The Mysterious Ways of Love | Teen Ink

The Mysterious Ways of Love

By bengaltiger PLATINUM, seymour,mo, Missouri
bengaltiger PLATINUM, Seymour,mo, Missouri

that's what she said

Author's note: I was inspired to right this piece because I wanted to say what was in my heart, but couldn't share in spoken words.

The mountain was shimmering in the sun and the golden rays were beating down on the beautiful state of Oregon. The two people standing by the lake were basking in the sunshine and waiting for a fish to nibble at one of their lines that dipped into the cool, crisp water. Nikita glanced at Lacy as she jiggled her fishing line and thought about how much he loved her and how he wished that she love him, too. He sighed as he pulled on his line. She didn’t even have a clue as to how he felt. They had been friends since Kindergarten, but somewhere between swinging at recess and walking home after school, Nikita’s feelings of friendship had turned into love; the kind of love that lasted a life time. Lacy never seemed to figure this out, even though he thought there were enough clues to paint a picture. But Lacy remained clueless and still treated him as her best friend. She was still the same stuck up snob he had to beg for a chance at the swings when they met for the first time all those years ago on the playground. But now he didn’t care how Lacy treated him because he wanted to marry that girl someday. He loved her with all of his heart and soul and someday he would find a way to win her love.
“I saw a truck backing out of your drive yesterday afternoon.” His voice broke the silence of the morning and the wind rustled the tall grasses rooted around the edge of the lake. “Who was it? Was someone visiting your parents or were they there to see you?”
“It was just an old friend who stopped by to see me.” Lacy tugged on the line because it was getting tangled in some reeds by the edge of the bank. She turned to glance at Nikita as she gently tugged on the line.
“So who was the old friend?” Nikita kept looking at the clear blue water and the tiny fish swimming under the surface of the lake. “How well do you know him?”
“His name is Jason Carol. I told you about him before.” The sharpness in Lacy’s voice cut into the enjoyment of the day and Nikita frowned as he turned to look at her.
“Isn’t that your ex-boyfriend?” His voice sounded like there was gravel in his throat.
Lacy wrinkled her forehead and the smile on her lips melted into a frown. “I already told you that Jason was my ex-boyfriend. What’s wrong with him stopping by to see me? It’s not like you and me are dating or anything. I don’t owe you any explanations! What’s wrong with you? Why do you sound so angry?”
Nikita pulled sharply on his fishing line and stared out over the blueness of the water. “You told me that he put a hand on you and you dang well know I don’t put up with that stuff! Even if we are just friends that still don’t make it right.”
Lacy sighed and looked at him with sadness in her eyes. “Yes I know, calm down Nikita.”
“It’s not right Lacy and I’m tired of you getting hurt.” Nikita jerked on the fishing line and almost made it snag on a branch of a fallen tree.
“I know. I’m glad you care, but it’s really my choice. You don’t have any say in who I choose to be my friends. I’m glad you care, but things could be different now.” Lacy’s voice drifted away on the breeze as she stared at her fishing line.
Nikita stared at the ripples in the water. He wondered why she sounded so defensive. He knew Lacy had always just considered him to be a big brother, but down deep inside of his heart his feelings for Lacy ran deeper than the river they were fishing in. Nikita didn’t know what to say to Lacy after her outburst. Lacy was a good girl, but she always dated the druggies and ended up with guys who didn’t really care for her or respect her. This always ticked him off because he wanted the best for Lacy, but she never listened to any of his words of advice. It was like she was set on self-destruct and each new boyfriend broke a little bit more of her spirit and her heart. They always hung out every day after school and whenever Lacy wanted cigarettes he would always walk to the local Price Cutter and pick up a pack of her favorite smokes. It seemed like whatever Lacy wanted, he tried to move the world to get it for her.
Nikita turned to look at Lacy as she pulled on her fishing line. “Looks like you’ve finally caught something.” A long, deep sigh drifted back, but she continued to stare at the water and half-heartedly wrestle with the fish dangling on the bait. His mind started to wander back to when he had first met Lacy and her family. Doug and Amanda had moved with 6 year old Lacy to live by the Stones on Nikita’s sixth birthday. Lacy’s dad used to work at Bob Gravens before all the layoffs. Now he supports his family on his monthly Social Security check. Lacy’s stepmom Amanda was born with a spinal cord injury and had spent her whole life in a wheel chair. But she could still take care of her family and enjoyed life all she could. Doug and Amanda also told Lacy they didn’t like her hanging out with the druggies and cautioned her about getting into trouble. But Lacy told her dad and step mom that she was sixteen and could do anything she wanted. Her parents had a different idea and reminded her that as long as she was living under their roof, then she had to obey their orders. This made for a lot of tension and friction in the family, so Lacy spent a lot of time hanging out at the lake fishing with Nikita. This suited Nikita just fine.
There was also a guy named Little John who lived with Lacy’s family. He drove a Dodge Dakota that was always having flat tires and bad luck seemed to follow him around, but Little John was an awesome guy. Nikita didn’t know many guys who would willingly want to mess with him on the street because he was also tough and the look in his eyes said he would fight till death. A pretty girl named Amy was Little John’s girlfriend. She was a good girl most of the time, at least until someone ticked her off and then it was a different story. Amy had a good sense of humor and sometimes thought it was funny when her friends joked around, but there was that certain point when she stopped laughing. That was the point her friends tried to avoid. Amy had an awesome daughter named Jessica. She was seventeen like Nikita and a fun girl to hang out with when she got to know people. Nikita was also friends with Michael, who was an awesome guy to hang out with. He would give anyone the shirt off his back if they needed it. Those kinds of friends were hard to find and Nikita thought a lot of Lacy’s family and their friends.

Michael kept warning Nikita to just keep Lacy as a friend because he didn’t want to see his friend get hurt. The girlfriends in Nikita’s past hadn’t always treated him too well and Michael worried that if he started dating Lacy, then things might not go so well. Nikita’s girlfriends had lied and cheated on him and Michael kept reminding him that it was a dangerous game to play. Michael’s ex-girlfriend was pregnant and the relationship was rough, so he didn’t want Nikita to get into a bad deal. But no matter how many times Michael warned Nikita to play it safe with his emotions, Nikita just kept telling Michael how much he loved Lacy with all his heart and that he just had to hope that someday she would notice him and look at him as more than her best friend since Kindergarten. Michael always criticized Nikita for caring about Lacy, but Nikita knew he would love her till the day he died.
Nikita could hear Lacy mumbling under her breath and fiddling with her fishing line, but he kept his gaze on the water and let his thoughts continue to drift with the breeze. Lacy’s parents knew how he felt about their daughter and once Doug and Amanda had asked him if he thought he could support their daughter if things turned around in their relationship. Nikita smiled to himself as he remembered what he told Doug.
“I would lay my own life for that girl, so I would definitely take care of her and support her.”
Doug and Amanda had both told him that if he ever needed anything to just come to them for help. At least Lacy’s parents liked him and it felt good to know he could count on them.

Then there was Little John who tried to tell Lacy that Nikita was the guy for her. He told Lacy that Nikita cared about her the most. Nikita smiled as he remembered how Lacy had told Little John that she knew Nikita had been with her through thick and thin. Little John had said “See my point Lacy? Nikita actually cares about you from the bottom of his heart. Don’t let that kind of love slip away.” Then Amy had also told Lacy that she should date Nikita instead of all the druggies that didn’t respect her or treat her right. Lacy had asked Amy how she knew that Nikita would treat her right. Amy told her that Nikita had confided in her that he love Lacy and would do anything for her; all she had to do was ask.
But a frown wrinkled Nikita’s face when he remembered his conversation with Jessica. She had told Nikita that he could do a whole lot better than Lacy. That he needed someone who would love him back with all her heart and not just be there to take and not give. While he understood what Jessica meant, he had told her that “I want to be with Lacy no matter what and I’m not gonna give up on her.” Jessica replied that he was dumb for liking Lacy, but Nikita just told Jessica she had a right to her opinion.

A catfish tugged at Nikita’s pole and he momentarily forgot his daydream as he fed it plenty of line. He diligently worked to keep the fish eating enough of the bait to get caught on the hook. But the fish broke the line and he was left to enjoy Lacy being so near and soon was lost in his own thoughts. His friends and family had told him to talk to Lacy about his true feelings, so he finally got up the courage to tell her how he felt. He remembered how disappointed and angry he had been when she had touched his face and told him in that soft voice how much she cared about him but just not in that way. He had let her touch his face and hold his hand while she gave him words of comfort because he couldn’t think of a good reason to move away. He had listened to her try to cheer him up and had seen the tears in her eyes as she kept asking him if he understood. He remembered thinking that if she had tears of sadness for him, then maybe someday she would have tears of gladness for him. He was not ready to give up yet, no matter what Lacy or anyone else told him. His heart knew what was right and he would remain true to his heart.
Nikita looked up from the lake to see Lacy was walking by the lake side. Suddenly the bank caved in and Lacy’s scream echoed across the lake. Nikita threw down his fishing pole and ran to where Lacy had fallen in the water to save her from drowning. Nikita dove into the water and frantically searched for her and when he brought Lacy to the surface, she was gasping for air. After he pulled her to safety, Lacy turned around and stared into his eyes and suddenly she was lost in the love she saw staring at her from those brown eyes. They both started to lean forward into their first kiss.

Suddenly Lacy’s dad Doug called from their kitchen door, “Lacy, it’s time to come in and do your homework.”
Lacy called back, “Dad, I can do my homework on Sunday. Nikita and I are kind of busy right now.”
Dad said “OK, honey. Just don’t forget to do it Sunday cause you got school Monday.”
Lacy smiled at Nikita as she replied, “OK, dad. I’ll remember to get it done before Monday.”
Lacy smiled at Nikita, but they both knew the moment had passed. They held hands and while Nikita gathered up all their fishing gear and headed back to his house. Nikita smiled, “I’m sorry you fell into the lake, but then again, I’m really glad you fell into the lake.”
Lacy smiled and hugged him, “I’m really glad I fell into the lake, too.”

The following Saturday Lacy and Nikita went for a walk along on a trail in the woods back behind Lacy’s house. Nikita saw a rose that reminded him of Lacy, so he picked if from the bush alongside the trail and gave it to her.
“This rose is beautiful as you are, my dear.”
Lacy smiled, “Thank you, Nikita. You always make me feel so special.”
You’re welcome. I enjoy telling you how beautiful you are to me. ”
After their walk, Nikita and Lacy strolled back to her house and spent hours talking as they sat on her porch swing. Nikita finally went home at 5 o’clock in the morning after Doug and Amanda fell asleep. Sunday morning came along and Doug, Amanda, Lacy and Nikita all got together and went to church.
Pastor Terrill greeted them at the church door and said, “We are glad to have you guys back. You haven’t been here in a while and it’s good to see each of you.”
Doug and Amanda explained to Pastor Terrill that they had both been busy the past few weeks, but that they were glad to be back as well. Then Pastor Terrill closed the churches doors and started preaching about love.
Pastor Terrill asked, “Do you any of you ladies feel loved out there today?”
All the ladies replied, “Yes, we do Pastor Terrill.”
Pastor Terrill spoke again, “Good ladies, because you need to be loved in Jesus Christ. I also noticed that there are more people at church this Sunday than last Sunday. The more people who take time to be here, then the more opportunity God has to share his love.”
The entire congregation said, “Amen, brother!”
Pastor Terrill went on about his preaching and asked everyone to turn to 1st Corinthians 13:4-8 and began to read aloud,
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.”
Pastor Terrill looked out at the congregation, “Love is very patient. Now turn to the Song of Solomon 8:4-8” and continued reading aloud
“Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires. Who is this coming up from the desert leaning on her lover? Under the apple tree I roused you; there your mother conceived you, there she who was in labor gave you birth. Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away. If one were to give all the wealth of his house for love, it would be utterly scorned. We have a young sister, and her breasts are not yet grown. What shall we do for our sister for the day she is spoken for?”
Pastor Terrill again looked out at the congregation, “Love is love and you can’t stop the power of God’s love. Not only do we have the joy of God’s love, but we also have the joy of loving each other. ”
After the service, Lacy went up to Pastor Terrill and asked if she could speak with him in private. “Nikita tells me that he loves me from the bottom of his heart and the bible verses you read to us just now touched my soul. I have always loved him as a friend, but now I have stronger feelings for him. I have feelings of love for Nikita. He would do everything in his way to help me out and that means a lot to me. Don’t you think it’s important to tell someone if you love him in that way?”
Pastor Terrill smiled at Lacy, “Yes, it’s very important to make sure you tell the people you love how you feel. Just like God wants everyone to know about how much he loves each of us.”
After church Doug, Amanda, Lacy and Nikita went home, but everyone noticed that Lacy was quiet. Nikita wondered what was going on and why she wasn’t her usual talkative self.
“What’s wrong, Lacy? Why are you suddenly so quiet?”
Lacy smiled at Nikita and replied, “Nothing is wrong. I’m just thinking about what Pastor Terrill said this morning in church and what we talked about after the service.”
“What did the Pastor say to you?”
Lacy shrugged her shoulders, “Nothing really; don’t worry about it. I just have a lot to think about.”
Later on that evening Lacy and Nikita walked down by the lake and sat together by the shore line. Nikita leaned back and put his hands on the moist ground and then Lacy put her hand on top of his. They looked at each other and Nikita was shocked by the new expression that was in Lacy’s beautiful brown eyes. Then they finally kissed, but Lacy wasn’t ready to tell him about her new feelings because she liked to keep her feelings to herself. After the sun set, they both got up and started walking back to her house holding hands. They sat on the porch swing and watched the fireflies dancing in the yard. As they were swinging with each other, Lacy had a big smile on her face and she realized that she happy for the first time in a long time. As Doug and Amanda looked out the window, they saw her smile and couldn’t’ help but smile, too. Lacy and Nikita talked for hours and hours once again and lacy hugged and kissed him before he left. He finally went home at 2 o’clock in the morning because he had to get up at 12 that Monday to go to work.

After a late breakfast the next morning, Nikita headed out to work thinking of Lacy and how their friendship had changed so dramatically since he saved her from drowning at the lake. There was no train in sight as he approached the tracks, so he proceeded across, smiling at the memory of their last kiss. His smile changed to a frown as his car suddenly decided to stall right there in the middle of the train tracks. He heard a train about a mile away, but thought he had plenty of time to try and get the car started and still make it to work without being late. He repeatedly turned the key, but the starter only made a grinding noise. The train was coming toward him at a high speed and the last thing he heard with the horn blaring as it rushed around the corner toward him. His last thoughts were of Lacy and the kissed they shared.
Doug and Amanda were devastated when the Chief of Police Eugene Rhodes came to tell them about the accident. Eugene told them that Nikita had been hit by the train that morning while he was heading to work. The local police thought his car had stalled and he hadn’t been able to get out in time. The Chief offered his condolences and left them with the decision of how to tell Lacy the terrible news. They cried and held each other because they knew there would be no easy way to tell her. When she came home from school later that afternoon, she expected to see Nikita waiting there for her, but Nikita wasn’t there.
Lacy sat down on the porch swing and used her foot to start the swing in motion, “Where is Nikita?”
Amanda walked to the swing and sat down by Lacy and held her tightly. Lacy was beginning to get worried and her voice shook as she asked her mom what was wrong.
Doug kneeled in front of the swing and rested his hand on Lacy’s knee. “Hon, Nikita got killed by a train this morning heading to work.”
Lacy jerked away from him and cried, “Dad, you’re lying to me!”
“I’m sorry honey, but I am not lying to you at all sweetie.”
Tears streamed down Lacy’s face as she pushed out of the swing and ran over to Nikita’s house. She frantically knocked on the door, but no one answered. She ran to the garage, but the Camaro was gone and suddenly she felt sick to her stomach. She started to worry that maybe what her dad had told her was true, but she didn’t really want to believe it. She ran to the lake where she and Nikita had spent so much time together and wrapped her heart in all those precious memories. Through her tears, she saw her mom walking to her side of the lake and soon she felt her mother’s arms wrap around her in comfort.
“Honey are you alright?”
“It’s not real to me yet. I’m crying and my heart is broken, but it’s not real. Mom, what happened? Why did the train hit him?”
“Well honey, the Chief of Police Eugene Rhodes told us that the police think his car stalled right there in the middle of the train tracks. They think he heard the train, but probably thought he had plenty of time to get to safety. They think in the end he was having trouble getting the seat belt off because the conductor saw him struggling to get out of the car. The conductor kept laying on the horn and hoping that Nikita would get out in time, but he was killed instantly.”
Lacy started to sob and Amanda kept holding her tight and stroking her hair.
“It’s okay Sissy, everything is gonna be alright.”
Lacy cried harder and felt like she couldn’t even breathe as she tried to speak,
“It’s not ok, Mom and now it never will be ok again. Why did he have to die? He was always so good to me and would do anything for me. Why couldn’t it have been me? Nikita was too good. He was always waiting for me and taking care of me and now he’s dead and I can’t ever tell him how much I really loved him. It should have been me!”
“Honey, it’s not your fault. “
Lacy says “Yes, it is mom.”
“No, it’s not your fault honey and Nikita would tell you it isn’t’ your fault.”
“He might tell me it’s not my fault, but I feel like I’m to blame.”

After a while, Lacy stopped crying and they walked up the hill to go home. Lacy kept asking herself over and over why she had waited so long to tell Nikita how she felt. Why had it taken her so long to finally see the great guy who had been standing by her side since Kindergarten instead of always running to the guys who didn’t really care about what was inside her heart? At home she ran to her room and lay down on the bed and wrapped herself in all her grief. Her parents tried to get her to talk to them, but she couldn’t deal with their questions or their good words. Her heart was broken and she only wanted to be at the lake where she had spent so much time with Nikita. Her best friend; the love of her life. She cried herself to sleep and dreamed about going fishing with her best friend since Kindergarten.
The next morning her mom told her that the funeral would be in three days. Lacy didn’t even say a word to her parents as she waited for the day of the funeral. As she was getting ready for the funeral, she suddenly remembered that Nikita had left his chew can by the lake. She ran to the little dock and picked up the can and hid it in her pocket before climbing into the car. She felt like her heart would break all over again when she walked up to the casket. She touched Nikita’s face and cried when she felt the coldness steal the warmth from her fingers. She pulled his can of chew out of her pocket and tucked it beside him in the casket. Her fingers still felt cold as she walked to the pew and sat down in front of the casket. Pastor Terrill walked to the front and spoke to the congregation.
“Nikita was a great son, friend and neighbor. He loved his family very much and will be missed by all those who loved him. In his spare time liked to go hunting and fishing and he would give the shirt off his back to any one if they ever needed it. I have been privileged to get to know Nikita’s family pretty well and I know that his family loved him and will miss him.”
Lacy cried silently as the pallbearers carried the casket to the hearse and drove off toward Liberty Cemetery. Lacy’s family followed the hearse and watched as they carried the casket to the grave site. They watched silently as Nikita was lowered into the ground. After Pastor Terrill spoke a few words, Lacy and her parents left the grave site and drove home. Her dad glanced in the rear view mirror and motioned for Amanda to look at Lacy. They were both surprised to notice the smile beaming from her face.
“Lacy, honey. Why do you have such a big smile on your face. Are you OK?”
Lacy turned to her parents, “Mom, dad. Don’t you see Nikita?”
Her parents shared a worried frown “No, honey we don’t. Are you alright? Do you think you see Nikita?”
“Yes, I see him. I really see him. Nikita’s right here in this car with me. He’s right by my side telling me that he loves me more than anything and that he loves you guys too.”
Doug and Amanda didn’t know what to say, but they were relieved that Lacy was smiling again, even if they didn’t understand what was happening.
As they pull into their driveway, Lacy breathlessly says “Guess what? Guess what?”
Both her mom and dad reply together “What, honey?”
“Nikita just told me that he is waiting for me on the other side in heaven. He says heaven is so great and he has been at heaven’s golden gates. He said you can’t even imagine what is heaven is like and that you can do a lot of thing up there than you can do on earth. He says he is waiting for me and that he will wait for you both, too.”
Two months later Doug and Amanda died in a car accident and together with Nikita they waited. Lacy was weighed down with all the stress and she finally just let go of life. She wasn’t afraid to die, so she just let go and searched for Nikita. She knew she was home when she was reunited with Nikita and her family. At her funeral Pastor Terrill told the congregation that God works in mysterious ways. Sometimes He works in your favor and sometimes it seems like He doesn’t work in your favor. But where there is love, there is favor.