldn't want everyone giving me second thoughts of how I'm a very good liar and shouldn't be trusted.

Mr. Robertson clears his throat boisterously and the class looks at him. I am relieved that the attention was toward him now. A second longer,and I would've fainted.

Mr. Robertson teaches and I fidget,unable to explain the noises to myself or why I would put myself in a mess like this. Shouldn't everyone know the truth that I'm Diana? Shouldn't they know how my parents were killed,even if they thought I was crazy? Shouldn't I be at my old school,even if I draw much attention?

After an hour and a half of biology,the bell rings and I quickly gather my things and scurry outside,not wanting to bump into someone who would eventually start asking questions.

I run down the hallway and tried to look for the girl's room. I didn't want to go to my second class,probably because of the introductions,and a replay of questions coming from each pupils' mouth. When I finally find it,I went right in and lock myself in a stall. I drop my schoolbag and lean on the cold walls. I hear the door open and peek through a crack from the door. A girl with flaming red hair,wearing nothing but a low V neck sweater and jeans,is accompanied by another brunette wearing a different colored V neck sweater and baggy sweats.

“Heard about the new girl?” the girl with red hair asked.

“Subject of the day,of course,”the brunette replies.

Red-head takes out a tube of mascara and lean toward the mirror and applies it,”The guys are also talking 'bout her. Didn't see her yet. Heard she was smokin',”

The brunette shrugs,”I still think you're the prettiest in the whole school.”

Red-head laughs and gives a smirk,”Wonder hat Alexa looks like. I heard clearly that she looks like the Diana Moore girl.”

“Probably,” the brunette answers,”I bet she is Diana Moore!”

Red-head nods and looks at the brunette,”Let's go,the bell's about to ring.”

“Think she might be in out class?”

“How should I know?”

They leave and I unlock the stall. Eavesdropping on the conversation made me realize: I'm more famous than I thought!

I walk home alone that day,replaying today's events. I actually thought it would play out a different way;me making friends,being included in groups and club,and gossiping about normal things like all the other girls.
But I wasn't that type of person and never will be.

When I finally reach the front door of Shirley's house,I heard some crunching twigs and leaves rustling. The weather changed abruptly from a cool breeze to fierce winds. My hair gets picked up in the draft and I couldn't see a thing. Then,it suddenly stops. I freeze and turn around.

No one.

Absolutely no one,except the grass.

The bushes.

And a shadow-

I quickly pound on Shirley's front door,”Hello?”

There is no answer and I begin to worry. Where is she? Why is that shadow,that seems to haunt me almost everywhere,here? Why me? Why now?

The racket turns into soft scratching on the wooden door,”Shirley?”

Suddenly,the door opens and Shirley's eyes looks wide and rageful,”What is wrong with you Diana?”she hisses and pulls me in.

“I-I saw something out there!”I pant.

She shakes her head and glares at me,”Does that mean you should drill your fists through my front door?Heck,I thought you were about to make this house break down!”

I look at her and say,”Okay,sorry. I can't explain now,but,yeah. It's just that this High school is making me crazy. Everyone seems to be so interested in me.”

Shirley softens her impatiently annoyed mood and smooths her hands

down my shoulders,”Well,the first day of school is never as fun as the last.
“The least I can tell you.”she smiles and walks into the kitchen.

I sigh with relief. I will never be able to tell her about my hallucinations,even if they weren't hallucinations and I was seeing the real thing.

I look up as she calls over her shoulders,”Try the doorbell next time. That'll do fine!”

I laugh under my breathe and hurried upstairs to my bedroom.

The next morning,it is already Thursday.

Another day at Ben Franklin High.

Another day of questions.

I get dressed and stumbled downstairs. Shirley is still asleep and soon I realized it's only 5:13 AM. I roll my eyes at my own lack of time management and thought about going for a morning run. This part of Philly isn't so dangerous anyhow.

I tie my shoelaces and quietly unlock the front door. I walk steadily on the cement path and finally got to the sidewalk. Getting a running start,I bend one of my knees back and the other forward. Gaining energy,I push myself forward and find myself passing lines of houses in a blur.

I make it toward the stop sign and heave to catch my breathe. It feels good to be free,able to run and all. Something isn't right in my life though. There is something I am missing,always missing. I look down Branch Street and felt a presence. Someone-or something- is watching me from afar. What is it I feel? Why didn't I bring my gun?

I turn back ,facing the stop sign,only be eye to eye with a familiar face.

The boy that hasn't spoken to me after our few seconds of eye-contact in the office,is breathing down on my cheeks now.

“What are you doing out here early in the morning?” he asks in an unemotional tone.

I look up to his face and realized how tall he was,”Should it be any of your business?”I challenge.

He grabs my arm and pulls me down the street,”It's not safe out here,especially for you.” he says in a sober manner.

I wrench free of his grasp and he turns around,annoyed,”What's not safe for me?What's out there?” I ask.

He walks up closer to me and I felt the heat coming off of him,even through his motorcycle jacket,”It's. Not. Safe.”
He grabs both of my arms and I try to struggle free,”You didn't answer my question,”I blurt out and try to struggle from his very strong arms.

He didn't look at me as we halt,and just like that,I knew something was wrong.

Terribly wrong.

He looks around for awhile,pulling me close behind him. I observe the distant houses,shadows,and trees,too. I hear something...I didn't know what.

Suddenly,he pulls me in a one-eighty degree motion and cautiously

and I knew he detected a presence,too.

I breathe onto his back,his hands getting tighter and tighter on my wrists. I turn in time to see a hairy face that I thought I'd never see again.

I am paralyzed,yet again,like the first night I saw the monster. It looks more terrifying than before. Is it going to clean up the mess he left behind. Will it be painless?

Before I knew it,I hit the ground with a thud,my back having been thrown onto a tree and my head spinning. Did he just throw me? Or was it the monster?

I hear grunts and a terrifying roar. Obviously,the boy is fighting it. I'm sure he would lose,but I took my chances.

Everything is a blur and make out only two blurry figures,jumping and pounding each other in swift movements. Suddenly,there is a crack of bones and I cringe at the noise. My eyes are closed,saving me the pain of watching the battle.

I still wish I had brought my gun.

I am floating.

I didn't see what I am floating on,but I know my feet wasn't touching ground.

Only air.

The breeze brush against my bare legs and I drift off.

I woke up,just in time to see the boy. His face is inches from mine,and I quickly push him off of me. He falls to the floor of my bedroom and stands up.

“Looks like you're doing fine.” he says.

I rub my temples,”You think?”I grumble.

He shoves his hands into his pockets,”Is that how you'd thank a guy for saving your ass?”

I look at him with disbelief,”Excuse me?”

He shrugs,”What happened back there wasn't a form of imagination,”he says.

I roll my eyes,”You didn't even mind to clarify what did happen back there?”

He laughs and I give him a menacing look,”Sorry,but you wouldn't believe this shit anyway.”

“Oh,cut me some slack!I've been through enough to believe anything!”I choke out.

“Fine,but it won't be pretty.” he mumbles under his breathe and sits at my desk.

“I didn't get to catch your name,by the way,”I say,sitting up on bed and look at the clock : 5:59 AM. I cringe at the pain on my back.

“ Felix Walker,”he replies in a monotone way.

I nod and look down at my hands,Well,Felix,tell me exactly what happened!”

He shakes his head and gestures toward the clock,”Not here,not now.

“Your guardian will be waking up soon. I should head back to my place.”

I kick off the sheets and get out of bed. I didn't care that my spine is aching,and walk up towards him,”I don't think I'm going to school today.”

Felix looks up at me and says,”Why not?”

I shrug,”Isn't it already obvious?Everyone is wondering who I am,what I am!”

Felix flashes me a small smile,his face wrinkles,”I'm not quite curious about this life of yours. However,you are quite dashing,that's all I know.”

I allow my left leg to support me as I smirk and say,”Are you flirting with me?”

Felix doesn't give a single emotional reaction to my comment and says,”Why in the world would you think that?” he chuckles and it makes me feel at edge.

I shake my head,”I guess you should go. I heard Shirley's bedroom door open.”

Felix nods and walks toward my closet door,”So I'll see you around?”

I cross my arms over my chest,”Just leave.”

Felix walks into my closet and shuts the door. Is he playing games with me now?

I give out a groan and stroll to my closet,predicting that my justifications are true. He is in there! But when I open the door,he isn't there. I dig through hangers that held my sweaters, jackets and T-shirts,but he isn't there. At all!

“Felix?” I whisper.

There is no answer,and I finally give up searching for him.

I run downstairs and went straight to the kitchen. Shirley reads out of the morning's paper as she waits for the waffles to finish and burst out of the toaster.

“Good Morning!”I greeted and dig through the refrigerator for some milk.

Shirley looks up and smiles,”So,how did you sleep?”

I purse my lips and get a plastic cup from the dish racket,”Honestly,I wouldn't say it was amazing.” I say sarcastically.

Shirley wrinkles her nose,”Well,was it horrible?”

I laugh,”Why are you curious about my sleep?”

Shirley look back at her paper,”Just making conversation.”

I pour the milk into the cup and drank heartily. The morning run-in with Felix wasn't a coincidence. He was there for a reason. I shrink down on a chair and smooth my hair. Why did Felix save me? How did he save me? What is he?

The last question scares me the most. He can't be strong enough to fend off the unknown monster that had haunted me for two months. I didn't even know what I am up against.

The waffles jumped out of the toaster and onto a plate. It jumps onto two plates perfectly. I am always in awe when that happens. Shirley never explain to me how she does it. I tried it once before and it ended up in the dishwasher.

“Breakfast is served,”Shirley says without looking up from her paper.

I stride towards the two plates and selected one. Taking a bottle of syrup

out of the cabinet,I sit back down across from Shirley,who is engrossed in an article.

“What are you reading?” I ask as I pour syrup onto the waffles.

She bites her bottom lip and pushes the newspaper toward me that is titled:

Third Family Slaughter in the past 2

Months!!!!

I flip to the article page and see a picture of mourning relatives towering over three graves. It is such a depressing picture I wanted to cry,but stop myself. I should feel bad,not mourn along with them!

“That is tragic,”I say and forked at my waffles.

“Devastating,” she says under her breathe.

I let my shoulders rise and drop as I chew,”Not like we can actually do anything,” I pointed out.

Shirley stands up and leans on the table,”There is something I can do.”

I look up at her,”I what would that possibly be?”

She holds up a finger wisely and replies,”I'm going to investigate this case and find what is behind all of this!”

I make a face of confusion,”Don't you mean who?”

She shakes her head,”Nope,no human can actually rip off chunks of flesh in 3 minutes,can they?”

“With a knife,yeah.” I challenge.

She glares at me,”Whatever! I'm going into town today and ask questions!”

I giggle,”When did you become Detective Shirley?”

“When?You ask when? Since I was interested in murder cases that takes years to solve,that's when! Now eat the rest of your breakfast! We both have a busy day ahead of us.”

She turn on her heals and stumbles out of the kitchen, excited and newly motivated.

I say nothing and continue finishing my breakfast. I didn't inform her that I won't be at school today. I didn't want her to worry or anything. If she wants to work on a murder case,I'll have to accept it.

I grab my empty backpack on the sofa on my way out. I look through one of the second story windows and watch as Shirley forces a comb through her hair. She is so centralized on her task that she doesn't notice me watching. When I didn't see her anymore,I run the opposite direction of school,towards the city,and on my way to freedom.

I didn't have a particular destination. All I want is to run free from everything that happened to me,from my parents death,to my hallucinations

and then,to the lies I currently live now. There is no one else to turn to for help besides Shirley. I stroll pass Advantage Books, McDonalds,Mark's Crown,and Child's Dormitory and went right into Mary's,a local Philadelphia Grill. Most kids from any would hang out here because of the warm atmosphere and inviting aromas of the barbeque.

Jacob Wilson was sitting at the very last table in the far right corner near the restrooms. He was reading the newspaper,smirking now and then. I remember him as one of my closest friends at my old high school. He didn't seem to be interested in my disappearance,as far as I've observed over the summer in hiding. I was always watching on the sidelines in a hoodie,baseball cap,and sunglasses,hands stuffed in my jeans pocket. He kept talking to his friends and had a great time without me,it seems. I wonder why.

I walk up towards him and slam my fist on the table. The karaoke play songs in full blast and he didn't seem to notice me. I lean towards his face and his eyes grow wide in a perplexed manner.

I smile,”Hello,”and I slide into the seat besides him.

He cringes,as if not sure that I'm real or not,but taking a closer look at me he frowns,”Where have you been all this time?” he whispers.

I stop feigning the smile and say in a serious tone,”Why haven't you come searching for me for the past two months?”
He looks at me and gives a faint laugh,”Wow,I'm not surprised,”he mumbles to himself. He rubs the bridge of his nose and coughs.

I force him to look at me,”Answer my question.”

He looks away,”Not until you've answered mine.”

I lean into my seat,propping both legs crossed on the table,”Well,it's none of your business unless you plan on calling FBI.” I cross my arms over my chest.

“Maybe I should,for the fact that you disappeared the night of your parents' death.” he says in full authority.

“You don't scare me. I know what you've been up to over the past two months. Why would I believe you even care? All you did was sit back,relax,and wait for news about me.” I say in a hurtful way.
“I would worry if I knew the story behind this mess,”he leans towards me and whispers,”What is the story behind it,Diana?”

“Let's get it all straight first. Number one,you didn't care about my whereabouts. Number two,I don't need to answer any questions you ask because of Number one. And number three,you can't tell me what to do because of number one,still!” I give him the middle finger and look out the window.

He laughs,so loud,everyone turns to stare to try and catch the joke. Only it was no joke. It was the fact my closest friend doesn't care about me and didn't like me in the first place.

When everyone turns back to their usual plans,he whispers through grit teeth,”You can't fancy talk out out of the topic,sweet pea. Now answer the question!”

I glare at him,”I went into hiding,”

“Where?”he asks urgently.

“At a friend's.”I look at him innocently.

He leans closer to my face that I felt his breathe on my cheek,”I know you better than anyone else. I know when you lie and I know that I'm your only friend. Now tell me,where were you for the past two freakin' months.”

I pull back and slide my legs off the table,”Now,now,don't get all upset Jacob. Besides,I'm your friend. Aren't you even glad that I'm well and alive?”

He shakes his head,”I didn't even know it was possible that you're still living!”

I cringe at those precise words,”You want me dead?”

He rolls his eyes and grumbles,”Don't put it that way. You don't understand much. Not yet.”

“Understand what?”I ask,confusion washing my face.

He cracks his knuckles and look around,averting his attention on something else besides me,for a change,”Nothing. But still,I wouldn't plan on calling FBI so early. You have a place to stay right?”

I nod.

He nods in reply,”Good,good.” He doesn't make eye-contact with me.

I sit there,hands folded in lap as I stare at Jacob. He looks the same as always,blonde hair cropped upward with hair-gel,his muscular,tanned body is still in shape,and I still recognize his cologne. He watches me intently and finally clears his throat.

“So,yeah,my behavior changed a bit. I'm still the friend you want me to be,though. Sorry about my attitude before.”he says with a sigh.

“No prob. I get a bit on edge at times,too.”I say.

He looks into space again,day-dreaming,and I'm left to day-dream myself. What happened to Jacob these past months when I wasn't spying on him? Why did that monster come back for me? How did it find me? Why did Felix rescue me? What is Felix? Am I still dreaming? Am I hallucinating? What is Felix doing now?

Nothing adds up anymore. First the monster killed my parents,then it comes back two months later. If I told someone,they'd think I was crazy. I need to find more information on this-this monster. I hate to think that I'm even involved in such a supernatural case.

A shadow falls over Jacob and I and I avert my attention to the possessor. It was the boy that annoyed me in class yesterday. He smiles at me and says,”Hey Alexa. I haven't introduced myself properly yesterday. I'm Xenith Walker.”

Jacob looks at him and glares,but it didn't affect Xenith,”And you must be Jacob.”

Jacob creases his eyebrows,”How do you know me?”

Xenith shrugs and turns back to me,”I'm guessing you've already had an acquaintance with my brother Felix Walker,am I right?”

I nod and feign a smile,”Um... yeah,of course.”

Jacob abruptly gets on his feet and stares bullets at Xenith,”What are you? How do you know me?”

Xenith looks calm and raises his hands in defeat,”Dude,chill out. It's no

big deal,”he nods toward a name tag clipped on his shirt,”Does that answer
your question?”

Jacob looks down at his shirt,”The hell...”he mumbles.

“Alexa,why don't we go to the library? It's a quiet place to be,and I'm bored.” he takes my arm,but I pull away.

“Aren't you suppose to be at school?”I ask.

“I'd ask the same of you.”he says.

I look at Jacob,”Well,I have to go. I'll see you around.”

I follow behind Xenith towards the exit. Jacob pulls me back for a moment and whispers in my ear,”Why did he call you Alexa?”

I left,leaving Jacob's question hanging. There was no time to explain,especially in front of Xenith. They'd never understand.

“Mind telling me what all of that was about?”he asked to break the silence.

I hesitate,”I-I have no idea. I just ran into an old friend and...talked about things.”

He looks down at me and gives me his puppy-face look that makes him look cute,”Is that so? Didn't look like a friendly spat to me.”

I shrug and stuff my hands into my jean pockets,”Well,we usually get along,”I sigh and look up at the clear blue skies,”but he's...changed,I guess.”

His gaze is fixed on my face as he says,”Well,it sure is a lot to take it. Never met a girl who can actual take a fistful of shit and swallow it down.”

I smile and we both stay that way until we reached the Free Library. I remember the last time I was here,it was only April. I was sitting near the window,reading a book on mythical creatures and legendary heroes. It wasn't for a project,but for fun. Someone had come up to me that afternoon,a lady in a bright pink dress. She had a small purse and gestured a necklace to me.

“Little girl. I have a gift from a secret admirer of yours.”she said.

I looked up at her,”A secret admirer?”

“Ah,yes. Told me not to tell you. Otherwise,it wouldn't be a secret anymore,would it?”

I shook my head,”No m'am.”

“Well then,do you want to know who your secret admirer is?”

I noded.

She urged the necklace towards me,”Put it on.”

I stared at her and took the necklace in both hands and studied it. The chain was gold and the pendent was a silver circular pointed square. I couldn't help but stare at its beauty,my hand wanting to clasp it around my neck. Something stopped me,a force that cut off my trance for such a desire. The necklace dropped out of my reach and I made my way out the door.

“You still there?”a voice echoes through my head.

I shake my head back and forth and masage my temples with cold fingers,”Hmmm...what?”

Xenith's arms were on me,steadying me,”Thought I lost you there for a
moment,”he laughs,”Why don't we go inside and sit down?”

I give a small nod and he practically carries me inside. My legs feel numb,but I am perfectly fine.

I seat myself in a chair,fully active,as Xenith sits at the seat across from me.

“So,how have you been?”Xenith asks with an alluring smile.

“You think I should be here socializing with you?”I say,question of my own.

“Well,I just want to know you better.”he says and frowns at my lack of interest.

I grimace,”Excuse me?”

“Nothing,”he runs his fingers through his hair and gives out a bored sigh.

I stand up,”I should go make a library card.”

He stares at me,”You don't go to the library around here?”

I nod,”Not much into books,”I lie and made my way towards the counter.

He follows along and again,I get annoyed.

I whirl around,”What do you want?”I ask through gritted teeth.

I steps back with both hands held up,”Whoah! Don't get all frisky on me.”

I glare at him and turn back to my destination. Lusette Rachel stands at the counter,looking young in her early twenties. She was typing on her computer before giving me a second glance.

“And you are?”she asks,not looking up.

“Dia-Alexa Moore.”I almost forgot my other name.

Lusette looks up and stares at me like everyone else at school. She blinks for a while,checking if her vision is a 20/20. But obviously,she knows that Diana is gone,and I'm Alexa.

“Di-Alexa,you look a lot like Diana.”Lusette stammers.

I nod as if I understood what she meant,”Yeah,I get that a lot. I guess I'm just her twin or doppleganger or whatever.”

She smiles and asks,”New in town?”

I shrug,”Maybe. I just need a card and I'm on my way.”

She looks me over a second time,”Isn't there school today?”she notices Xenith,”For both of you?”

I give her my best innocent smile,”Don't worry. A day off for me.”

She turns to Xenith,”And you! Should I tell your uncle where you were besides school?”

Xenith looks at Lusette,then at me,”I am also having a day off.”

Lusette smirks the way she usually does,”You know darn well that you're not a good liar. Straight to school with 'ya!”

Xenith starts to moan,”But I just got here!”

“No excuses Mr. Walker. Now leave before I dial your Uncle's number!”Lusette hisses.

Xenith strolls toward the entrance,then calls over his shoulder,”See 'ya around!”

I didn't look at him as I fill out papers. I didn't have a student ID number,though,which aroused more problems to myself.

“Lusette,I don't have a student ID number.”I admit.

She looks at me with new curiosity,”Odd. What school do you attend?”

“Well,I'm currently in my junior year at Ben Franklin's high. Enrolled there a week ago. I use to go to The Soviet Union Academy.” I explain.

Her eyes went wide and she starts to tap her chin softly,”This is quite strange. What did you say your name was?”

“Alexa Moore.”I reply.

“I don't remember an Alexa Moore in that academy,but I do recall a Diana Moore. She disappeared two months ago and suddenly her exact look-alike shows up with the same last name.” she wrinkles her nose. My heart is beating rapidly. Does she know? Will she tell? Why did I mention my old high school?,”How odd.”

I just give her an assuring smile,”Well,I guess the world is small sometimes and you wouldn't know what you'll run into these days.”

Lusette's face is stamped with buoyancy as she draws out her driver's license,”Now here,I'll let you be my special guess and use my license number,”she taps on the keyboard and walks to a desk. She takes out a plastic library card and scrawls my name on it with a Sharpie.

I look give her a perplexed look,”That..wasn't so necessary.”

She flashes me her straight white teeth,”No problem. I just wanted to do something nice for some one that looks like an old friend.”

I gaze around the room and then back at her,”I..I don't know what to say. Thanks.”

“You're welcome.”

I head out of the library and bump into Xenith,who has been waiting outside.

“What are you doing?”I ask,pushing him away.

His eyes looks tense as he says,”We need to go somewhere.”

“I need to get back home,Xenith. We can talk some other time.” I reassure,”Don't worry. I'll be at school tomorrow.”

He shakes his head,”I see Felix coming our way,we have to go. Now!”
He pulls me down the sidewalk and kept glancing behind him.

I struggle out of his grasp,”Okay. You are pretty weird and I barely know you. I can make my own choices,too,you know.”

He turns and looks at my face,”You want to meet up with Felix? You barely know him,too!”

“Fine! I'm going to leave with no one. I didn't plan to even see anybody!”

“What about Jacob?”

“What do you mean about Jacob?”

“Weren't you meeting up with him?”

I groan,”No. I ran into him. It's none of your business,so excuse me,I'm leaving.”

I saunter away and look behind my shoulder to see Xenith glaring at Felix. I suddenly realize how they have the same physical features and start to assume that they might be brothers.

How cruel of me not to give a single spare moment of my time.

But who cares anyway.

I find myself lying on my back in Center City Park,the lush grass brushing my legs as I stare up at the clouds that pass by. Whenever I'm in such a peaceful position,the gears in my brain start working down memory lane.

I see myself,age 3,my mother's pretty face staring into my eyes. She was fit to be a model,yet she chose to become a chef at Applebees. She was teaching words to me that most children at my age wouldn't learn. She starts with something simple,like “cookies”,or”milk” and,”Father.” Never in my life have I called dad,dadda.

I flash forward to my first swimming class in fifth grade. I recall a girl named Brianna Lanson,who was so jealous of me,that she pushed me into the pool. She wanted to embarrass me,but that failed. My chin is always held high,and I didn't fight back. I already knew how to swim. Brianna and my parents didn't know that grandmother had taught me when I was four,though. Mom signed me up for these classes anyway.

The breeze felt cool on my cheeks as I sit up. The park is empty,except for a couple,walking down the street,hand in hand. I didn't want to recall old memories anymore. I still felt like I'm carrying a burden;I wish to drop it. And the fact that the couple is strolling together like that made me realize how alone I felt. I have no one to hold onto anymore. I have no one to live for.

Nobody.

Ever.

Unshed tears suddenly found its way to my sunlit cheeks and trails down my chin. Was it my fault that my parents are dead? Is it my fault now,that I'm living a complete lie? I can't take the guilt anymore! I need to talk to somebody,and soon!

I wrap my arms around my knees and stare at my feet. I sniffled a bit,but I'm fine. Dad always told me not to cry for something so useless. If he was here,I'd break the rules. I'd cry because he's still alive. But it wasn't true. It will never be true.

The sun rays washes me with its golden light,and I felt better. I vow never to cry again. I should live up to my parents. They'd be disappointed if I ever committed suicide.

Looking down at my shadow again,I traced an outline of the silhouette and laugh at myself for the stupidity of unnecessary tears. I didn't have a specific goal or ambition at the spur of the quiet moment. Not until,of course,my shadow starts to stand. It quivers and forms itself into a human form,towering over me. My body went slack and I tried to stumble backwards,only to fall on my back at its mercy.

Now I have an ambition.

A goal to uncover what was haunting me for the past two months.

The shadow moves fast,and it was hard for my eyes to keep up on its movements. Suddenly,it froze for a split second and launched itself onto me,caging my body in something dark,cold,and wet.

I didn't scream and built up my energy on fighting back.

The shadow is taking on its solid form,so I eventually grab its edges and

toss it aside. I abruptly stand up and gasp,staring as the dark cloud forms into the monster that haunted me...now and again.

The beast,its appearance appalling and hairy. Its horns points at my direction,horse legs straddled in an authorized position and foggy breathe flowing through its snout.

I wish I had brought my gun...as usual.

I realize that I can once more maneuver myself again. I'm actually getting good at this,I think. Practice makes perfect,of course. If I keep up my courage,I will no longer be paralyzed in future situations such as this.

The beast snorts in an angry way and starts to charge at me like a bull. I steer out of the way and run. My legs are pumping quick and I no time to glance back to see the distance between me and the abomination that had entered my life.

Why does this have to happen to me? ME?

I stop running for a moment to catch my breath. I heave loudly and strong hands grabbed my shoulders and whirled me around.

Felix.

“What happened?”he asks,eyes narrowed.

I shake my head and bend over,trying to catch my breath.

He kneels down besides me and I push him away. He refuses to let go as he holds me towards him.

“The situation is getting out of hand,Alexa. I'll be needing to tell you tomorrow.” he sighs and smooths his hands through my hair in reassurance.

“No,”I say,finding my voice,”tell me now.”

“Sorry. Not here.”he says and stands up,”I'll warn you about one thing however. That beast can feel memories,so don't start thinking about your life in an open area. If you want to go crazy over your own life and imaginations,do it in a crowded vicinity.”

“Why? I don't get it.” I say,confused.

“Just trust me on this,”he says.

I nod and bite my lower lip. Felix knows more than me. Whatever I'm clueless on is quite a mystery. I could be in danger like my family.

“One more thing,”Felix continues,”Stay away from Xenith. He's not to be trusted. And don't stay out of school on a school day.”

I raise an eyebrow at him,”Well,if you say so Mr. I-Don't-Follow-My-Own-Rules. Why are you out of school?”

He lends me a hand and I take it. He pulls me up and says,”I have reasons that you still wouldn't believe. Remember,just do as I say. I'm to be trusted.”

This book has 1 comment.

vazenitran98 said...
on Jan. 11 2012 at 1:43 pm

Comments anyone?