A Dangerous Ride | Teen Ink

A Dangerous Ride

By Dezzy331, Groesbeck, Texas
Dezzy331, Groesbeck, Texas

The way to gain a good reputation, is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates

Author's note: Me and my friend Staci nish wrote this story because we both really love horses.

Jenny looked out side the window of the truck to see nothing but grass and trees. “Where are all the horses mom?” she asked impatiently. “At the ranch” Melinda answered for her mother. Melinda and Jenny are sisters with a three year age difference. Jenny has been living with her father since he and her mother got a divorce when she was 7, she is now 10 and is going to her mother’s horse ranch in Texas for the summer. In a few months she will return to Denver for her 11th birthday and school will be starting soon after that. A old country song started playing on the radio in the truck and Melinda started humming to the tune. Jenny looked at her sister, she had long curly light brown hair with blue eyes just like her mother, Jenny looked at her own sleek black hair which is hereditary from her fathers side of the family along with light green eyes. Jenny then looked at her mother she had her hair pulled back in a low ponytail she looked very small behind the wheel of that big blue Chevy pick-up truck.  

Jenny took in a deep breath, she looked back out the window to see a big metal entrance on the end of the red dirt road it read “Broken Arrow River Ranch”. Behind that a small ranch house sat at the base of the gigantic Guadeloupe Mountains Then she asked her mom “Is that it?”. “Yes” she answered, smiling at her daughter. Melinda opened the window to let in the dry, hot Texas air. They pulled onto the long gravel driveway, the white wooden fence lined it as if to guide you to the farm house and barn that await at the end. Melinda asked her mother “Can I take Jenny to the barn to meet Sea Star, and Candy boy?” “Sure” her mother answered “As long as you don’t get on them until  I get there” she added in a warning voice. “Ok.” Melinda answered Jenny knew that something exciting was going to happen by the way Melinda is acting.

The girls went up stairs to take their showers and get ready for bed. As Jenny got into her new bed for the summer Melinda asked if she wanted a different pillow. “You have such chivalry but no thank you said Jenny”. She closed her eyes and fell into a deep mediating sleep. She started to dream of medieval times with horses and evil sovereigns. She dreamed she was on a quest for a secret magical horse that not many people knew of. She found this magical horse and they formed a amity. They had a very devout relationship, so that they could basically read each others minds. They were very venerable when it came to each others feelings. And as they were riding they came cross a citadel. It was owned by a king who thought only of himself. Jenny walked up to him and asked him politely if he knew where she was and he told her defile that he did not care where or who she was. After that she ran off and started to cry and wanted to go home. Then she fell and scraped her knee and cried even harder. “Jenny wake up your having a nightmare” screamed her sister. “ I just had the scariest dreams,oh Mel it was so horrible!” said Jenny. Melinda said “Its ok just go back to sleep.” Jenny rolled over and looked at the clock it was 3 am. She fell asleep fast but not as quickly as before because the dream still felt real. Thank God that she had a sister like Mel thought Jenny, what would I have done without her. She dreamed again but this time the selfish King enticed her to come live with him and be his horse trainer. All of a sudden as if the horse was talking he told her “No its a trap.” Right as the words left the horse’s mouth the king turned into a coyote with black fur and burning red eyes. Jenny jerked awake it was early morning already.