Immigrant Story | Teen Ink

Immigrant Story

November 6, 2017
By Nikolas9, Nyack, New York
More by this author
Nikolas9, Nyack, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The “American dream” is a “dream” long sought after by immigrants of all backgrounds. The process of beginning a new life and starting over in a new country greatly appeals to many, and is seen as an “American dream”.  Despite this, immigrants have and still do face discrimination in the United States. Immigrants are peltered by angry people for stealing jobs, promoting drugs, and creating chaos within the country. This is the story of Alex. A story of a man who persevered past problems and achieved his idea of the “American dream”.
The clinking and clacking of the shipyard awakened the young man Alex as he slept along the road. He was tired from working day and night and had laid down to rest. Alex, remembering that he was about to leave the country, awoke to his senses.

“ugh..oh no, I’m going to be late”
“No you’re not” said an innocent bystander, “If you run right now I think you’ll make it”
“TOOT TOOT!” went the ship horn as it prepared to set off for its voyage.

Alex rapidly re-packed all of his belongings into the small suitcase of his and chaotically began to rush towards the boat.

“Hold it!” he began to yell as he got closer
“Hold the ship!”

The workers swiftly began to put back in place the boarding ladder they had just moved, and one of the crewman ran to go tell the captain the news.

“Well Sir, you made it just in time, any minute later and we would have departed off” said a worker aboard the ship.
“Thank you so much” said Alex, “how can I ever repay you!?”.

The workers helped Alex on board and led him to his chamber. Alex had purchased the cheapest bedroom onboard to save money for America. He was bringing only eleven dollars with him and he needed to make the money last. Once in America, Alex’s family would help him out.

The ship began leaving the harbor and had begun its maiden voyage for America. Six days passed by as Alex aimlessly waited on the boat. Another day, another meal, and another lonely night. Despite the long voyage there were some people onboard to keep Alex company. They were all other immigrants searching for a new life in America.
Alex awoke to the ship blaring its monstrous horn,
“Where are we?” exclaimed Alex.
“New York City harbor” said another newcomer.
New York City. The place of dreams and hopes. A place where all people gathered to start new lives and create a wonderful life. A place where Alex had hoped to fulfill his dreams.
The boat began its descent into the harbor and the skyline was filled with a view of sky scraping buildings and a wonderful sunset. Alex looked upon the new city with amazement in his eyes. Never before had he seen a city like this. Back home in the countryside, things were much different. Alex peered to the left of the boat and saw the famed statue of liberty. The view quite literally inspired Alex as he felt an overwhelming feeling of pride. He was going to make a new life for himself and become the best worker he could. He was going to fulfill his American dream.
The boat docked against the harbor and people gathered at the dock. Relatives of the sailors and passengers onboard gathered to see their loved one’s. Alex ran out on the deck in search of his sister Edna in the crowd. He looked upon the crowd and saw her in the far back. This caused the young man to run the stow of the ship. That is where the sailors were letting the passengers off board. He gathered the little luggage he had and ran off the ship. He found his sister and proceeded to hug her.
“I missed you so much!” said Alex
“I missed you too, it has been a very long time” said his sister.
Alex’s sister left Hungary for America 11 years ago when Alex was but a child. She came to America with her new husband, they were searching for a new place to call home.
“Alex let's go to my apartment, I imagine you want to catch up” said his sister Edna.
Alex and Edna walked back to her dark, gloomy apartment. It smelled of old cigarettes and booze. Alex had found something jovial about the small grungy apartment and spent all night talking and catching up with his sister.
The next morning Alex woke to the smell of fresh eggs and sounds of the busy city.  Alex’s hopes for the day were to get a job. He was a bit deterred by the way he wanted to be treated. He did not want discrimination because of his immigrant status. He hoped it wouldn’t affect him. He got over his worries and traveled all along the city. He strolled up and down the busy city streets mixed with the assorted aroma of hot dogs and pretzels in the air. Alex eventually found his way to an industrial type of building. He peered in through the window and saw a sign, “Help wanted! Mechanics needed”.
Alex, believing that he could score a job, walked into the building with a feeling of ease. He knew what he was capable of, after all, he had grown up working and fixing tractors on the farm. Alex walked up to what looked like the manager and asked for a job,
“Hey I saw the sign from outside, could I get a job?” said Alex.
“Can you work with motors?”
  “Yes”
“Can you work with advanced machinery?”
  “Yes, I think so”
“Can you work overtime with pay?” he said with a smile.
  “Yes definitely”
“Than you’re hired” said the bossman.
Alex and the boss talked for a little bit about where they were from. They were both Immigrants. Alex being an immigrant from Hungary, and the boss being an immigrant from Poland. They grew fond of each other and exchanged life stories. Alex then thanked the man for his new job and returned back to his sister’s house. There Alex waited the day out, relaxing and preparing for his new job.
Alex woke up pumped and ready to go. He skipped breakfast and walked all the way to the factory. There he clocked in and began his day. It started off quite happily. Some of the workers became acquainted to Alex and he started to build friendships. Some of the “American” workers were angry. They felt as though immigrants like Alex were taking their jobs. Alex was aware of these stigmas but chose to ignore them.
Later in the day during the lunch break the jealous workers spoke with the manager. They demanded that immigrants working in the factory, along with Alex, be fired and replaced with “American material”. They wanted American workers to take the immigrants’ jobs. Of course the manager did not heed the advice, but he made sure to tell the new workers the message. The angry workers stared with envy at Alex and bragged about how much better they were. They bragged about how much stronger and more American they were. It came to such a degree that some immigrant workers even quit on the spot, scared and intimidated by the angry workers. But Alex was not intimidated, he was going to prove the workers wrong.
Alex started working non stop, creating motor after motor, piece after piece. Each one better than the next. He used the worker’s anger to his benefit, making sure to make every piece perfect like no other worker had accomplished before. Towards the end of the day all the workers were in amazement, the bad and the good mechanics were in awe. Never before had they seen such a spectacle. This was a feat of pure genius and precise engineering. Alex had proved that immigrants were just as good workers and people. Alex proved that he had the might and skill to be an American, the only reason that he was different was his former country. Even the “Americans” were immigrants, newcomers to America from long ago. Alex had proven them wrong, he was an immigrant who pulled off the American dream. He had become the best worker that he could and created a new life for him and his sister.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.