A life to remember | Teen Ink

A life to remember

By SwagLord790 BRONZE, lindon, Utah
SwagLord790 BRONZE, Lindon, Utah

oh be wise; what more can i say?

Author's note: good read

Michael schroder B1
A Day To Remember
John hurled the cold dead body over the top railing of the balcony. He watched as Megan’s body fell on the jagged rocks, smiled with delight, then walked back into the room where Keaton was left tied and beaten. John had finally accomplished his lifelong goal: having Keaton all to himself.
One day earlier
Keaton arose from bed and walked to the bathroom and then to the sink to splash his face to make sure he wasn't dreaming. He looked in the mirror and he knew that he had finally found happiness. He left and walked back to his room to find the love of his life, Megan, lying in bed garmentless; she was perfect in every sense of its meaning. Keaton sat down and started to draw on his notepad; with every stroke of his pencil he captured the beauty of what he saw.
An hour went by and he had since finished the drawing and went down stairs to make some breakfast. As he was cooking he heard footsteps behind him and peeked over the crest of his shoulder to see Meganwalking towards him wearing his white robe, just as the phone starts to ring. Megananswered it, “Oh yeah he’s here one second.” with a slight sigh she told Keaton “It’s John again.” Keaton grabbed the phone and talked with John for a few minutes and hung up the phone.
Keaton put everything down and said, “I have to go into work early today, but I’ll be back before dinner.” Not with much say in the matter, Meganjust agreed, “Okay see you at six.”
Keaton walked up the stairs to grab his car keys and grabbed his box of oil paints and brushes. As he was about to go back down stairs, he noticed the drawing he drew this morning and tore it from its binding, quickly folding it and sliding it into his back left pocket.
Keaton walked down the stairs and met Meganat the door to kiss her goodbye. Meganwatched Keaton climb into his car and drive away until he was out of sight. She walked over to the kitchen to clean up the mess Keaton had made attempting to cook. She walked towards the trashcan to toss the burned food away and went over to the sink to wash the dishes.
As she was washing a plate she heard the back door open. She yelled ,“Keaton is that you?” with no reply she set the dirty plate in the sink and turned around. But it wasn't Keaton, it was John.
“What are you doing here John? I thought you were at work with Keaton?” Meganasked.
John said nothing; he walked towards her soon revealing a metal pipe in his hand. Meganstepped back and frightened, she asked “John, what are you doing with that?”
John replied, “I've always loved Keaton, even longer than you!! You stole him from me and now I’m here to take him back!” John walked closer and lifted the pipe into the air, Meganplaced her hand on the edge of the sink and slipped, plunging into the water, frightened, clueless on what to do she felt for anything in the sink. She felt a handle but had no idea what it was. She had no time, John was about to swing, she squeezed as hard as she could a took a swing. Luckily what she had grabbed was a frying pan and John quickly fell to the floor.
Meganran to hide so she could call Keaton, but meanwhile John came to his senses and stood back up, annoyed and dazed with a throbbing inside his head; he was determined to get what he wants. John walked up stairs where he could hear someone talking in a closet. He walked over and stood in front of the door, tightly gripping the pipe in his hand. Meganbarely got Keaton to answer his phone; not even allowing Keaton to speak, Meganstarted to tell him everything. Before she could really say much she noticed someone was standing in front of the door. She knew it was John and she knew she was out of time; the door swung open and before Megancould react, John pounced like a kitten.
Keaton heard the racket and booked it out of his studio, jumping into his car, breaking every speed limit. Soon he could see his house, with John’s car parked out front. He skidded into the driveway and jumped out of the car leaving it running. Keaton burst through the front door yelling, “Meganwhere are you?!” he heard a loud scream coming from the upstairs bedroom.
Keaton ran as fast as he could and got to the doorway. He turned in and saw his wife bloody and beaten, not knowing if she was dead or not he reached out to touch her, but before he could John hit him across the head with his pipe making him fall to the floor.
Hours went by. John had Keaton tied to a chair and left Megan’s lifeless body on the floor. John knew he needed to figure out some way to get rid of her of her body. He stood up and walked out onto the balcony looking out on the ocean view. He looked down and directly below he saw the waves beating upon the rocks. John had his solution.
He turned and looked at Megan, walked over with an evil smile on his face, and started to drag her across the floor to the balcony. As he started to lift her up and over the railing, Keaton started to wake up.
Keaton’s vision cleared and he thought to himself “This must be a nightmare!” so he bites his own tongue to try and wake himself up, but nothing happens. Keaton then realizes that it is all real. He helplessly watches as John tried to hurl Megan’s body over the railing, but before John could give the final push Keaton yelled out “Please John! Stop this madness!”
Quite surprised by the fact Keaton was awake; John dropped Meganto the ground and walked over to Keaton. He bent down to meet him face to face and said “I’ve loved you since high school Keaton, and ever since you chose her over me its never been the same! So I’m here to get rid of her and take you back!”
With the anger boiling inside of Keaton he replied, “JOHN I WILL NEVER LOVE YOU! I LOVE MEGANAND I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HER!”
John taken back by what was said replied “Well watch me rid you of what you love.”
John turned and walked over to Megan’s helpless body and lifted her up onto the railing, Keaton’s screams and pleadings to stop fueled John’s anger even more. It gave him enough strength to give that final push so Megan’s body fell on to the jagged rocks, soon to be carried away by the thrashing waves.
John turned and started laughing by the fact Keaton was still calling out for her. John walked towards him with a new jolt in his step and picked up his metal pipe determined to make Keaton forget everything. He raised it into the air, the sun's rays reflecting off its shiny surface, and proclaimed “Keaton you can't love who you don’t remember!!”
One year later
Keaton awoke in a room with machines beeping and white as far as he could see. He felt like he was choking so he reached up to feel pipes going into his mouth. He pulled them out and threw them to the floor. An alarm started to sound and nurses started filing into the room. All of them shocked that he was awake! Keaton was confused by it all. He had no idea where he was or why he was there.
He had so many questions to ask but all he could get out with a raspy and tired voice is, “Where am I?”
A nurse replied “Sir you've been in a coma for just over a year.” The answer just made Keaton think of more questions, but the nurses quickly left the room and Keaton was alone once more.
A week went by and it was time for a psychologist to evaluate him to see if he was ready to go home. Keaton looked at the man and asked for his name, “Phil, call me Phil.” the man replied.
Phil sat down and asked, “Keaton, do you remember anything about John?”
Keaton sat there thinking, minutes went by and he still had no idea whom it was. Keaton gave up and answered, “No I don’t. Who is he?”
Phil said, “He’s your best friend, Keaton.”
As great as the news was, Keaton still had no idea who he was. Phil asked a few more questions and before he left he told Keaton “John will be here tomorrow morning to pick you up and take you home.” Keaton was thrilled he was going to be leaving this place.
Tomorrow came quicker than Keaton anticipated and he was already being escorted out the doors. He thanked the nurse for everything as she walked back in. Keaton turned around to see a man standing behind him. The man touched his arm and said, “Keaton!! I’m so glad to see you! How are you feeling?”
Keaton dug his hands into his pockets and replied, “Umm who are you?”
John acted shocked by his answer and said “It’s John! You don’t remember me?”
Keaton folded his arms and said quietly, “No, actually I don't. I don’t really remember anything.”
John quickly replied by saying “Oh’ I’m sorry to hear that, that’s too bad. But anyhow I’m here to take you home Keaton, my car is over here.”
They both got into the car and John started driving. It was about an hour. John parked the car they both out and walked over to the elevator. They both hopped in and John pushed the 40th floor button.
They arrived at John’s home safe and sound. Keaton looked out the window at the beautiful sky. John yelled from across the room, “Hey, I have to go grab some things at the store. I’ll be back shortly.”
John left, locking the door behind him. Keaton sighed with relief, glad he was alone again. He walked through most of the house and decided it’s a nice home. He opened John’s bedroom and to his surprise John had about 200 pictures of Keaton hanging up on his walls. Keaton was shocked by it all, but it started to bring back some memories from his childhood as he looked at all the pictures.
He decided that he wanted to put some real clothes on and went into John’s closet. There were more boxes than clothes. It seems like he just recently moved here. He dumped out the contents of some boxes but nothing looked appealing. He picked up one last box, as he picked it up he noticed the box behind it was labeled “Keaton’s Things”. Keaton threw the box in hand on the ground and grabbed the other box.
Keaton dumped its contents onto the floor only to be disappointed because it was just a box full of old muddy clothes, he kicked the empty box across the floor and sat down on the carpet frustrated. He grabbed the shirt but quickly noticed what he thought was mud was actually blood. He threw the shirt to the side and picked up the pair of pants. Keaton noticed, tucked away in the left back pocket was a folded piece of paper. He slowly pulled it out and read what was written on the front “To my one and only love, Megan” Keaton had no clue why this was in his pants, but he unfolded it and held it up into the light and he saw a drawing of a beautiful young woman lying without a stitch.
He stared at the picture almost like it was familiar to him somehow. Slowly but surely the memories started to come back to him. He remembered everything John done to him and Megan. Keaton’s anger began to boil, all of his emotions coming back and the image of Megan’s body being thrown over the railing replaying inside his head.
Keaton heard the front door open and heard John yell for him. Anger filled Keaton’s body and he knew he had a mission to get revenge. He stood up gripping the drawing in his right hand. He slowly walked to the kitchen where John was unpacking the groceries. Keaton walked in and said “I remember now, I remember everything John.”
John turned and gave Keaton a confused look. Keaton held the drawing to John’s chest. Crying, Keaton screamed at John “I REMEMBER EVERYTHING! “ John reached to try and grab the drawing but Keaton pushed John back. Before John could say one word Keaton yelled “Megan was literally my only reason to live, and you took her from me John!!” Keaton immediately ran at John in a full sprint, tears running down his face, he tackled John into the window, glass shattering behind him, they both fell from the 40th floor. Keaton let go of John and pushed him away so he could die alone. Keaton closed his eyes and held the drawing of Megan close to his chest, awaiting their reunion.