This Life. | Teen Ink

This Life.

By Shacey BRONZE, watervliet, New York
Shacey BRONZE, Watervliet, New York

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"- Eleanor Roosevelt

”Dare to enter” said the door of the next house. Morgyn was only 4 at the time. She ran away because she supposedly heard a scary monster voice. Everyone else just stayed and screamed. My name is Hallie, like Kali, but with a few extra letters. I am 14 years old. I live in California. My mom makes me take Morgyn with me everywhere. Tonight is Halloween. It is also my birthday. I guess that makes me evil. When we left that house we decided to go home because was 9:00pm and we have been out since 2:30pm. The next day came and it was going to be a good day. I went downstairs and my dad was there.
“Daddy why are you here?”
“Because Hallie,” We sat down.
“Because I wanted to spend time with my girls before I had to go back into the army. Who knows I could go in and never come back out.” I looked over and saw my mom and Morgyn crying and hugging in the doorway. My dad and I did the same. Later that day my dad took us out for some ice cream. As he paid for it I asked him a question I wish I never had.
“Daddy, why did you go into the army in the first place”
“ Hallie, you are 14 years old you do not need to know everything about me and your mother!” I stood there in shock. I could tell I had said something that I knew was wrong. Morgyn looked at me like I was the devil. Like I had just killed a cute innocent little animal and she was ready to attack my face. When we were done eating our ice cream we got in the car and drove home. The whole car ride home was silent. The most silent car ride I had ever been part of, and it was all because of me. Although the car ride was so silent it could have been a good thing. It gave me time to think. I thought about me not seeing my dad again and I realized how much it would hurt. Not only me but my younger sister and my mother. The two most important people in my life. I ran into the house, not crying yet. I ran upstairs, jumped into my bed and threw my blanket over my head. The tears strolled down my hot cheeks. My hot embarrassed cheeks. I realized that my dad had never yelled at me in public and I realized that it hurt me, a lot. I remembered I had to be strong for Morgyn. Morgyn came over to me and I knew that she was hurting deep down inside too. Morgyn looked up at me with her baby blue eyes and asked me the cutest but most serious question I had ever heard her say.
“ Hallie, Is it okay to cry?” she said with tears swelling up in her eyes Morgyn what do you mean is it okay to cry? I asked seriously.
“ Well, I want to be strong for mommy because I know she is going to miss daddy too and I just don’t want to make her sad too.”
I held her close and looked out the window. I saw that it was raining. The calming beat of the rain hitting against my window could put me to sleep. I lifted Morgyn up and layed her in my bed. I rubbed her head and put her to sleep. I did the same. When she finally fell asleep I closed my eyes and fell asleep instantly. I woke up in this strange place. Where was I? I was in a field with a bunch of headstones everywhere. Was I visiting a family member? I thought hard for a minute. I looked over to see my mom standing over a headstone with a baby in a carriage. Could it be my dad? I started to run and jump over the headstones but I realized I was not getting anywhere. My mom started to walk away. I started to scream but she could not hear me. When I finally got there and looked down I realized, it was me. She was crying because of me. I was 6 feet under the ground, a rotting corpse. On the headstone it said:

Hallie Melody Mead

Born into the world October 31st 1993

Entered into rest on April 16th 2007.

A loving big sister and a loved daughter.
I tried to cry but I couldn’t. My eyes would not tear up. I woke up and felt my cheeks. They were wet. I didn’t understand how because I couldn’t cry in my dream.Morgyn came into the room and said,
“Hallie are you okay?” she said worriedly.
“Yes Morgyn I am fine, now go away!” I snapped back at her.
“But Hallie”
“But Hallie nothing, GO AWAY!”
“I’m sorry Hallie.” Her lip quivered a little then she started to cry and ran away. I felt terrible. I felt like the meanest big sister in the whole world. Like there was a big sign over my head saying. “ Mean big sister, stay away.”
My mom came in the room.
“Hallie? Why are you being so mean to your little sister?”
I felt my throat tighten up a little. I was scared to admit the truth.
“Mom, I had a dream that you were at a cemetery.”
“ What? Why was I at the cemetery?”
“ Mom, it was me, I was dead.”
At that moment I realized that the date that said I died on my headstone was the day Morgyn was born. Then I realized that I could have died when she was born. That little girl took a piece of me.

That very next morning I went to school. It was the first day. By the time I got to school I was not having such a good day. I was late to first period, the car broke down so I had to walk 2 miles, and I fell down the stairs at home. So I decided to wait in the bathroom until second period. When the second period bell rang the bathroom was flooded with girls trying to make themselves look good for their boyfriends or the boys that they liked. I was gone. If I stayed in that bathroom I would have been invisible. When I am in school I feel like I am out of place. My ex- best friend Rayne walked into the bathroom while I was walking out, she gave me a dirty look. I had a vision. I was walking out of the bathroom and Rayne gave me a dirty look. I grabbed her by the hair and slammed her on the floor near the water fountain. She started bleeding. I snapped out of it because I did not want to see anymore. I walked to second period. On the way there, there was a fight. It was between 2 girls. What a coincidence. While they were fighting all I could think about was the fight being between me and Rayne. It bothered me because me and Rayne used to be best friends all through grade school. Now ever since her and her boyfriend broke up she is nothing but a b****. She gives me dirty looks like I am the one that broke them up. Finally, I built up enough ambition to go to her and see if something was wrong.
“What do you want Hallie?”
“I just wanted to see what was wrong. I also wanted to ask you why you kept giving me dirty looks.”
“Really Hallie? Why would I give you dirty looks? Hmm, let’s see, first you did not talk to me all summer-“
“I”
“Stop, I am not done talking!”
I growled in my head thinking why don’t you just hit her? Then her talking turned into blah blah blah blah blah. I walked away. When I got home that night my dinner was already on the table. My dad was in the living room watching sponge bob with Morgyn and my mom was doing the laundry. I got home late that night because Rayne reported me to the principal and I had a 5:00 detention. Rayne told him that I threatened to hit her so now on top of that detention I have in-school-suspension tomorrow. I went up to my room. Morgyn followed me. I played my guitar for a little while until I got tired. Then I went to bed. Then next morning I woke up and was being stared in the face by my little sister.
“Hallie, Mommy and Daddy left for a little while and I am kinda scared. Can I lay down with you, in your bed?” she asked.
“Sure Morgyn, Climb in.” I said as I fell back asleep on her.
The only reason I let her lay down with me is because I was so mean to her yesterday and this was the only way I could make it up to her. While I was sleeping I felt a warm cheek touch mine. I knew deep down in my heart that my little sister was safe and that she loved me. I knew that deep down in her heart that she wanted to stay with me forever and that she would never leave me. When it got a little later I got out of bed. I didn’t wake up Morgyn because she needed as much sleep as she could get. I didn’t wake her up also because she didn’t get much sleep the night before. Morgyn was up all night crying because she was going to miss my dad. I felt bad for her but I didn’t want to say anything, my mom had it all under control. I went downstairs and got something to drink. My throat felt all groggy and dry from sleeping with my mouth open. I got some leftover meatloaf and sat down at the table. I thought about some things and I thought about my family. I thought about how mean I have been to them and I wanted to change that. I missed the way everything used to be and I wish it could go back. If I could turn back time I would change the way that I was to Morgyn, I would change the way that I lived my life. I would change me as a human being. After I was done thinking about everything, I went to lie on the couch. I fell asleep to iCarly and that was it. I was sleeping for the rest of my life. That is how I felt.
When I woke up I was back in my bed. My bed was different. It had two sides instead of one. It had different blankets on it. They were not mine. It was really weird. When I went downstairs my couch was not there. It was a new couch. Instead of my old blue one, it was a nice new green one. My old dial television was not there. Now it was a plasma screen. There was one more thing that was different. A bassinet in the corner. Did my mom have a baby? Did I have a baby? I ran out into the kitchen while my cookie monster slippers flipped and flopped, up and down. I looked at the date on the calendar. The date was June 23rd, 2020. I was now 27. I sat down at the table in shock. It was all just a dream. All a flashback, my life was different now and it was time to grow up. At that moment I heard the door open. Someone went upstairs.
“Hallie, are you awake?” I heard faintly.
“Who is here?”, I yelled back.

“It’s me, your husband.”
“Oh, I am downstairs.” I yelled with a cracked voice.
My boyfriend came downstairs, ran to the kitchen and kissed me. I was in shock. My body started to feel all tingly. It was a sensation I feel like I had never felt before. I kissed him back. The baby in the bassinet started crying. I ran out to the living room and picked the baby up. It was my baby, my creation, and it made me feel so amazing to hold that baby for the first time. I found out that it was a boy. We named him Zachary Evan Moyenne. He had the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever seen on a baby. He got them from his daddy. We got his name from his dad because his dad’s name was Evan Zachary Moyenne. When we finally got him quiet, we gave him his first bath. I was having really bad pains in my stomach. I told Evan that I wanted to go back to the hospital to see if everything was okay after I had Zachary. When we got to the hospital it turned out that everything was fine. Except that I found out I was going to have another baby. I was having a girl. Zachary’s twin. Evan did not know about this miracle. The doctors did not know either. We were going to name her after me, since Evan already got Zachary. But things didn’t workout well because we figured it would be weird to have both of your kids named after both parents. So, we named her Miracle Rose Moyenne loved her the second I saw her. I fell in love with my two new born babies. I loved the scent of the new baby smell that filled the room. Miracle looked up at me and I smiled. That was all I could do. Evan came in the room. Evan had no idea that I was having another baby.
“Why are you holding someone else’s baby?” he asked worriedly.
“Babe, say hello to your new baby girl.”, I said with the biggest smile on my face.
“Since when did we have another baby?”, he said jokingly.
“It turns out that the pains in my stomach were because of this little miracle.”
The doctors say that it is very rare for a twin to stay in the womb for three days after one twin was already born. So that is where she got her name. Miracle looked just like me. She had my thin brown hair and my big hazel green eyes. Miracle had my big cheeks and she had her daddy’s nose, ears, and lips. Miracle had the softest lips that I had ever felt. The doctor took Miracle back to the nursery so she could sleep. I realized I had to stay in the hospital for three more long, painful, dreadful days. Although, it was all worth it. I had my babies, I had my husband, and I had my family. That is all I wanted. That is all I needed. That is all I could ever ask for. I was happy. When I got home I decided to give the twins a bath together. They were both bright eyed. I loved the fact that I could call them mine. I loved the fact that I knew they were mine and nobody could take them away from me. I knew that at the end of the day, they would be sleeping under my roof, in my care.
They were a part of me. That is what was most important. When I was done I took them upstairs and got them dressed. I knew my husband would want to help me so I let him dress my baby boy. Zachary looked curiously around the room the whole time. Miracle did the same. I loved that they were such happy babies. Evan helped me so much with the kids and I loved that about him. When I am with Evan I feel like my world is completely different. I feel like god made us for each other. I feel like god gave him my other heart and he came and found me.
“Hallie?”
“Yeah?”
“I need your help”
“Okay. I’ll be right there!”
When I got upstairs Evan was holding both babies in his arms and he was trying to calm them both at the same time. I could do nothing but laugh.
“Which one do you want me to take?”
“Take Miracle.”
“Okay.”
I took the one out of his left arm. As I was rocking the baby I realized that it wasn’t Miracle, It was Zachary. This was going to be the first and last time I was going to get these babies confused. I do not know how I could possibly get my own babies confused because they were mine. I wondered if any other new mothers of twins got their babies confused.
“I can’t believe that you got your own children confused.”
“I know that, I promise it won’t happen again. The most important thing that matters is that at least we have them.”
“That is so true. At least we have them.”
“I love you Evan Zachary Moyenne.”
“I love you too Hallie Melody Mead-Moyenne.”
The next day came and Evan, Zachary, Miracle, and I had to go to the babies first doctors appointment. The babies had to get their first booster shot today. I was worried that they were going to cry, I did not like when they cried. I know it is normal but I just didn’t like it. When we finally got to the doctors it took us like 5 minutes to get into the room.
“Zachary and Miracle. Your turn!” the doctor said.
“We are ready for you!” I said nervously.
When we got into the room the doctor talked top us about first time parenting and how hard it was. I told the doctor that I was completely ready for it and I could not wait for the challenge, as I was always ready for one.
“Okay, time for the booster shots!”
“Okay.”
I held Miracle while she got hers done. Evan held Zachary while he got his done. They both screamed bloody murder. It hurt me deep inside. I hated it. I hate when my babies are upset and crying.That day after we finally calmed them down. We decided to take them to my parents house to see Morgyn and my mom and dad. I was so happy they were finally going to see their grand-children. When we got there Morgyn was already out to meet us at the car.
“Morgyn, I have to get in the house first.”
“I know but I am so excited to see them!”
“I understand that but Mom and Dad have to see them first.”
“Okay. Can I hold them after mommy and daddy see them?”
“Yes Morgyn, Calm down.”
When we got inside Morgyn followed me to the backyard. I was so aggravated. I hated that Morgyn only wanted to see the babies, that shed didn’t want to see me. That only bothered me a little though.

What bothered me the most was that my parents did not call me to make sure I was okay. They did not call me while I was in the hospital, but I am nice enough to let them see my babies.
“Hey Mom. Hey Dad.”
“Hey Sweetie”, said my mom.
“Hey Hallie”, said my dad.
“What have you guys been up to?”
“Nothing really, Busy with these babies.”
“How has Morgyn been with no one in the house to keep her busy?”
“She has been good. She has had a couple of friends over.”
“How is she doing in school?”
“Good she is the top in her class like you used to be.”
I went inside to see Morgyn and Evan with the twins. They were on the ground laying on a blanket. I loved my babies.
“Hallie! Can I hold Miracle?”
“Sure. Sit on the couch though.”
“Okay!”
I put Miracle in her arms and she smiled a lot. I love to see her happy. I loved to see my little sister holding my creation, my baby. When she was done holding Miracle she wanted to hold Zachary. So I let her. When I gave him to her she smiled even bigger. That made me feel so happy. If there was one thing in this world that made me happy it was for my little sister to be happy. I could not believe how big she got. Last time I saw her in my dream, she was only half of the size she is now. When it was time to leave, Morgyn got upset. Morgyn came up to me and asked if the babies could spend the night. I got aggravated because she knew the answer to that question. Obviously I was going to say no. I just had the babies and I was not ready to let them stay the night. I was a new mother. When we got home I layed on the bed and I fell asleep. I woke up to Morgyn and my mom asking me if I was okay. I ran downstairs and my babies weren’t there. My boyfriend wasn’t there. Everything was back to the way it was. Morgyn was 4 again and I was 14 again. This life was the life I was trying to get away from. I actually thought for a minute that I was lucky enough to get away from it. I did not want to live that life over again. Then I went back upstairs to see if it was just a dream. I layed back down and I fell asleep. I woke up to my boyfriend laying the babies on my stomach. I was happy again. I actually had the life I wanted. I knew this life was not a dream.
“You fell asleep pretty quickly.”
“I know. I’m sorry. Please don’t be mad at me.”
“Why would I be mad at you?”
“I don’t know. Why would you?”
He leaned in to kiss me. Obviously I was going to kiss him back. I loved this man. I loved his laugh, his smile, his soft brown hair, the way he kissed me goodnight, I loved everything about him. I would do anything to keep him mine. If there was anything I could do to have met him earlier, I would do it. I wish I had met him when I was younger. I was surprised that my whole life story was just a dream. I did not remember any of it. I went to Evan that night and asked him a question.
“Evan, why can’t I remember my past life?”
“Oh, sweetie. I think I hear the baby crying.”
“No, let her cry. I need to know this.”
“Well, a few months ago you were in a car accident. You were pregnant with the twins. You hit your head really hard and you were in a coma for a few weeks. I was surprised the babies lived. I wanted to name them something that had to do with a miracle. But I did not want to have to tell you this now. I am so sorry I did not tell you sooner. I love you.”
“Really? I was in a car accident?”
“Yes, I am so sorry I did not tell you soon-“
I cut him off with a kiss. He kissed me back and when we were done I told him that I loved him.
“Babe, I love you, I know you love me because if you didn’t then you wouldn’t have stayed with me. I love you so much, words can’t even explain it.”
“Okay, kiss me again”
When we went to bed that night we slept with the babies. That proved that he loved me because I know that any other guy would not want the kids to sleep with us. I love him. The next day Evan and I took the babies for a walk. We talked the whole time. We talked about our pet-peeves, we talked about things we loved about each other, and we talked about things that we hate about each other. I love how honest he is with me. We walked so far that we decided to walk to my parent’s house. When we got close an ambulance was speeding by. It turned on my parents’ corner. I heard it stop close to the corner. My parents lived close to the corner. When we got to the corner, we saw the ambulance parked in front of their house. My throat started to clench up a little. We walked faster. I left Miracle behind with Evan and started running. When I got to the house I pushed open the door and saw Morgyn lying on the floor.
“Mom! What happened?” I said nervously.
“She collapsed while she was dancing and now she is not breathing fully.” She told the ambulance while wiping the drops of tears from her cheeks.
“Is she going to be okay?” I said while starting to cry.
“I hope so this is nothing I have ever seen before.” The ambulance said while turning down his radio.
I got down on my knees and tried to talk to Morgyn.
“Morgyn, Morgyn, Morgyn, Morgyn, Morgyn its Hallie, come on baby talk to me. Talk to me!”
I started to cry as I layed my head on her chest. My mom helped me stand up. I turned around and hugged my mom for as long as I can remember. Later that night I realized how important Morgyn was to me, I realized how hard this must be on my parents to have their baby girl in the hospital like this. Morgyn did not deserve this. If anyone deserved this it was me. I did the most wrong in my life, and I realized maybe I should be at my parent’s side right now. Maybe they need me, a shoulder to lean on, or cry on. I lifted Evan’s arm off of me, got up quietly from my bed, got dressed, and threw my hair up. I got in the car, and was on my way to the hospital to see my baby sister. I missed her. I feel like I missed out on half of her life. I turned on the radio to try to prevent me from crying. When I got to the hospital I asked the front desk what room Morgyn Mead was in. I couldn’t believe I was asking them this question.
“Room 318, ICU”, the nice lady said.
ICU? I thought to myself. Why would Morgyn have to be in the ICU? She is only 8! When I walked into her room, I saw my mom. My mom was sobbing at her side.
“Mom, What is she doing in the ICU?”
“They said that she needed it, because she was not breathing on her own.”
“Oh my god, I feel horrible.”

This chapter is a little short. But there is DEFINITELY more to come!(: Happy Reading!

I went over to Morgyn and I tried to wake her up. I tried to get her to answer me. It did not work, at all. When she did not wake up I decided to call Evan.
“Evan?”
“Yeah it’s me.”
“Are you ok?”
“Yeah, I was just wondering why you left without waking me up. I would have kept the babies.”
“I know I just didn’t want you to get too worried as to where I was going.”
“Well where are you?”
“I am at the hospital with Morgyn, my mom, and my dad.”
“Ok.”
“Would you care if I stayed the night?”
“What?”
“Would you-“
“Hallie. I necessarily don’t want you to. But if you think that is what you have to do then do it. Just bring the babies home.”
“Ok. Thank you so much. I love you.”
“I love you too.”
I hung up the phone and pulled my mom into the hallway.
“Mom, I just got off of the phone with Evan.”
“Ok. What did he say?”
“Well, I asked him if he would care if I stayed the night here, he said no, he doesn’t care. I just have to bring the babies home first.”
“Okay. Well why don’t you just do that now?”
“Okay. Mom, why don’t you go home tonight and get some rest. You have been here for 2 days. I think you deserve it.”
“Hallie. I can-“ I cut her off.
“No mom, just go get some rest.”
“No, I’d rather not.”
“Mom, if I can do anything “easy” it would be to help you out with Morgyn.”
“I know. But I just don’t want to leave her.”
“But you deserve it”
“I know, but she is my daughter, and I don’t want to leave her.”
“Then don’t leave her! I was just trying to be nice. But you know what, I don’t even care anymore! I am just going to go home, and get some rest.”
“Hallie I-“
“No mom. Don’t bother. I was trying to be nice and you just didn’t see it. You didn’t see the picture. Goodbye”
That was all I said. I did not talk to my mother for another 3 or 4 days. I don’t understand why parents have to be so difficult. I would of rather stayed with Morgyn while she was in the hospital. My mother should not have had to do that. I called my mother on the phone because I was starting to get kind of worried about her. Normally she would call me. But this time, I called her.
“Mom”
“Hallie”
“Are you okay?”
“Yes. I am fine.”
“Okay, I am sorry for what happened a few days ago”
“Hallie, I understand why you wanted to stay with Morgyn. I completely understand. But you should not have to do that. You have kids of your own that you have to take care of. Trust me I understand completely. But I felt that I had to stay with Morgyn.
“Mom, I wanted you to get some rest. That’s why I told you to go home.”
“I know Hallie. I was starting to get worried about you. I haven’t heard from you in almost 5 days. I miss you Hallie”
“I miss you too Mom. How is Morgyn?”
“She’s doing better, your father has done everything he can, he finally snapped and went home. I haven’t talked to him in 3 days.”
“Mom! What if there’s something wrong with him!”
I got dressed and went to my parent’s house where I found my father lying on the couch. I went over to shake him. I could feel my heart beating faster than it ever has before. I could feel my stomach twisting and turning in knots. I could feel my eyes start to swell up with tears and finally,
My dad opened his eyes. I sighed in relief. I thought for a moment that the dreams I’d been having as a little kid were true. I thought that he was really gone and nothing was going to bring him back. I lied down next to him, and fell asleep.

Shacey BRONZE said...
on Feb. 3 2012 at 7:09 am
Shacey BRONZE, Watervliet, New York

Your Welcome! and thanks for the encouragment :)))

foreverSmall PLATINUM, Brighton, Michigan

Psalm 23:2-4

Oh! I understand now! Thanks for the explanation. KEEP WRITING! :D

Shacey BRONZE said...
on Jan. 30 2012 at 7:16 am
Shacey BRONZE, Watervliet, New York

No. Her life before she had the babies was a dream. I have more to the story coming though. It won't be cut off short for long

Psalm 23:2-4

I liked it. But, felt like it was cut off short and thought when she had the babies it was a dream. Cool though.