Regret | Teen Ink

Regret

February 2, 2014
By marielly luna, Astoria, New York
More by this author
marielly luna, Astoria, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note: I hope people get really entertained by this piece and like it.

I breathe heavily as I pause for a break. The police sirens are roaring in the background. My heart pounding as I lift up a medium sized package of cocaine. I begin to run again. Run, run, run is all I hear in my mind, run as far as you can. As the sirens sound become farther and farther, I sit in a dark alley with a dusty floor and abandoned bikes. The dark walls and lack of sunlight makes me feel like I’m being held captive in a box. Old bags full of garbage sweep in the opposite direction. I hold my breath for a while.
"Gross smells like death in here.” I whisper.
I stare at the packet of cocaine.
A medium sized plastic package lays in the palm of my hand. It reminds me of glaciers or salt crystals. Police sirens howl in the background.
The police sirens sound farther and farther. I can’t believe this is what I do for a living.
“Why, did I say yes when Wyatt talked me into this job?! Now I can’t get out of this cause of the stupid boss!” I yell. My words echo loudly. Reaching into my pocket I pull out my phone, the light brightening the alley. ‘4:29 pm.’ I get up, dust my pants, and run to the house that I needed to deliver the drugs to. The fresh smell of oxygen runs through my nostrils and I exhale slowly. I fix my short brown hair and put it into a bun. I knock on the door and wait. A tall guy with short black hair and hazel eyes in a muscle tank, opens the door. His arms with bruises black and blue. He is way too old for that muscle tank.
"Hey, um... here is your package sir.." I half whisper.
"Thanks, I like your shirt." He says. I look down and read it.
‘Don’t dress to impress.’
"Oh thanks." I say, with an awkward grin. An awkward pause stays between us. Until a loud boom interrupts the silence. A dog sprints down the stairs and into the kitchen, while I stare. "Norman help!" I hear a lady yell. I jump from the piercing sound of her screaming.
"Everything is okay back here," He says nervously and rubs his neck. His eyebrows raise and the wrinkles on his forehead grow larger. Norman hands me some money and winks.
“ You run along now little lady, thank you once again.” He says.
“Okay bye.” I reply. I walk away and look from the corner of my eye, his eyes following me as I walk. “HEY!” he yells. I turn around and walk back towards him.
“What is it now?” I spat.
“Here’s a small gift for anything that comes around.” He replies. The annoying grin on his face makes me want to push him down the front porch stairs. He hands me extra money and winks. I stare at him with disgust. “Thanks for the tip sir, have a good day.” I roll my eyes and walk away.
By the end of the 32nd street I pause. I see two tall men with dark blue uniform and badges on their sleeves. With a black pouch on their waist containing their guns.
“Crap, cops again!” I whisper.

I turn around and pace quickly before they see me. My head is faced down staring at the cracks on the ground as I walk. It feels like I’ve been walking for hours, until I lift my head and stare at the dead end sign. "Dang it." I mutter. A mysterious dark forest with old trees is behind the sign and I walk in. The different textures of the trees make me touch them. The rough feeling on my fingers makes them tingle. I sit down and stare at the persian blue sky. The air is so fresh it feels soothing. I close my eyes and focus on the sounds of the forest. The trees and birds make a calming rhythm as I breathe. The rocks on the ground on top of the rich brown soil have some fancy designs. My fingers gently touch them. I stay here for about 20 minutes observing the plants and return back home.

I open my door and smell steak and potatoes. Lola hops on my knees with her collar making loud jingle noises. I pet her gray and white fluffy hair and make my way through the kitchen. “Hello mother.” I say. I place the money I earned in a jar and hug her. “How was your day?” She says. ”There are a lot of police all over the neighborhood and its really risky to be delivering drugs mom. Im scared I will go out to there and never come back home again.” “When will this be over, I don’t want to do this anymore.” “This is all my fault for being stupid and saying yes to Wyatt, when I could have just said no.” I raise my voice. My mom sighs and closes her eyes. “ I know it’s hard Mia it will get better I promise, now go freshen up for dinner.” She replies.
I walk away and go to my room instead. I look through some old plant books I have to learn more about the tree I touched. My eyes stare at the posters in my room to see if the plant was on any of them, but it wasn't. It's been one month since i've been wanted by the cops and not been to school. It’s been pretty good without school, no homework, no worries of drama, or school stress. Ever since we moved here I have liked it, except the cops. We live in a pretty big house for my mom, dad and little brother. Also its not like there are wanted signs around the neighborhood with my face and name. Only the cops know im wanted, but they don't tell the whole neighborhood. I found out I was wanted by my best friend Lacie. She's amazing.
I walk into my room and open my cabinet. Taking a large oversized t-shirt and put it on. ““I’ll shower later its too much work, lets go watch some tv.” As I walk through the kitchen I notice a small note on the table.
‘Be back later, went to get some gravy. -mom.’
“Well thats pretty unexpected.” A buzzing sound fills the room and realize its my phone. My phone lights up and Lacie’s photo appears on the screen
“Hello?”
“ Hey Mia! its me Lacie.”
“Lacie I have caller ID, you do know we are currently living in a much advanced generation.”
“Gosh Mia, don’t needa' be so sarcastic,you loser.” She replies.
I hear the small giggle she let out.
“Anyway, I wanted to tell you if tomorrow night you wanted to come with me to this party, its gonna be so great and I really dont want to go alone!” She pleads.
“Um... I don’t know, there's so much to do like sleep, eat and go on tumblr, and sleep and eat again.” I answer.
“C’mon Mia! Can’t you're lazy day hold for tomorrow!”
“Just one day, please!” She begs.
I sigh. “Well okay, one day won’t hurt right?” I ask.
“No it will not! You will enjoy it watch.”
“Okay then, I’m going.” I say.
I hear her squeal enthusiastically, and I pull the phone away from my ear.
“Okay ill pick you up at 9 pm okay?” she yells.
“Okay see you tomorrow Lacie, bye”.
I turn the TV on and flip through the channels while I pet Lola with my other hand. I feel a vibration by my leg and pick up the phone. The text is from an unknown number.
"Hey so you coming to that party tomorrow right?"
I assume it's Lacie but she just finished talking to me.
But it's not. I know it’s not.
‘No.’ ’I reply
My phone buzzes.
‘Why love, don’t you what to spend some time with your bestfriend?’
At that exact moment I realize its Wyatt. My ex boyfriend, who I broke up with because he was cheating on me. We work together in the drug business but I avoid him at all times. That reminds me that Lacie told me a couple of days ago he broke up with his girlfriend. Who knows what number girlfriend it was, he’s had many.
‘Go away Wyatt, I know its you and I don’t care about you anymore.’ I text back.
‘Well I didn't know you were going to figure out so quick. So you’re going right?’
I don't reply and turn off my phone.
“MIA!” My brother shouts from his room. I stare at the tv and see an annoying Target commercial. “WHAT DO YOU WANT CHRISTIAN!” I yell.
“CAN YOU BRING ME THE MAC AND CHEESE I LEFT ON THE TABLE, I FORGOT IT!” He replies. “NO COME DOWNSTAIRS AND GET IT YOURSELF, YOU GOT LEGS." I answer.
“YOU’RE SO ANNOYING AND LAZY, GOD.” He grunts and shouts. Christian's footsteps make me turn around. He walks down the stairs and into the kitchen.
“Loser.” he says. “Whatever." I respond and roll my eyes.
I go to my room and begin to search for clothes. Im not in the mood to go but I'm doing it for Lacie. I gaze through my closet and find a black crop top with a red waisted skirt.
“That's cute.” A voice says from across my room.
My body jumps in surprise and I see a tall, golden tan, brunette curly haired girl. Wearing shorts and an oversized hoodie. Her dark sweater brings out the color of her hazel eyes. Its Lacie. She always wears hoodies with shorts. Last time her mom threw out one of her hoodies because it looked old to her, and Lacie freaked out. She began yelling all over the place, hoodies are precious to her.
“Lacie stop scaring me, how did you even get in?” I ask.
“Well I noticed the door was open. Why would you leave it open are you crazy the cops are looking for you and your door is open!” She yells. “Geeze Lacie, chill your acting like mom. Plus it was probably Christian who left it open he’s always running all over the place.” I say.
“Anyway so you think the outfit is cute? I ask. “Yeah, I don't think the white Vans should go with that though.” She replies.
“Lace, it's not like I'm going to a ballroom or anything.” Heels are just so hard to walk in, it's too much work.” I really hate them so shut up, okay. I retort.
“Mhmm whatever you say, you’re going to end up wearing one of my heels tomorrow watch.”
I roll my eyes, and throw my clothes on the bed.
“Well, you should go home because you’re annoying me and I already picked out my clothes. I’m gonna go to sleep. See ya." I say.
I sit on my bed and look out the window for a while. The trees moving slowly and everything's quiet. The sky a dark air force blue and the moonlight shining through my window. The lights turning off from other houses and the clouds blending in with the sky. The moment reminds me of an old movie. I lay down and pull the blankets over me, my whole body feels relaxed and feel my eyelids closing. As my head hits the pillow, I feel myself slowly drifting to sleep.

I wake up and look at my clock its 3:00 pm, I hear Christian yelling at a video game in the background, and walk to the kitchen. “Good afternoon Mia.” My mother said. I look at her and grin. “Mornin’." I take my breakfast to the room and go on tumblr. Minutes pass and I’m still on tumblr. A black shadow appears near my closet. Oh that's probably my tall Fern. The shades are down and the lights are off, so it makes it even harder to find out what it is. My eyes focus more on the outline of the shadow, and I see curly hair.
“Lacie stop.” I say.
“How did you even know it was me?” She asks.
“I dont know anyone else with curly hair so.. its you.” I answer.
“Well okay lets go now.” “IT’S ALREADY TIME?” I yell.
“Yeah so lets go.” She answers
. “I didnt even change yet...” I whisper. “Oh well lets get you ready then.” She replies.
I search for the black crop top, red high waisted skirt and sneakers. My feet slip into my shoes and I begin to straighten my hair. I apply some make up thats dark but not too much. “Hey make it lighter or your eyes will look as black as charcoal” Lacie says. I agree and apply less.
“Okay lets go now.” I check my phone and read a new text ‘Meet you there.’ I ignore Wyatt's text and we drive away.

We arrive at the party its huge and there are no familiar faces, which is good because no one will know who I am. Its 10:00 pm and the music is already hurting my ears, I can feel the heat of people’s bodies around. The smell of alcohol so strong I feel my nostril hairs burning. All of the people have red cups and are dropping some beer onto the floor as they dance. Their bodies pounding to the music. The different colors of the lights catch my eyes.
Lacie makes a weird noise and I turn around. Daniel begins walking toward us and the joy in Lacie’s face makes me smile.
“Hey Mia, how are you doing is everything alright?” Daniel asks. “Yep, s'all good.” I answer and grin.
I see a boy about a foot taller than me with wide glasses that frame his huge eyes. The flashing lights shadow his broad features and brown hair. His eyes were of a caramel color with flecks of green. He pats Daniel on the back and smiles at me and Lacie. I smile back.
“Hey Ayden, meet my girlfriend Lacie and her best friend Mia.” Daniel says
“Well hello and nice to meet you two I’m Ayden like he just said. I’ve actually never seen you guys in school which is weird.” He says.
His voice is very deep and rich. Every feature on his masculine face drips of perfection. I want to melt.
“Well actually, I go to your school. Mia here, goes to a different school.” Lacie lies.
“Oh, that’s pretty cool.” He replies and smiles at me.
“Okay, we are gonna go get some drinks and you guys can get to know each other.” Lacie demands. I give her an evil glare before Ayden can notice. She smiles and walks away holding hands with Daniel.
“Hey again, the music here is blasting, do you want to go some place quieter?” I yell.
He takes a sip of his beer and looks around. “Yeah sure follow me.” He responds. I grin and he places his hand out. I place my hand on his. His hand so soft yet cold, holding his hand makes me feel so connected to him. This weird feeling tenses up in my stomach but I ignore it. We enter a really big living room. With light brown walls and a big dark green couch, the room smells like food and roses. The people are much more quiet but still drinking. Ayden sits and strokes his hair, the scent of his cologne smells like paradise. “So are you like the one who started this party?” I ask.“
“No it was Daniel who gave my friend Ryan the idea and I just went along with it. His parents are away for some vacation with mine, so yeah.” He says.
“Well thats pretty cool.” I answer.
“Not to be a creep or anything since we just met, but you look stunning.” He says.

“It’s okay, thanks actually I think you look really hot.” I tell him. Crap that sounded so weird hes gonna think I’m desperate.“Thanks, I’m going to go get us some drinks okay?” He says. “Alright.” I answer
My eyes search the room and I spot someone. Wyatt. His luscious, tan hair reaches his shoulders. His teal sweatshirt accentuates his dark green eyes. A red cup is in his hand, no surprise there. Wyatt believed a good time required alcohol. He was laughing about something with some guys. I try to avoid eye contact, but it is too late and we are now staring right at each other. I get up and make a beeline towards the kitchen. I feel long fingers encircle my wrist and pull me to a halt. Wyatt smells of alcohol and cologne.
“What do you want?” I ask, loudly. He just stares at me with an unreadable expression.
“Let go of me.” I grunt, attempting to remove my wrist from his grasp.
“Chill, don’t worry. I won’t do anything to you,” He winks.
“I just wanted to say, You look fine in that outfit.” He smirks.
Although I have no romantic feelings towards him, Wyatt is and always will be a good-looking guy. It pleases me and sends chills down my spine. I would never admit this so I roll my eyes and walk away. He attempts to grab me again but I refuse.
“Don’t touch me! Go away,” I say.
His smirks just seems to widen.
“I don’t care about you anymore. Get out of my life.” I repeat, a bit too dramatically.
“Listen Mia,” He slurs. I stand impatiently, my arms crossed. He’s drunk, this won’t take so long.
“I understand I’ve made many mistakes before and I regret them. I want to be with you. I still love you. I just want you to give me another chance Mia. I promise that nothing will come between us.” He continues.

I stare at him with a blank face, but my rigid arms soften a bit.
"You will see how much I love you if you give me another chance. I always think of you." Just give me another chance and you will see it’s the truth. I love you." He begs, our faces inches away. He walked over to me slowly. I back away and I go rigid again. This is how I always fell into his trap. Not this time.
“No Wyatt. Face it, I won't give you another chance.”
I think about what he did.
“Man whore.” I add. The expression on his face changes from hurt to rage. I have to admit, I’m quite happy about it. He deserves it.
“What did you just call me?” He barks. I look straight into his green eyes. I can see the anger burning in them.
“You heard me.” I say and walk away.
“Slut.” He yells.
I walk back towards him and stand there for a few seconds. I stare at his hair which I really want to touch but I slap him instead. His head shoots down and he lifts it up. You can see the outline of my hand in a light pink color and the inside turning a dark shade of red slowly. Everyone turns around from the noise and look at me with a blank expression.
“Mia, you will regret that, watch!" He shouts.
I walk back to where I was and sit. I see Ayden coming towards me with two red cups. “Sorry I took long, there was too many people and I kept dropping the cups.” He forgives. “It’s okay, thanks for bringing it to me.” I answer.
“Do you want to dance?” He asks. I chug my drink quickly and see my surroundings spin a little, but I get over it. “Yeah sure.” I answer. He smiles and takes my hand.
We return to where we met, the room is really crowded and the music is blasting loudly everyones dancing and having a good time. I begin to dance to the rhythm of the music with Ayden. “Wow you dance really good!” He yells “Thanks.” I say.
Time passes and I’m still dancing with him, we take a break and sit down. “You are amazing at dancing, maybe you can teach me sometime.” He says and smirks. “Maybe I will sometime.” I smile. “I’ll be right back I’m going to go use the bathroom quickly." He says.
Throughout that whole dance I learned a lot about him. He loves to read and play baseball. He wants to go to Yale, has no siblings, and lives near me and loves nature. We are really similar except the selling drugs part which I didn’t tell him about. He’s the perfect boy for me, and I'm already starting to like him. If it is possible, over the course of the night, I've learnt to trust him more than I ever trusted Wyatt.
But the thing that made me feel very unhappy was when he said his parents are cops. I smiled it off and said cool but it really isn't. He come back and sits with me.
“Mia there is something I want to tell you.” Oh no, the worst words to ever hear. “Yeah Ayden?” I question.
“This is weird to say because I just met you like 6 hours ago, but I really like you. I feel like we've known eachother for a long time.” He says gently.
"That's not the alcohol speaking," he adds quickly with a chuckle.
He lowers his head and stares at his shoes.
“Oh thank goodness I’m not the only one who feels like that. I really like you too.” I confess. A smile grows on his face as he lifts up his head.
“Really?” He asks.
“Yeah, it’s true.” “Its just so-.”
Bang, Bang, Bang!
The screaming and booming sound interrupt him. I look around and see people running towards the door. The people running makes all of the vases and pictures tremble.
“Gunshots.” I whisper.
“We need to get out of here!” He yells. I grab his hand and see the person with the gun. Wyatt.

I run and duck behind a wooden table so he won’t see me. He spots me and start shooting faster and uncontrollably. I look back and see the bullets flying across the room. The the bullets hit a lamp, picture frame and a vase. Beneath me I see a boy with his eyes open and a red cup on the floor. The blood oozing out of his wound and he’s still jerking from the impact of the bullet. I look away and close my eyes. This isnt happening, its not real it’s fake, this is just a dream. I open my them and continue running
“There are people bleeding on the floor we need to run faster Mia!” Ayden shouts. “Yes I’m trying its my heels!” I yell. I take them off and run while hold them.
“YOU DID THIS TO ME, YOU DID MIA, YOU WILL REGRET IT.” Wyatt yells from a far. The loudness of his voice make my ears tickle. I try not to look back but I do. I see the tears streaming down his face, his face is as red as the blood on the floor. I hear something shatter and see a broken tv on the ground. I continue running.
Me and Ayden arrive at a dark dusty place with old furniture, it looks like it has been here for over 50 years. The smell makes me gag. From the corner of my eyes I see movement on the ground and notice they are bugs. An old chair is moving back and forth in the corner, creak, creak. Dust floating in the air. I cover my nose with my sweater.
“We are safe here Mia don’t worry, text Lacie and ask her if they are okay.” He demands. “Yeah let me do it right now, I hope they are okay.” I answer. I pull out my phone and begin to type. “By the way did that crazy guy yell, you did this to me Mia, you will regret it?” He asks. “No he said you did this to me Analia, it’s a girl from my school, she was there.” I lie.
“Oh okay.” He answers.
My phone beeps, its a text from Lacie.
‘We are safe are you? Where are you guys? Was that Wyatt, last time I saw him he was drinking, plus who brings a gun to a party?’
‘No time for questions we are in some abandoned place with furniture and dirtyness, get over here now.”’ I click the send my location button and sent it to her.
“They are on they’re way Ayden.” I tell him. “Oh okay.” He answers. Ayden is on the floor making circles with his fingers on the dirt near him. I stare at him and sit beside him. He looks up and smiles. His lips move like they want to say something but nothing comes out.
“You are gorgeous even in the dark.” He says. The light of my phone makes me notice his cheeks are red. “Thanks.” I respond. We stare at eachother, and I see him moving closer to my face. He is looking deep into my eyes and I stare directly at him. He smirks and presses his lips on to mine; our lips moving in sync. I taste the alcohol in his lips, and it soothes me. It feels like we have kissed for hours and we pull away gently. Our foreheads touch as we stare at eachother. As he smiles he raises his head and looks away. I smile back and stare at his brown chestnut hair.
“You are such a nice guy, have you noticed, you’re not like other guys i’ve met?” I tell him.
His head rises. “No, but you’re a great kisser, thanks.” He replies. We hear footsteps and get up immediately.
“Hey Lace and Daniel.” I greet.
“Hey, are you guys okay no injuries right?” Lacie asks. “Nope we are good.” I answer. “Okay, we should head home.” Daniel says. We follow him out and get into the car.
I sit in the back with Ayden and see his lips look a lighter shade of red. My lipstick. When we arrive I notice its an unfamiliar home. “Ayden we are going to stay at your house for today, your parents are not home so it’s even better.” Daniel says. “Sure, whatever.” Ayden replies.
Ayden opens the front door, a huge organized living room with a wide tv fascinates me. It smells like vanilla, and I see a bunch of paintings all over the living room. I look at Lacie and raise my eyebrows, she smiles back. “Welcome to my house.” Ayden says. I turn around and say, “Your house is lovely.” “Okay, so my parents get home tomorrow so keep it clean.” He demands. “Okay.” We all say. He goes upstairs and comes back down with some long t-shirts. “Here put these on so you won’t sleep with those outfits. He hands me and Lacie a shirt. “You can go freshen up, upstairs.” Ayden says.
We go freshen up and come back down, I sit with Lacie while the boys are upstairs. I gave Lacie the rundown of what happened at the party.
“I kissed Ayden...”
Her eyes open wide and her long eyelashes flutter while she looks around. “What?, are you serious.” She says in a high pitched tone. “Yeah, hes super cute, I love when I’m around him.” I say quickly. “Aww, thats so cute you guys would be perfect.” “Yeah if it ever happens.” I say. “Dont worry it will.” She replies. We hear them come down the stairs and change the topic.
My phone beeps and I see a text from Wyatt. ‘Hey Mia, just please give me another chance please, I know you still don't believe me, I don't know how to explain how much I love you, just please. When I saw you with that boy I couldn't stand but get angry because I love you so much. I really want you to understand that I love you and it hurts me seeing you with another person. Please give me another chance, please.’ He confesses.
I ignore the text and get another one.
‘Make the right choice or you will regret it.’ He writes.
He has used that phrase so many times that I don't even care about it anymore. It means nothing to me now but everyday I think of those words.
“Hey.” Ayden and Dylan say. Me and Lacie turn to them and smile. Ayden sits next to me and turns on a movie, while Daniel turns off the lights. We are watching a movie and I place my head on Aydens shoulder. He wraps his arms around me. I nuzzle my head further into the crook of his warm neck. Lacie looks at me and grins smugly. He smells like body wash. By the time the movie is done Lacie fell asleep on Daniel, we wake her up and Ayden walks me to his parents room.
“You will be sleeping here with me.” He tells me. “Okay.” I respond. I get under the blue bed sheets and stare at the light, then flip over to face him. “Goodnight.” I say. His lips press on to mine and I taste his toothpaste this time, but it still feels sensational. He pulls away and looks at me. I stare at his eyes and he says “Goodnight.” “Your kisses make me feel so - I just can’t explain it, I just love it.” I say.
“I love you.” He answers. He turns around and turns off the light. I lay on my back and repeat those words in my head. I can’t help but smile. I turn around and close my eyes with a smile on my face and drift to sleep.
I wake up and the sun rays shining all around the room. “Good Morning, how are you feeling?” Ayden mumbles. “Morning and good.” I say. He smiles. “I really need to get home soon my mom thinks I’m at Lacie’s house.” I tell him. “Don’t you want to meet my parents since we are together?”
I pause my breathing and stay still. “Um, no sorry I can't I have no time for that, I’m sorry.” I answer nervously. “But they are coming like in a few minutes it won’t even take that long.” He insists. “I’m sorry but my dad want's me home right now, and I can't wait much longer.” I say. “Oh okay sorry, I’ll drive you home, if you want you can leave with my shirt and I’ll tell Lacie you left.” He answers. “Thank you, I give him a kiss on the cheek and we walk to the car.

He drops me off and we kiss before I enter, I introduce him to my parents and he leaves. I walk to my room and drop on top of my bed. My eyes are closing as I stare at the plain light blue wall. “Ayden is such a polite boy.” My mom says. “Yeah he is, I am glad you like him.” I reply. “He’s charming, you should go to sleep now okay?” She tells me. “Okay mom, bye.”
My eyes close and I concentrate on my breathing. Flashbacks of Wyatt shooting people at the party appear in my head. I twist and turn on the bed to make them go away. I picture the blood coming out of peoples wounds, the booming sound of the bullets hitting furniture, and the screeching of people’s screams. Wyatt standing with a sweaty forehead, closing his eyes each time he pulled the trigger. The words “Mia, you will regret that” repeat a million times in my head. I open my eyes and look around, my head rests on my pillow and I fall into a deep sleep.

-------Weeks later-----

I get up from the couch and see its 9:00 am. Today is the day I quit my job, I’m doing this so Aydens family can accept me and won't think I'm a bad example for him. It will be easier since after 3 years they finally changed the boss and he is way nicer. I'm scared because I’ve been in this job for so long and and I'm afraid something can happen to me afterwards. What if someone gets mad I'm allowed to get out of the job but they aren't.
‘Good Morning, Im off to work today is the day I quit, for us.’ I text Ayden. Ayden already knows that I work in the drug dealing business.He has been keeping our relationship a secret from his parents for a really long time. I’m going to quit my job so we can be together, and to be more safe. I will also not be wanted by the cops if I quit, my whole image will change. The phone buzzes. ‘Morning, yes today is the day, don’t worry everything will be alright, and soon you can meet my parents. Gotta go, Love you.’ He replies ‘Thanks, love you more.”’I answer back. I leave the house and walk to my job.

I stop at what looks like an abandoned factory behind the woods, that looks like it has not been used for years. I pull the rusty door handle with black stains on it, it feels like its going to rip off and turn into ashes if I pull it. I walk in and see Wyatt. He stares at me with his green shot eyes and looks away. I pace quickly into the office and see my boss.
“Hey Bill.” I say. “Hello Mia how are you doing today?” He says. “I’m doing good.” I reply. “So whats up?” He asks. “I just wanted to let you know that I am going to quit today because."
He cuts me off
“Okay, Mia no need to explain and no need to lie. It’s fine because no girl your age will work as a drug dispatcher its unsafe for you and you are too young. Im shocked the other boss didn't think about your safety and talk to you about it.” He says. “Thanks for understanding Bill.” “No problem, Mia thanks for working with us, and your last check will be mailed to you.” “Okay Bill, Thank you once again.” He waves at me and I walk out his office.

The huge stacks of drug packages as tall as the ceiling, they remind me of skyscrapers. The smell of drugs so powerful but doesn't bother me because I’m used to it.The speakers squeal and Bill begins to talk. “Everyone say your last goodbyes to our employee Mia she will not be working with us no more.” Bill says through the loudspeaker. Everyone looks at me and waves, and I wave back except for Wyatt. He’s looking at me say my goodbyes to the people and gives a mysterious grin. I feel Wyatt's eyes following me as I walk. I breathe in the air deeply and walk out.
I dial Aydens number and call him. “Hey Ayden, It went so well, I’m free to go and I’m not going to be wanted by the cops anymore!” I say enthusiastically. “Thats so great to hear Mia, do you want me to pick you up?” He says. “Yes please.” I answer. “Okay, I will meet you there and also to celebrate we are going to go to dinner afterwards okay?” He tells me. “Sure, see you soon.” I say. “Bye.” He answers.

I get into the car and give him a kiss. “I’m so happy this nightmare of a job is over, I will begin my new job at that fancy restaurant Uptown next week. I say.
“Yeah they pay really well too, I’m so happy for you now my parents will accept you.” He says.
“Yeah, I forgot to tell you when I was saying bye to everyone Wyatt was looking at me so mysteriously it was so weird.” I say.
“He’s probably mad he still has to work there while you don’t.” He says and laughs.
“True, whatever I don’t need to see him anymore.” I say.
“Yeah.” Ayden answers. The whole drive was pretty quiet with the music low in the background.

We park a block away from Red Lobster because the parking spaces were filled. Me and Ayden hold hands and walk down the block watching the sun set. The sky turning an orange pink color. A little girl in front of us talking to her mom points at the sky with a balloon.
“That little girl is so cute, she reminds me of young me.” I adored balloons alot.” I tell him.
“Aw, nice memories, you were so cute when you were younger.” He says. “Was cute?” I snap,
“I still am cute.” I giggle
. “Yes you are I love you.” He says. I give him a kiss and continue walking.
“Bang, Bang, Bang!”
I turn my head quickly, searching for the source of the loud noise. It's not until a few seconds later that I feel an intense pain shoot through my stomach. I hear screams from the crowd that has now gathered around me. I follow their gaze and center on my stomach.
My hand is resting on my stomach that is now covered in scarlet liquid. The atmosphere around me is revolving. My mouth becomes dry and it becomes hard to breathe. My legs fall weak and I tremble. My body hits the gray concrete, knees hitting the ground first. I glance at the floor, and see my blood streaming through the cracks like a river.
I'm now on the ground, people rushing to my aid. Blood pools around my body quickly and I can't believe my eyes are still wide open.
I've been shot.
My head falls to the side. My vision turns hazy and I see Wyatt grin maliciously.
"You thought you were going to get away with another boy? Never."
Those were the last words I can clearly hear.
Ayden grows smaller and smaller as my eyes flutter.
My vision darkening, my eyes slowly shut. I knew I was dying now. Dying on this cold, hard concrete. I feel Ayden place his hand on my stomach gently. Everything turns pitch black. I take my last breath and whisper,
"I regret it.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.