Running Roads | Teen Ink

Running Roads

August 18, 2011
By ShaunnDiorrr BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
More by this author
ShaunnDiorrr BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: I thought of this novel, and randomly decided to start writing. My inspiration comes from my mind..., and that's why I am writing it. I hope you all get that you can't run away from situations. You have to deal with it, because most likely you'll end up in a worse situation.

I slide my bedroom window open and peer down at the ground. From where my bedroom is, I am up two stories high. I have two choices to get down there: jumping to the ground and possibly breaking a bone, or climbing down and risk my parents seeing me.

I decide to climb down and risk my parents seeing me.

You see, I am running away from home. Not because there is an abuse situation going on, or anything else, but because living with my parents are difficult. They understand nothing about me, and every time I do something, it is always wrong in their eyes. About a month ago, I decided that I would run away, until it is time to go to college.

My boyfriend, Xavier, offered me a place to stay at his apartment. He is 22 years old, and I have been dating him since I was 14. We both agreed that in two years, when I turn 18, we would get married and move to California.

I grab my pink suitcase and toss it down on the ground. It makes a heavy thud, and I look behind me to see if my mom or dad is coming to check out the noise. When I see they aren't, I pull myself over onto the window ledge and grip onto the ladder that is located next to my window. My foot hits the ladder, and it slides over, threatening to fall down. My eyes widen as the ladder leans, and just as it is about to fall, I reach out and grab it. Slowly, the ladder steadies and I climb onto it.

It takes me about two minutes to get down on the ground without making a lot of noise. I jump when I feel a warm hand on my neck. Turning around, I expect to see one of my parents, but instead I see Xavier. He has a tiny smirk on his face, but he wraps his arms around me when he sees my terrified face. "It's okay, babe. C'mon." He bends down and grab my suitcase and drags it towards his 2010 Taurus. I trail behind him and get into the passenger seat, waiting for him to come around to the drivers seat.

"Are you sure your parents don't know?"

I nod my head. "I'm sure." I mumble, sticking my thumb in my mouth. It is a nervous habit I have for when I am nervous or scared. This is not the first time I've tried running away...but it is the first time that I plan on never returning home.

Xavier's apartment is big and spacey. The furnisher is very elegant and makes the space seem very family friendly. The main color is peach and white with hints of red in other areas. He has a livingroom, kitchen, dining room, three-bedrooms and two bathrooms.

I grab my suitcase and pull it to the couch as Xavier locks the door behind him. "Thank you for letting me stay here." I smile towards Xavier, and he nods his head. "Where's the bathroom? I want to shower." I flip the suitcase open and yank out a pair of Hello Kitty pajamas and a matching set of lingerie (I've always worn lingerie to sleep, not just for Xavier).

"Down the hall. And those are pretty sexy." He whispers, kissing my ear softly. I grin, and brush my hand over Xavier's head. "Want to use those tonight?" Xavier bites my ear softly and I can feel him grinning.

"I have school in the morning, excuse me."

Standing up, I wink at Xavier before heading down the hallway. I push open a door to the left and flip on the light. Yup, this is the bathroom. The floor is stone with a huge white shower and bath in the corner, a long kitchen counter along the wall. A door is shut, so I figure the toilet is in there or it is just a storage closet. A long mirror hangs along the wall in front of the sink.

My skin is caramel, and I have pretty black hair. I have pretty blue eyes along with a beautiful, white smile. My ears are pierced with three holes, and I also have a belly ring (something my parent's still don't know about). My cousin, Tiny, let me get it when I was with her at the mall when I was 13. I have a Tinkerbell belly-ring in it.

Sighing, I run my fingers through my hair and stare at myself in the mirror. After a minute, I turn around and begin to strip out of my clothes. I go over to the shower and turn it on to warm. The water shoots out of the jets and down my my face and over my entire body.

After I finish showering, I step out onto the floor and let the water drip down my body. I grab a towel from the towel rack and pull it around my body. My eyes roam around the bathroom, searching for some lotion. A bottle of lotion is resting on the sink counter. I go over and pick it up and squirt some on my hand. I lotion up my entire body and then I pull on my lingerie set and then my pajamas.

The water from my hair drips down my back, and I sigh. "Damn it." I mumble, grabbing my hair and pulling it into a ponytail. There is a knock on the door. "Yes?" I call out, picking up my towel and rag and toss it into the hamper next to me.

Xavier's head peeks around the door. "You done?"

"Yes." I walk to him and smile. "I could get used to this." He rolls his eyes, but leans forward and places a heavy kiss on my lips. "Do you have a laptop? I need to talk to my best friend...I forgot my phone at my parent's house."

His face drops for a second. "Yes...why can't I just take you over there when your parent's aren't home?" I stare at Xavier and his face is dead serious. "I mean...you technically aren't legal to be living with me, Maria. So, I think it is a bad idea for anybody to know you are here."

"Maddie already knows I left home." I mumble, leaning against the doorway. "You can take me to go get my phone tomorrow, but I need to talk to Maddie, so do you have a laptop?" Xavier takes a deep breath, and then turns around and walks down the hall.

I follow after him quietly, afraid that he is mad. He goes into a larger room and I follow behind him. I guess this is the Master Bedroom. The bed is King-sized and there is matching white interior. A huge bay window overlooks a long lake and a beautiful garden. Xavier grabs a white Macbook from his bed and shoves it in my direction. "You can sleep in Guestroom tonight...and put my laptop in the livingroom when you're done."

"Thanks...are you mad at me?"

Xavier's lips pull up into a tiny smile. "No, baby. Goodnight." He presses his lips against mines in a passionate kiss. His hands roam to my waist and he pulls on my lip softly. Pulling away from me, he kisses my forehead before motioning me out of the room.

**

Maddie's eyes widen as I focus the webcam around the room. "Damn. That place is dope!" She grins, staring at the picture on her screen. I nod my head, crossing my legs into the Indian Position. "What's his name again? Danny?"

"No! Xavier. He is really sweet, Mad...don't tell my parent's you talked to me." I bite my lip, thinking about how my parent's will be freaking out when they realize I am gone.

"I'm not a good liar, Maria. Let me just tell them you are okay. And where is your phone?"

"I forgot it! Are you going to school tomorrow?"

Maddie nods her head. I've know Maddie since we were babies. We are more like sisters than best friends, and we literally do pretty much everything together. She has pale skin, with blonde hair and blue highlights. Her eyes are black and her lips are a light pink. "Have Xavier bring you to school tomorrow...I want to see what that fine ass man look like." She grins.

I toss my head back and roll my eyes. "Whatever, whore!" I laugh. "I don't know if I'm coming tomorrow though...maybe I'll start online school or something. Because what if my parents come there looking for me?" I point out.

"Oh...right. Well, can I come there after school?"

"I guess. But Xavier don't want you to know where we are at."

"Why not!?"

"I don't know. Because I am underage." I mumble, biting my lip.

"How old is he?"

I blink my eyes a few times, contemplating on telling her the truth. Realizing she'll find out regardless, I decide to tell her the truth. "He is twenty-two. But don't freak Mad, he is sweet and I'll be eighteen in two years! We are getting married then." I force a fake grin, trying to get Maddie out of her state of shock.

She looks towards her bedroom door and mumbles a few words before glancing back at me. "The hell, Maria! He is twenty-two and you are sixteen! Major difference, hun. He can go to jail if you two get caught...you have to let me come over."

"No, Maddie! Don't tell, and I know. That is why nobody can know...please?" I stutter, afraid that Maddie may snitch on me.

Maddie takes a deep breath and sucks in her cheek. "Fine. I have to go...be careful, babe." She ends the video-call and I sigh. Shutting the laptop, I stand up and shuffle out into the livingroom. I set the laptop down on the coffee table and plop down on the couch.

I pull my knees up to my chin and think about this whole situation. What is wrong with me being with Xavier? I will be eighteen in a few years, and then nobody can say anything. It's not even that bad considering other people's underage relationships. Xavier is super sweet, loving and cares for me...he's tried nothing and he is only the best boyfriend that I've ever had. Is that so hard for everybody to see?

Is it so hard for them to see that I'm in love?

Xavier flips on the light, and I mumble under my breath. Turning on my stomach, I stuff my face in the pillow as I try and block out the light. "Get up." He laughs. yanking the covers off of my body. I shake my head. This bed is too comfortable to want to get up from. "I made breakfast, c'mon, Maria!" He says, grabbing my waist.

I use all my strength against him as he pulls on my waist to try and get me to sit up. "No. I don't eat breakfast." I mutter. After a minute of resistance, I let me pull me up. I glance over at Xavier, and he has a silly grin on his face. "What? Is it my face...hair?" I climb from the bed and rush over to the mirror on the wall.

My hair is sticking up on top of my head. "S***!" I say, trying to comb my fingers through my hair. I can't believe Xavier is laughing about this. This mess on my head is nothing to be laughing about. "I see nothing funny, Xavier." I mumble.

When I realize my hair is going to be impossible to tame, I quit trying to calm it down. "Um...look at yourself once more, and then you'll see what's funny." He grins. Xavier stands up and walks over to me. He has on gray jogging pants and a White Tee. His hair is perfectly laid out on his head and his skin is shining brightly in sun that is shining in from outside. "Like I said, I fixed breakfast. Oh...and I scheduled a Home-school Teacher to come and teach you. I don't think going to school is a smart thing for right now.

"I thought that." I say. "Won't they ask questions?"

"Nope. I told them you were my little sister." I raise my eyebrow. "Oh- shut up." He says, grabbing my neck and pulling me into a headlock. Giggling, I wiggle as I try and get his grip to loosen. "Is that funny?" He chuckles before letting my neck go. "Now come and get breakfast...and then you're going to need to fix...that." He says as he points to my head, laughs and then walks out of the room.

I roll my eyes and open my suitcase. All of my clothes and shoes and other belongings are not in there, so I open the closet. My belongings are hanging up, sitting on shelves or on the floor. After I surf through my outfits for a moment, I pick out a pair of white AE shorts and a AE tank top. I strip out of my pajamas and put on my clothes, and choose some AE socks, too.

After I manage to pull my hair into a decent ponytail, I go out into the diningroom. Xavier is sitting down and stuffing sausage and eggs in his mouth. I sit down across from him at a plate with two sausages, eggs, some grits and a breakfast bun. A glass of Orange Juice is placed to the side. "Aw, I didn't know you could cook." I grin.

"Well, you don't know me at all then."

"Sure. What time is the teacher coming over?" I mumble. Bending my head, I say my grace, and then lift my head once more. "I think I need more time to fix my hair."

Xavier raises his eyebrows and nod his head in agreement. "Uh-huh. Sure do!" He takes a sip of his Orange Juice and continues to eat his food. I follow him, and take a bite of the sausage. Closing my eyes, I nod my head as I stuff the rest of the sausage in my mouth.

"This is great! How did you learn how to cook like this?" I ask, biting my lip. Taking the spoon, I begin to eat the grits, which taste just as good. "This is awesome, too."

"Sounds like you haven't had a home meal in a long time." Xavier chuckles. "Oh, and the teacher will be here in a hour. I have to go to my college classes. I'll be back around five, and I'll pick up dinner tonight."

I nod my head. "Okay. You should get Jet's Pizza."

Standing up from the table, Xavier grabs his plate and shakes his head. "No. Healthy stuff." He walks towards the kitchen and I roll my eyes. Another health freak. Xavier returns after a minute, and he leans on the wall. "How was your conversation with Maddie last night?"

I pause for a second, looking up at Xavier. "It was fine..." Not wanting to talk anymore about the subject, I continue eating my food. When Xavier doesn't budge, but continues to stare at me, I realize he wants to know whether I told her where we are. "No. I didn't tell her where we are, relax babe. But, she does want to know if she could come over."

"Nope."

"But Xavier!" I exclaim, standing up to go after him as he walks out of the room abruptly. "Why not?" I grab his arm and he yanks away from me. He spins around and his eyes and hard.

"Because, I said so, Maria. She wasn't happy when you told her how old I am...was she?"

I scrunch up my eyebrows. "Wait...you were eavesdropping!" I cross my arms. "That was none of your business, that was private." I say. My jaw tenses.

That was the problem at my parent's house, too. No privacy. All my conversations were overheard by my parents someway. They say that I am too young for privacy.

Xavier grabs my arm roughly and forces me against the wall behind me. I try and get his grip to loosen, but he doesn't budge. "This is my house, Maria. I can eavesdrop if I want, too. Don't raise your voice at me, and I won't raise mines at you. And I said no, she can't come over."

After that, Xavier lets go of me and storms off to his bedroom.

**

"Do you understand?" My home-school teacher asks, pointing at the math problem on the page. I nod my head, not really paying attention. "Explain it to me then." He snaps.

I turn my gaze up at him, "I get it. Can we leave it at that?" I snap back, pushing away from the table. The thought of how Xavier got so mad at me is still stuck in my head. I've never seen him this upset, and he most definitely manhandled me like that when he has gotten mad at me.

"Okay...since you get it, what is 2(a-3) + 4b -2(a-b-3) + 5?"

Zach, my teacher's name, taps his nails on the table. I lean back in my chair and roll my eyes. "I don't know." I mumble. "6b+5." Crossing my arms, I smirk because I know that is the right answer.

Zach nods his head. "Okay, I guess you do understand this. Well, do your English studying and Math studying. Tomorrow we will work on Science and Civics." He stands up and begins packing up his stuff. "Here is your books." He slides some books towards me and I nod my head.

"Okay. Bye." I leave the books sitting on the table as I stand up and head towards the door. Zach comes up behind me and and I swing the door open for him. Taking a second, I sigh. "I am sorry I am so moody now. I'll study."

"It's okay. It's your first time being Home-schooled. Um...when is your brother home?"

I stare at Zach for a moment, confused. Realizing that he means Xavier, I shrug my shoulders. "I am not sure. Why?"

"No reason."

Zach jogs down the stairs and disappears around the corner. Right as I get ready to shut the door, a familiar face stops me. Maddie jogs up the stairs and waves at me. "Hey, Maria. Glad to see me?"

"What the hell! How'd you find me?"

Maddie grins, stopping in front of the door. "Well...the way you angled the camera yesterday gave me a glimpse of the Apartment name...and I just asked for Xavier at the desk downstairs." She wraps her arms around my neck. "Happy to see me?"

"You are such a dick! Xavier will be so pissed if he knows you are here." I mutter, stepping back in the apartment so Maddie can walk through. She looks around as she steps into the apartment. I see her eyes widen in amazement and I go and sit down on the couch. "Why are you stalking me?"

"You're my sister. I couldn't not know where you are."

I twist my lips up. "Fine. But don't randomly show up because Xavier could be here. Hey...did you grab my phone for me?" I ask. "I know I didn't ask, but knowing you-" Maddie cuts me off mid-sentence by flicking my phone on my lap. I grin, "This is why I fucking love you."

My phone lights up with 5 Missed Calls, 8 Text Messages and 5 Voice Messages. "Was my parents there? I don't want to put you through anything."

Maddie shakes her head. "Nope. Now give me a tour of this place." She reaches down and yanks me off the couch. I laugh and yank my arm away. "Or...just show me a picture of this man you are oh-so-in-love with." She grins, drawing a heart in the air.

"I am NOT!"

"Yes you are. Do not deny the love."

I purse up my lips. "Whatever. C'mon." I show Maddie the kitchen, dining room, Xavier's bedroom, my room, the other guestroom and the two bathrooms.

"This is shitty amazing." She says, clasping her hands together. "But what's up with your hair?"

I place my hand on my hair. I totally forgot about my head situation. "Oh...I forgot to fix it up this morning." I mumble. "Can you...like, help?"

"Course!" Maddie places her purse down on the kitchen counter and pats the chair in front of her. I plop down and cross my legs over one another. "Okay...where are your hair products?" Instead of waiting for an answer, she walks off towards the main bathroom and returns a few minutes later with my bag off hair supplies. "I know you too well." She mutters, her eyes sparkling.

I let out a tiny yelp as she begins to yank on the ponytail holder. "Damn it! Be careful." I yell, smacking her hand away from my head. I then take the ponytail out instead, and then let her take back over. "My head is very sensitive."

Maddie smacks me on my head with the brush in her head and I jump out of the chair and turn around to hit her. She runs away from my reach and out of the kitchen into the livingroom. I chase after her, and right when I am about to grab hold to her, trip over my feet. "Aha!" Maddie appears in front of me and I squint my eyes.

Reaching out, I grab her foot and yank it out from under her. She flies down on her butt and lets out a shriek. "Ha! Now we are even." I laugh, climbing onto my knees. "I don't know how I managed to trip over my own two feet." I laugh, "Now c'mon. My hair is still messed up."

**

Maddie grabs her mini-mirror out of her purse and holds it up in front of my face. She pressed and curled my hair. My hair is falling around my face and down my back. Some is pulled up into a hump and in the back tied into a bow. "Oh my living god." I mutter, staring at my reflection. "I didn't know you could do hair this good." I say, getting up from the chair and wrapping my arms around Maddie, "You are a lifesaver!"

"I know!"

I pull away from Maddie and examine my hair once more. "Okay. Now you have to go, Xavier will be home soon, and remember to call before you ever come over."

"Ugh! This sucks...I want to meet him." Maddie whines, puffing out her lips and crossing her arms. "But, just to be the bestest sister slash best friend, I will go." She bats her eyelashes a few times before spinning around and heading towards the door.

"Sorry, but text me."

She waves her hand in the air, swinging open the door and shutting it behind her as she walks out. I quickly begin to put my hair things back in the bag and return it to the bathroom. Going out into the livingroom, I turn on the TV to The Nine Lives of Chloe King and Alek's and Chloe's heavy kiss is on the screen. "Damn it." I mutter. Everytime I end up watching this, I miss the entire episode. I pull up the guide and smile when I see it is coming on next, too.

I think Alek and Chloe would make the cutest couple, but Brian always ends up ruining it. That sucks, especially when Chloe knows she can't kiss Brian, but she can kiss Alek. And Alek is hot, and British!

My gaze moves up to the door when it swings open. Xavier walks through the door with a handful of mail. "Hey baby." He says, looking over at me. I wave, before changing my attention back on the TV screen. "What're you watching?"

"Nine Lives of Chloe King."

"Oh. That show seems very stupid." He chuckles, setting the mail down on the coffee table and sitting down next to me. Xavier turns my head and presses his lips on mines. I close my eyes and moan as his tongue finds his way into my mouth. "What have you been up too since Zach left?" He raises his eyebrow.

I shake my head. "Nothing, really. Fixed my hair." I grin, pointing my my head and Xavier nods and smiles. "What did you bring for dinner?"

"I thought..." He kisses me once more on my lips ", we could go out for dinner."

"Sure. I need to get dressed though." I say. Right now I am just wearing my shorts and tank top.

"You look fine. Just put on some shoes." I stare at Xavier to see if he is really serious. Once I see he is, I pull my lips together and shake my head. "Okay. Fine, go change." I nod my head and stand up. Xavier smacks my butt and I shake my head as I go back to my room.

I decide on a black and white dress with a white bow on the front, and white sandals. Since my hair is done, all I have to do is makeup my face.

Going into the bathroom, I grab my makeup bag and pull out my mascara, eyeshadow and eyeliner. I use blue eyeshadow and black eyeliner. After I finish my face off with some lip balm, I walk out into the livingroom where Xavier is waiting for me. "Ready to go?" I ask, stepping in front of him.

"Yea. You up for Red Robins?"

I nod my head. "Sure."

Xavier stands up and leads the way out of the apartment. We both head down the stairs and over to his car. He pops the locks and I slide into the passenger seat. He then gets into the driverseat and starts up the car. "Do you mind if my friends join us? Michelle and Andrew are cool."

I shift my gaze over to him and frown. "Do you mean...we can see your friends who know I'm underage, but I can't see my best-friend who knows I am underage?" I let out a sarcastic laugh and slap my leg, frustrated. I turn my head towards the window and wind it down until it creaks because I am pressing down on the button to hard.

"Relax. Your friends are connected to your parents...that's why."

"Okay, but she won't tell!" I exclaim.

Xavier's jaw tenses. "Listen, just know that I said no. No question, so stop bringing it up, Maria." He says, pressing the gas. The car jerks forward and I slam into the dashboard roughly. "You okay?" He glances over at me, without stopping the car.

I ignore him instead, and grab my seatbelt and snap it shut. Through the entire ride, I ignore every conversation attempt of Xavier's. When we finally pull up in the Red Robins parking lot, I unbuckle, open the door and step out.

Shutting the door behind me, I head towards te restaurant's entrance, but am quickly snatched back by Xavier. I spin around to face him, snatching my arm away. "Don't grab me." I snap.

He sucks his tooth, trying not to react, and takes a deep breath. "What the hell is wrong with you? Don't embarrass me." He pulls the door open and ushers me through, not saying anything else. I press my lips together.

Why is this reminding me so much of when I was living with my parents.

"Hey, bro." A tall, tanned guy walks up and slaps hands with Xavier. He has brown ruffled hair, green eyes and a pretty smile. He is wearing cargo shorts and a graphic tee with a jean jacket. He also has on a snapback hat and diamond earring in his ear.

A pretty woman is standing next to him. She has black hair, like mines, pulled up in a ponytail and green eyes. She has three piercings in each of her ears, and a nose ring. She is wearing black leggings, a long cut-off shirt, and boot sandals. Bangles dance down her arm and an engagement ring dances on her ring finger. "Hey, Xavier." She waves, but doesn't make a move to give him a hug.

When their eyes focus in on me, Xavier motions toward me. "This is Maria. Maria, this is Michelle and Andrew." He says, pulling me towards him.

"Hi." I mutter, throwing my hand up for exaggeration.

After they say hello to me, Xavier and Andrew both walk over to the Walk-In counter to get a table for us four. Michelle's eyes linger on me, and when I look over at her, she has a pretty smile lingering on her lips. "You are young. How old are you, Maria?"

I bite my lip, not knowing what Xavier told them.

"It's okay. I won't tell, Xavier told us you will be eighteen in a year."

"Oh...no, I'm sixteen now. I'll be eighteen in two years." I brush my hair behind my ear and look over at Xavier who is in deep conversation with Andrew. "You look young, too, by the way."

Michelle laughs, "Oh. Thanks for the compliment...and I'm twenty-three. I know you were dying to ask." She exclaims, "How're you and Xavier's relationship going?"

"Fine. He's really sweet...but," I pause for a second, wondering if I should ask about his anger problems. Deciding not too, I shake my head. "Nevermind." Michelle looks at me with curiosity in her eyes, but she doesn't press on. "Uh - are you are Andrew getting married? Or...married already?"

She looks over at Andrew. "Oh, no! I am engaged to my boyfriend, Zach."

My eyes widen. "Is Zach a home school teacher?" I cross my eyebrows. That is such a coincidence. Michelle nods her head, and I smile. "He's my home school teacher. Xavier hired him to teach me, since I can't go to regular school anymore." I mumble the last part.

"Why not?"

I shake my head. "If they catch me and Xavier, he is going to jail. And my mom and dad would most likely stake out there...and my teachers and principle are blabbermouths." I say, leaning back on the wall.

"Oh...I understand. You don't think it's wrong?" She asks, crossing her arms. I glance behind her, and Xavier and Andrew are still over at the counter. "I mean...dating a twenty-two year old at sixteen? That's illegal, but we haven't told because Xavier is like a brother to us."

"I mean, we are in love. You can't help love, but yes, I guess it is wrong." I pause for a second to think about it, "I don't understand. Adults can be five to ten years apart in age, but a teen usually only goes three to five, and we are in trouble. It doesn't make since."

Michelle nods her head. "You're right. Zach is three years older than me, so it was like that when I was sixteen. He was nineteen, and I went through the exact thing you're going through." She pinches the bridge of her nose. "We got caught by mom parents, but they never knew his whole name or age, so we both skipped town. At first I regretted it...but then eventually, he proposed." She breaks out into a huge grin.

"That's sweet. I left home at night...my mom was just lecturing me about something stupid. But I was planning running away about a month prior. So I did not get caught."

"That's good. Have you spoken to your parents?"

"No...but I don't want, too. But I doubt that Xavier would let me. He won't even let my sister slash best-friend come over! He was hesistant to even let me talk to her over webcam."

Michelle sighs. "Damn." She bites her lip and looks out the window behind me, as if she wanted to say something. "He's overprotective of you. Listen...here." She reaches in her purse and grabs a piece of paper. Next she takes out a pen and scribbles on the paper. Handing it to me, a number is scrawled over it in neat handwriting. "Call me if anything goes...wrong. I'm pretty sure it won't, but sometimes he can get...a little. Rough." She mumbles.

"Oh."

Before we can say anything else, Xavier is wrapping his arm around me and pulling me towards an empty table for four. I quickly stuff the piece of paper in my dress pocket. Xavier pulls out a chair for me and I smile a thank you, and sit down. Xavier sits across across from me, and Andrew and Michelle does the same pattern.

"It took forever just to get this table cleared." Hisses Andrew, looking up at the waitress who is heading towards us. She has her brunette hair pulled up in a tight bun, and she has one pink lipstick and a little pink blush. She is wearing black pants and a white shirt with the Red Robins signature picture on it.

"Sorry for the wait. Can I start you all off with a drink?" She asks, pulling out her notepad. "Oh, I am your waitress, Erykah by the way."

I nod my head and glance at the menu. "Can I just have some Pink Lemonade."

"Same here." Michelle says, glancing over her menu.

Xavier bites his lip and taps his fingers on the table, "Okay...can I just have Cherry Coke?" He looks up and Erykah is scribbling our orders on the notepad. Andrew scans over his menu somemore before raising up his head.

"I'll take a Beer." He grumbles, not batting an eyelash.

Once the waitress scribbles that down, she dashes away. Michelle raises an eyebrow at Andrew, "I see you're very hungry, Mister." She grins, flipping through her menu. Andrew shoots her a shut up glare. "Gee, angry much?"

"Michelle." He sighs, "Just hush for a second." He forces a fake grin.

"What? Waitress didn't give you the time of day?" She teases, reaching across the table and poking Andrew in his chest. "Stop being a wimp."

Xavier chokes back a laugh, "I haven't heard anybody say wimp since five years ago, Chele."

"Well you just did." Michelle laughs.

I reach in my pocket and pull out my cell phone. It is blinking with two messages from Maddie. I reply back telling her that I am out to eat, and then replace my phone in my pocket. Looking up, Xavier is staring at me. "When did you get your phone back?"

"Oh...well, I met up with Maddie and she gave it to me."

"Where did you meet up with Maddie?"

I glance over at Michelle, who's face just became serious, and then over at Andrew who is ignoring this whole conversation. I suck my tooth, trying to delay an answer, but Xavier's eyes show it all. He is getting pissed. "Uhm...not to far from the house." I mutter.

"You're lying."

"No, I am-"

"She came over, didn't she?" He grunts, closing his menu. I nod my head and I can see Xavier's face turn beet red. Michelle touches my arm softly and shakes her head. "I told you not to give her the address, Maria."

"I didn't." I snap, crossing my arms. "When I was on video call with her, she saw the Apartment's name in the background out the window I guess...and she asked the person downstairs where Xavier lived."

"So she knows my name...huh?"

"No. I just told her your first name." I mumble.

We are cut off from our argument when the waitress sets my drink down in front of me. She then places everyone else's' drink down on the table. "Can I help you all with anything to eat right now?"

"Can I just have the Cheeseburger? No mayo or onions." I brush a loose piece of hair out of my face. After she grabs all of the orders, she leaves once more. "You know what...I'll be right back." I slide out of my chair, refusing to make eye contact with Xavier. I know he is super pissed, but I'll deal with that later.

"I'll come with." Michelle says, standing up next to me.

"Why do girls always go to the bathroom together?" Andrew asks, chuckling.

Without a response I head towards the bathroom around the corner with Michelle on my heels. I push open the bathroom door and stop at the mirror. My face is twisted up with worry, not knowing what is going through Xavier's head.

"Are you okay, hun?" Michelle asks, standing next to me. She turns on the water and pours some soap into her hand from the soap dispenser. "You look worried."

"He is getting so mad. How come?" I ask, turning towards her.

Michelle takes a deep breath and sighs. "I don't know. He has always been like that since we were little. Hot-headed. So be careful what you do or say, or else he can blow up." She says, sticking her hands under the dryer. "Has he ever physically hurt you?"

"No...he grabbed me once or twice. But that really didn't bother me."

"Well...like I said, ever need help or to vent, call me. My place is always open. Xavier is really sweet and a good boy, just hot-headed. I have no idea how he became like that, but he is." She pauses. "I think he really likes you, but he has a problem with getting heartbroken...maybe that is what he is afraid of."

"Oh, never!" I stutter out. "I know he is sweet, but when I first moved into his house, it's like he got angry at me when I asked to call Maddie." I begin to wash my hands after a moment of quietness. "I think we should go back..." I mutter, grabbing a paper towel and drying my hands off.

Without another word, Michelle and I head back to the table. Xavier and Andrew are laughing at something as we sit back down. "You okay?" Xavier asks, reaching across the table and grabbing my hand.

"Yea, thanks."

Xavier invited Andrew and Michelle over to his apartment for movies and drinks. Michelle loops her arm through mines as we head out towards the parking lot to leave Red Robins. "See, he was thinking about you in there. Relax and let's just have fun." She grins. "I know. But, I can't drink, ya' know." "So...that is stopping you because?" My face cracks a smile at Michelle. She seems like a who-give-a-f*** girl. "I don't know. Oh...and by the way...does Zach seem to know that me and Xavier are dating? He believe Xavier when he told him we were siblings." I twist my face up, trying to hold back a laugh. "Nope. We didn't tell him because he is such a law-abiding citizen." She grins, brushing her hair out of her face. I nod my head. "He wouldn't understand, although...that's how we were." She mutters the last part. I nod my head, not knowing how to respond to that. I am pulled away when Xavier's arm wraps around my waist. "See you in a minute Michelle." He says, swinging open the passenger door for me. I duck down and get in the car, shutting the door behind me. After a second, Xavier gets in the driver's seat and starts the car. "Enjoy dinner, babe?" "Yea, it was good." I pause, "Michelle and Andrew seem cool. Where did you meet them at?" "School." Xavier grins, placing his hand on my thigh. "You and Michelle seemed to click quickly. I hope you weren't talking about me." He glance over at me to see my expression. I turn my face and chuckle back a laugh. "Not really. Other stuff though." The car goes quiet for a minute. "I'm sorry about getting mad about your best friend coming over. I just freaked out and didn't want her to snitch and...you know." He says, tapping his nail on the wheel. "I really love you, Maria, and I just- but regardless, it was stupid for me to get so upset. She can come over if she wants, butnobody else. Alright?" I smile slightly, "Okay." ** I change into a pair of jogging pants and an oversized t-shirt. Xavier changed into his jogging pants and a graphic shirt. I get startled when I hear a knock on my bedroom door. Michelle peaks her head in. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Can I borrow some shorts and a tee?" She walks in and shuts the door behind her. "I don't want to wear this anymore." She grins, plopping down on my bed. "Course!" My closet is sorted out neatly, so I pull out my drawer full of shorts and toss her a black cut-off pair, along with a white tank-top. "That should work. But I want those short back, those are my favorite." I laugh. "You'll never get anything back from her." Michelle begins to strip out of her clothes to put on the ones I gave her. I turn away towards the mirror and examine my hair. It is still up and fine, but I decide to yank it out of the bow and try and redo it tomorrow. I pull my hair into a high ponytail and put a headband over my hair. "I'm going back out." I turn around to see Michelle walking towards the door. "Okay." I examine my hair once more before following her out into the livingroom. Andrew and Xavier have cups in their hands with a bottle of Red Wine sitting on the table. Xavier has the remote in his hand and is flipping through the movies on the screen. "You guys are super ghetto!" She exclaims, popping them each on the back of their heads. Andrew looks up with a confused look, but Michelle just struts out of the room into the kitchen. I laugh and go over and sit down next to Xavier. He pulls my legs up over his lap and wrap his arm around my neck. Michelle returns with four Wine Glasses and sets them down in front of us, "Be classy." She grins. "Whatever." Andrew says, grabs the wine bottle and begins pouring the wine into the wine glasses. When he hands me one, I take it and bite my lip. I begin to debate on whether I should drink it or not. "C'mon. Try it." Andrew urges, pushing the glass towards my mouth. I glance over at Michelle and she is already sipping on hers, and Xavier is just staring at me with his eyebrow arched. Slowly, I lift the glass to my lips and I take a quick sip. The taste of the red wine runs down my throat and I shrug my shoulders. "It's...okay." When I sip a little more, my throat begins to tingle. "I knew you'd like it." Michelle grins, sipping more of her own. "What movie are we watching?" "I don't know. Saw III?" Xavier asks, turning towards me. My cheeks turn beet red and I shake my head. "I don't like scary movies. Choose something else." I quickly gulp down the rest of the glass and sit back on the couch. "Like a comedy." "Stop being such a punk, Maria." Xavier teases, grabbing my waist and pulling me towards him. I roll my eyes and lean forward to set my glass down. Xavier pushes my feet off of him and stands up to go cut off the lights. He then returns and pulls me on top of him. I glance over at Michelle and Andrew and they are talking quietly. Xavier turns on Saw III and I sigh. "I don't want to see this." I grunt. Andrew laughs. "That shows your age. Your attitudes." He grins, and I ignore his comment and just focus on the movie. The previews begin to go, but Xavier fast-forward pass them. The movie now comes on. ** Within 40 minutes of the movie, I am strictly horrified. I force myself out of Xavier's grip and quickly walk out of the livingroom and back into my bedroom. Shutting my door, I flip my light on and glance around. I knew I shouldn't have watched that movie. I go over to my bed and lay down on my stomach, and take a few deep breaths. Closing my eyes, I try and forget about the movie, but images keep finding their way back into my head. I jump when I hear a creak, but calm down instantly when I realize it is Xavier. He comes over to me and rests his hand on my back. "You okay, baby?" "I told you I didn't want to watch that." I say, lifting my head. He chuckles, but doesn't respond. Instead, he turns my body over so that I am laying on my back. Leaning forward, he presses his lips onto mines and hovers over me. "Sorry. I though you'd get over that..." He mumbles in between kisses. His tongue finds its way into my mouth and I begin moaning softly. I feel his hand beginning to roam up my shirt and rest on my breast. He squeezes softly, and then begins to move around to unhook my bra. "You want to...?" He quits kissing me to see what my response is. I shake my head when I realize he means have sex. "No. I-I don't think I'm ready." I grab Xavier's arm and try and move it from my bra hook. "I said no Xavier." I grunt, when he doesn't stop trying to unhook it. He groans in irritation, but starts kissing along my neckline. "Why?" He groans, lifting my shirt up slightly. "I know you want toooooo." He sings, chuckling. I guess the alcohol has gotten to him, so I guess I need to stop this. "You are drunk, Xavier. Please quit." I whine. "I am not drunk, Maria. Babe...come on. Let's just do it." He mumbles, standing up to take off his shirt. I use this opportunity to climb off the bed on the opposite side so Xavier can't stop me. He rolls his eyes. "Maria! Get back on the bed." He orders, taking a step towards me. I step onto the bed and quickly run across it, hopping down onto the floor. Quickly, I head towards the door, but Xavier grabs my waist and flings me over his shoulder. I whine loudly, and squirm, trying to get out of his grasp. "No! Let go of me." I cry. Xavier tosses me down on the bed and sits down ontop of me. He grabs the end of my shirt and prys it over my head and then he tries to pull my jogging pants down. "Quit. I said no." I exclaim. "Shut up, Maria." "No! Quit!" I yell, but Xavier quickly puts his hand over my mouth and shoots me a warning glare. I shut my eyes, not willing to let tears fall. Xavier replaces his hand with his lips and his kisses become less romantic and more forceful. He yanks my pants down finally and then begins to pull my panties. My underwear is halfway down when the door swings open. "Oh my gosh! What are you doing!?" I hear Michelle say. I feel Xavier lift up from off of me and I instantly pull my panties back up. Searching around, I grab my shirt and jogging pants and fumble with them until I finally get them back on. "What they f*** are you doing in here?" Xavier yells, grabbing Michelle's arm. She snatches away and glares at him. "Don't touch me, Xavier. You need to go to bed. You are f*ing up big time right now, and Maria grab a bag." Before Xavier can respond, I walk over ot the closet, grab a pink duffell bag and begin shoving dresses, underwear, bras, pajamas, pants and shirts in there, along with a pair of sandals, Vans and black pumps. "Where are I going?" I mutter. "With me, c'mon." Michelle grabs my arm and begins to lead me out of the room, but Xavier grabs my waist and pulls me back towards him. "Let her go." Hisses Michelle. Andrew comes up behind her, confused. I'm guessing he is drunk, too. "What the hell are you doing, Chele?" He asks, combing his fingers through his shaggy hair. Michelle ignores him, and finally snatches me away from Xavier, who has a look that can kill in his eyes. She shoves me in front of her and I swing open the door and shuffle down the steps with the sound of her slamming the door and jogging behind me down the steps. We both go to her Red Convertible and get in. Once Michelle starts up the car, pulls out and is onto the road going towards her home, she glances at me. "You okay? He do anything?" "No...just kissed me." I stutter, still shaken up from the fact Xavier tried to force himself on me. "Is he just acting like this because he is drunk?" I stare out at the passing trees and flowers and stuff. Michelle sighs. "I'm sure it is. I've never seen him act like that, but maybe it is because the alcohol. Hopefully." She murmurs. The car stops once the light turns red and Michelle plops back in her seat. "Zach will be here. I will just tell him you and Xavier got in an arguement and I invited you to stay over." "Okay. I'm surprised he doesn't know any of this." "You'll be surprised." Michelle smirks, drawing her lips in a straight line. "I hope it's okay that you'll be sleeping on the pullout couch. This was kind of unexpected." Glancing over at Michelle, I nod my head. "Yea. That is okay...but I could have just stayed there. Xavier would have calmed down eventually." "No. He was in one of his moods, and he would've probably taken it out on you...or he could've finished what he started." The car goes quiet, and the only sound is the car driving over the pavement of the streets. Michelle pulls up into a tall, brick home driveway. "This is a nice home." I say, examining the exterior of the house. "Thanks, hun." We both climb out of the car, and I grab my duffel bag. Michelle leads me to a door around the house and she sticks the key in and twists it open. The door swings open and a bright light shines out. I follow Michelle towards what I guess is the livingroom. Zach is sitting there with some basketball shorts on and no shirt on. The first thing I notice is his abs. He has a 8-pac...wow. That was unexpected. He glances up with a smile towards Michelle, but his expression turns confused once he sees me. "Oh- hi Maria. What are you doing here?" "Her and Xavier got in a fight. Long story." "Oh...are you okay?" He raises his eyebrows, and his voice is alot huskier than earlier. I nod my head. "I'm fine." "So I am guessing, we are doing the tutoring here...tomorrow?" He glances over at Michelle and she nods her head. "Well, I'll see you upstairs babe, and night, Maria." Standing up, Zach climbs the steps leading upstairs. "Night." I mumble, placing my bag next to the wall. "So...is this the pull out bed?" I ask, raising my eyebrown towards Michelle. "No. It's in the den."She motions for me to get my bag and I oblige. Michelle leads me down a hallway into a medium-sized room. There is a couch in the middle of the room, with a bookshelf, computer desk and a laptop sitting ontop of it. A TV is placed on the wall and a phone is next to it. "This is nice." "Yea. I'll help you pull it out, c'mon." Once we pull the bed out, I see that is has bedsheets already on them. The bedsheet has flower designs on them, along with white petals every other place. "Thanks, Michelle. You really did not have to do this for me...but, can you call Xavier and see if he's calmned down...I'm afraid to." "Sure thing. Night." Michelle walks out and shuts the door behind her. I grab my bag of clothes and pull out some pajamas. Taking off my clothes, I replace them with my Tweety Bird pajamas and matching socks. Finally, I get a chance to get to sleep. I pull the covers back, and slide in. Damn...this is comfy, I think, letting my head hit the pillow and closing my eyes.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


Naomi__ said...
on Oct. 1 2011 at 11:53 pm
OMG! This is ah-may-zing! <3 You are a wonderful writer, pleaseeeee finish. :)