Feather Gold | Teen Ink

Feather Gold

November 14, 2012
By Letoya, Nanwalek, Alaska
More by this author
Letoya, Nanwalek, Alaska
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: I was inspired to write this, after a relationship I'd been through. Well past relationships, none of it really involves me but it just expands my imagination on the whole fact that the main character could be me, or some one completely different from me! I hope you all love this book, I can say I do not only because I wrote it but because it just helps see the different parts of it I guess?

The author's comments:
Will Letoya and Dwaynes friendship last?

There was a light breeze in Miami, Florida, the sun was slowly rising and I was able to see the Moon Rise Palace. That’s where the school dance is going to be this year! We wanted a Prom, but we didn’t want anything formal, so we just stuck with a school dance, which is a hundred times better! By the way, our Prom is called the Moon Dance, which is so not a coincidence because of the place that it’s at. So anyways, I’m standing there enjoying the view I see, when all of a sudden…..
“Letoya, we have to go before we get stuck in traffic again, and the malls are all packed,” my best friend Star Sunburst Fleshman said to me. Behind her was Rose Scarlet Reyes, my other best friend, heading to the door ready to go pick out our dance outfits! So, my name is Letoya Rebellette Romanoff-Yeaton!
“Totally ruined the moment,” I say. “Oh my gosh, I was enjoying this view bro! Just kidding, you’re right though. Last time it took us all day just to get to the mall and back.”
“Uhm, your welcome!” Star replied.
“I’m driving us there, so that won’t take that long, because I know all the fast ways to get there!” Rose said, trying to hurry us so we get our outfits in time!
The drive over to the mall was pretty fast, there was hardly any traffic, and we played super amazing music (fist pumping music, or like music to dance to)! After a while, my phone rings, and I ask Rose to turn the music down, so I can talk to Tiffany Constance Cross.
“Hey Tiffany,” I say as I answer my phone. “Are you, Whitney (Ann Kein) and Scarlet (Mae Drew) going to meet us at the mall still?” I ask Tiffany. “Oh, is Kailey (Lana Lange) there with you too?” I wasn’t really sure if she was going still because the day before she was saying that she felt kind of sick.
“Yeah, we’re already here.” Tiffany replies on the phone. “You guys are slow, you know I thought the whole plan was to make it here early or as soon as the mall opens.”
“Well, we tried but it didn’t really work out. Because we were all getting ready at the same time so it was all of us running around at the hotel trying to get ready. I mean, just think how crazy that was!” I tell her. You could hear Whitney, Scarlet and Kailey in the background, and they really sounded like they were tired of waiting.
“So, we’re just going to get started on our shopping, and we’ll see you whenever you get here maybe!” Tiffany said.




On our way to the mall, Star randomly shouts…. “Oh yeah I forgot to tell you. Uhm, the guys are going to meet up with us there too! They said they want to check out what we’re wearing to the dance, so they know it’s appropriate!” She made a face as she said appropriate, and rolled her eyes. Its not that we don’t dress appropriately, because trust me we dress appropriate to school and all that, but dances we just find what we want to wear. And to everyone else, well they say it’s totally not appropriate but it is, in a way! Well anyways, getting back to reality, we end up walking up with the guys and making them shop with us. Mark, Zayne and Dwayne kept saying how they felt really weird in the girls section of the mall! Zayne is going out with Rose, Mark is with Star and Dwayne is just going with me to the dance (him and I are friends, because I’m not ready for everything to get awkward yet, which kind of gets at him, like all the time)! Dwayne has crazy hot blue eyes, his hair up in like a little Mohawk, ripped muscles and is about 3-5 inches taller than me. Oh yeah, I’m pretty short for my age by the way. We ended up bumping into Bayside Stevens, whose a friend of all of ours, he also has blue eyes with like a little black streak line things in them (which is so cool), and his hair is pretty cool. He really needs a girlfriend by the way, its not that I like him, but he really does, it’s so crazy that he doesn’t. I mean, this one time, I was walking around with him and a random lady was like, “Oh my gosh, you two are the cutest couple.” We looked at each other and just went along with it. So Bayside just said “Thank you, we’ve been together for two whole years now.” After she walked away we laughed, and we both agreed not to tell Dwayne about it because we weren’t sure what his reaction would be, since he likes me and all that. But me and Bayside, we’re just friends, everyone that knows us should know by now, we’ve been friends since kindergarten! And nothing could change that, a friendship like that practically lasts forever!

All us girls, picked out jean short shorts, tube top, tank top or like whatever shirt we wanted to wear. I picked out a bright tank top and glow in the dark makeup because I thought it would look really cool! Well, we ended up eating at the mall, lost track of time, rushed back to the hotel to change and do our makeup really fast.
“Letoya, turn the lights off really quick,” Rose said as we finished doing our glow in the dark makeup.
“Oh My Gosh, we are gunna kill it on the dance floor,” Star said.
“Yeah, we look freaking amazing!” I said to both of them! Then we heard a knock on the door. “Oh I think that’s Tiffany and them!” So I ran to open the door, the lights were still off, and when they came in they thought our makeup was amazing too. So we had to wait like 10 minutes, so that they could use some of our glow in the dark makeup! I don’t know I guess glow in the dark is just our thing, we love it, it’s our “Moon Dance” theme and everyone likes it. Well, almost everyone, there’s this chick at our school who hates almost everyone, but the girls that worship her. Her name is Raven Saunders, we don’t like her and she doesn’t like us, it’s just been like that forever. She is so annoying! But anyways, Dwayne, Mark, and Zayne picked us three up. Tiffany and the other girls went with Kailey in her Limo (her parents bought it for her with her own driver), with their boyfriends! I wonder where Bayside was, I really thought he was going to go with us, hmm. He must’ve got spooked or something, I don’t know for some reason dances just make him nervous, or at least that’s what he told me. I guess I’ll text him later and tell him how fun it was! But before we left I texted him, “Jeez you dumb butt, why aren’t u going to the dance?” And he texted back, “My moms keeping me home, just tell me all about it later!”
When we got there, the first thing you could here was the music, which sounded super amazing, loud and everyone sounded like they were having fun in there! It was so cool when we walked in too! Everyone was wearing something different, they all looked so cool, you could hear everyone complimenting each other on their designs and outfits. Then I saw… In the middle of the dance floor.
“Hey, who’s that guy?” Rose asked, pointing in the direction I was looking at. “His like, mask reminds me of this Feather Gold theme we thought of before we switched to this theme. He’s so rockin that look!” She then looked at me, and noticed my expression, her and Star just know me well enough to know exactly what I’m thinking, and how my mood is. So she whispered to me, “Are you okay, you look confused?”
“Yeah, I think I know who that is though.” I whispered back to her. “I think it might be Tyler (Styles). It just looks like something he would wear you know.”
“Well he’s looking your way, I’ll distract Dwayne so you can go dance and talk to him.” Rose said to me, I really should thank her later, and Star because she noticed what I was up to and they both did really good at distracting Dwayne, I snuck away pretty easily. The guy was wearing this cool mask, like one you’d wear to a masquerade, I think. It really did look like our “Feather Gold” theme, and it was hard to tell who it was. Right when I did, a slow song played, I mean seriously, I’m about to talk to my ex, and this just has to play! First Dance by Justin Beiber just has to play! Well isn’t this just great!
“Do you want to dance, wi-with me?” He asks, he stutters as he says it and in his voice it sounds so cute. But it doesn’t sound like Tyler’s voice, which really has me, like crazy confused!
“Yeah, who are you though?” I reply and ask that question as he grabs my hand to dance with him.
“That you’ll never know,” is his answer. I just look up at him smiling, he pulls me in closer and it feels like we’ve had this bond, but I don’t know who he is yet. “Can you figure it out yet?” He asks, as he raises one eyebrow. I just nod my head, no because I honestly don’t know who he is. “I really liked that Feather Gold theme, it’s a bummer that I’m the only one dressed like this, but then again I stand out!” He says to me, and still I can’t recognize his voice.
“That’s the good thing about the way your dressed, even in that mask.” I tell him. “The bad thing is that I still don’t know who you are.” He just smiled, and the song ended, for some reason I just wished the song would’ve lasted a little longer. But you don’t always get what you want.
“I think this dance is over,” he says just as a faster beat comes screaming out of the speakers. Give me everything by PitBull and Ne-yo, is what plays. We slowly move away from each other, our hands wishing they could still be touched, I end up just moving back to Rose, Star and the rest of the group.
“Who were you dancing with,” Dwayne asks, and as he does he looks kind of sad.
“I’m not sure yet,” I tell him, trying to make him feel a little better. “We should go dance though bro!” I tell him, smiling and trying to change how he’s feeling. He smiles back, and I know my plan has worked, so our whole group rushes out on the dance floor and we just start dancing crazy! I happened to look over at Star and Rose, and they both had the same look on their face.
“So, who was that?” They both asked me, and kind of laughed because they noticed that they both said it at the same time.
“I’m going to the bathroom with Star and Rose, I’ll get you a rockstar if they have any,” I tell Dwayne in his ear. He just nods his head, him and the rest of the guys just keep fist pumping, dancing and what not! I tell them everything about the guy I danced with.
“We should just nick name him feather gold, since we don’t even know who he is,” Star says, teasing me in the way she teases people when they like a guy, or whatever.
“We don’t know who he is, yet! Let’s just put it that way Star,” Rose says smiling and nodding her head at Star and I.
“We’ll find out by tomorrow, or tonight hopefully,” I tell them both, and that’s when, Tiffany, Scarlet, Kailey and Whitney walk in!
“Hey, are guys coming back to the dance any time soon?” Whitney asks.
“Yeah, cuz I don’t think it’s going to last forever bro.” Kailey says, and laughs a little, I think it’s because she said Bro, she barely ever says that, and when she does she just giggles a little. She stops giggling when she notices who walks in. Stupid Raven Saunders, but we all smile and say hi to her as she walks in and we walk out.
“Hi, I like the theme it turned out pretty cool,” Raven says to us, which is a total shock, because she never really says anything nice to us.
“That was kind of weird?” Whitney said, she had a kind of puzzled look on her face.
“Well, lets get back to dancing, I mean isn’t that what we came here for,” Kailey said, trying to change the subject, you could tell she was hyper, because as soon as we got out there she started dancing.
“Oh my gosh, I’ll meet you guys out there, I have to go do my makeup really quick,” Tiffany said, realizing her makeup had been smudged a little.
“I’ll follow you, mines coming off too a little,” Scarlet says to Tiffany, and they both hurry into the bathroom. The rest of us go find the guys to get back to dancing, but I stop remembering that I told Dwayne I was going to get him rockstar.
“I’ll see you guys in there, I’m gunna grab a couple energy drinks first.” I tell them.
“Oh I’ll follow you,” Star says, and Rose walks along with us. I can tell this conversation will end up with them teasing me about “Feather Gold,” again.
“Yeah, we might find out who Feather Gold is,” Rose says, and her and Star laugh a little. I just hit them on the arm.
“Would you two just knock it off,” I tell them. “Its not like we don’t know who he is.” I tell them sarcastically. “We’ll find out, eventually.”
“Yeah, like hmm. Maybe now,” Rose says as she points towards the concessions stand. I look over and notice that he’s standing over there.
“I wonder who he is, he has got to be out of his mind, I mean he’s the only one who dressed like that. It takes like courage or something to do that alone,” Star says and gets a little quiet once we get to the concession stand.
“What can I get you,” the lady behind the counter asks me. The feather gold guy just smiles as he walks away, I smile back at him, still not knowing who he is, or why he danced with me.
“Oh, two rockstars, three redbulls and a monster,” I tell her. She presses the buttons, and the total comes up to 26 dollars, so I pull the exact amount out of my wallet. She hands them to me and I say, “Thank you.”
“You’re welcome,” she says.
We walk back into the dance, and open a couple energy drinks, but I save one rockstar for Dwayne.
“Are we gunna drink that?” Rose asks, pointing at the last rockstar.
“Oh no, uh this is for Dwayne I told him I’d get him one,” I told her. Her and Star looked at each other kind of smiling, I knew this would happen.
“So why aren’t you two together?” Star asked.
“We’re better off as friends, nothing can be awkward yet. Even in high school, I mean that’s like the worst time for things to just get awkward like that.” I tell them.

On Monday morning, everyone was talking about how fun the dance was and about the guy in the mask. They talked about how hot he was, and how “Letoya danced with him, maybe she knows who he is.” Which kind of pissed Dwayne off, considering he was my date to the Moon Dance! So I just told them I didn’t know, because I honestly hadn’t figured it out throughout the weekend.
“Letoya,” I heard a voice behind me call. I looked back to see…
“Oh, hey Bayside,” I said, I was so happy to see him, he was the only one who hadn’t known anything about the dance, which reminds me I hadn’t even told him anything about it.
“You never messaged me, on how the dance went,” Bayside said, he was smiling but trying to hide his smile, which is what he always does when he’s hiding something.
“What are you hiding Bayside? Do you know something I don’t?” I asked him, he smiled and said…
“Yeah, but I can’t tell you yet Bro!” He laughed a little as he said this, and raised his right eye brow.
“You dumb butt,” I said to Bayside, shoved him, he didn’t care because he knew I was only teasing, and he just smiled.

Later that day, when I walked into the bathroom to fix my makeup, I happened to bump into Raven Saunders who was wiping her face with a damp paper towel. As she uncovered it, you could see a dark purple bruise under her right eye. I froze, but knew it was from her dumb boyfriend who beats on her every time he’s drunk. She was told like several times by, I think all of us girls in high school now to dump him because he’s just a stupid jerk. But she always says how she loves him and that he’s the one. It shocked me to what I was about to say, to my enemy…
“Uh, Raven do you want to get lunch with me?” I asked her, she ran over and hugged me.
“Yeah,” Raven replied, almost in tears, and I hugged her back. Rose, Kailey and Star happened to walk into the bathroom just as I let go of Raven. They had a shocked look on their face, but I gave them a look that said “I’ll tell you about it later.”
“So, do we have any plans for tonight?” Star asked, trying to break the awkward silence in the bathroom.
“Maybe we could go bowling, Allen said that they were going to do neon bowling just for the heck of it.” I said. “Do you want to go bowling with us, or dancing I mean, since that’s what we’ll probably end up doing?” I asked Raven.
“Yeah, sounds fun.” Raven relied with a slight smile on her face.

Still I Rise by Nicki Minaj plays on my phone, so I know I have a text message. I pull my phone out of my pocket, and it’s from Star. “I know who feather gold is! ” is what the message says. “Who is it then?” I reply to her. “You’ll see,” is all I get back from her. This is so dumb, why do guys always make you figure out who they are? And why won’t he tell me who he is already? It sucks not knowing, because then I think about it all day and I just can’t get it out of my head now. The song plays again, this time its not from Star.
“I’ll see you at the mall for bowling, and feather gold will be there.” That’s what I got from Dwayne, which really shocked me.
“So who all knows who he is?” I reply back on my phone.
“Just me and Star. ;)” Dwayne messages back to me. So now all I can do is get ready, go to the mall to meet everyone at the bowling place, and find out who feather gold is. I’m really nervous, because what if the guy doesn’t even like me, then what do I do?

It took me 30 minutes to get ready, that’s how nervous I was, well and kind of happy, because I’d get to finally find out who feather gold is! Anyways, when I made it to the mall, everyone was there, the place was almost like packed. But I made it just in time!
“So, you ready to meet your feather gold guy!” Dwayne asked, he seemed kind of, hmm I don’t really know I couldn’t tell what his mood was really.
“Kind of yeah, how come,” I asked him.
“I don’t know you just seem kind of nervous, you shouldn’t be though he’s actually a cool and nice guy bro.” Dwayne said with a smile.
“Why can’t you just tell me who he is then?” I asked him.
“He’ll tell you,” he said pointing behind me, I looked back and saw Bayside. Dwayne just smiled, and walked towards the rest of the group.
“So who is it?” I asked Bayside.
“Uhm, I don’t know. I heard he’s a cool guy though.” Bayside said smiling at me. “So what’d you think of him.”
“It just felt like I’ve known him, like my whole life,” I told him. “I just can’t figure out who he is.” We looked at each other for a while, I ended up looking into his eyes, and for a second I swear I noticed those eyes. It couldn’t have been though. “So it’s you?”
“Took you long enough to figure that out bro.” Bayside said, both smiling and laughing.
“How come you didn’t just go with us?” I asked him.
“I just felt like going alone, it was sort of like part of my plan.” Bayside said.
“So why’d you dance with me. You could’ve danced with any girl there, but you chose to only dance with me.” I said.
“Why you blushing so bad,” Bayside asked me. Which made me blush more, knowing that he noticed that I was blushing. “Just cuz it seemed right.”
“Don’t you wanna join the rest of the group,” I asked him, he nodded so I started walking towards the group, but I felt his hand grab mine.
“Wait,” Bayside said looking straight at me. “I was wondering if,” then he paused.
“If what,” I asked looking back at him.
“If you wanted to go out with me,” he said that part kind of quiet. Our hands were still held together.
“Yeah, Feather Gold,” I said to him, and we both just laughed a little. We walked to the group, still holding hands, and they all just looked at us. They knew this was going to happen, even Dwayne, you could tell just by the look on their faces.

It was crazy how we went from being friends, to well you know dating, just instantly. I could still just barely believe it, my friend’s weren’t as shocked about it as much as I was, but I shouldn’t be, right? Well, Dwayne had a kind of sad look on his face, which made me kind of think that he didn’t like where this was going. But, its all about me now, I shouldn’t care what everyone else thinks.


Later that day, Dwayne walked right up to me sort of smiling.
"So, you got any plans for later?" Dwayne asked me.
"No not really," I replied back. "Bayside hasn't mentioned anything, but tomorrow we're going to watch a movie, why?"
"Oh, well do you want to go play games at the arcade for old times sake?" Dwayne asked me.
"Yeah sure!" I said smiling, then laughed a little and shoved him.
"You ain't beating me on the "Just Dance" game you know that right?" Dwayne said teasing back.
"We'll see." I tell him, and we both walk to our next class.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.