Escape... From the Plague | Teen Ink

Escape... From the Plague

By Pokelona SILVER, Shoreline, Washington
Pokelona SILVER, Shoreline, Washington

Author's note: My teacher assigned this Historical fiction novella, and I wanted to include a crazy made up twist that was not historic at all, so enjoy.

A long time ago, on an island in the center of the Equator and the Prime Meridian, on an island of legend, Fate and Destiny had two kids, twins in fact. Born on midnight of the New year 1000 AD. And once they were born, Fate and Destiny left to explore the island where God had put them to stay. They found the island full of joy, so they named it Joyous Island. The island was full of caves and temples, and one mountain that sprayed joy from a geyser on top, which they named Mount Joy. But once they left, the Devil came and took hold of their two babies. Looking at them both, he chose which of the souls he would take. He took the soul of the child first born and was about to take the second child's soul, but before he could, God appeared and saved the the other baby from the hands of the Devil. The Devil flew away, frightened by God's sudden and all powerful appearance. God tried to chase down the demon to get the soul back, but He was unable to do so, and decided to give the second child amazing intelligence and strength, so he could study and protect the island when it was his time. Once He did so, He took off.

Soon after the deed was done, Fate and Destiny arrived to check on their kids. They were both sleeping in their cribs, but Fate and Destiny immediately knew what happened. They knew that one of their kids had no soul, but they still loved them both, and did not have the heart to get rid of him, so they left the babies be. They named them Hope and Plague. Hope because he has given them hope to save Plague. And Plague, because he was plagued by the Devil to have no soul.

They each grew up on the island together, and apart. Hope studied the island for rare species of plants and wildlife, while Plague, on the other hand, grew up secretly developing poisons and testing it on different species of animals. Each one had a different effect, but still killing the animal in the end. All together he had created three different potions. One that created swollen buboes, one that caused pneumonia, and one that went right into the blood stream and killed the animals in hours. Each caused the troubled Plague a little joy in watching the animals die. His parents were terrified when he came home with a devilish grin on his face, but said nothing.

Each month, Destiny and Fate brought them to the top of Mount Joy, that blew joy towards China and then towards Europe, and then on to the rest of the world. The mountain brought Destiny, Fate, and Hope joy, but strangely, it made Plague angry. He thought when comes joy comes life. He didn't like life. He enjoyed watching animals suffer in pain and death. In the year 1310, Plague plotted to bring his poisons with him to the top of the mountain in thirty years when his poisons were perfected. He knew that when he perfected the poisons, and them put into the geyser at the top of the mountain, it would release a toxic gas that would spread his poisons through microscopic particles that could attach themselves to fleas and flow through the air. That would bring him joy. Hope found out his wicked brother's plan and knew a plant that would counteract the poison when eaten, he called it the Curia flower. The leaves were for preventing, the center of the flower was for curing, and the petals of the flower made it so the leaves and center would taste good. He made his family a salad using the parts of the curia flower and other various plants from the island that he collected on his studies that enhanced health. Destiny and Fate enjoyed having a nice meal and complemented Hope on his kindness and skill. But the meal only made Plague angry and jealous.

On New Years Day of the year 1340, Destiny and Fate took Hope and Plague to the top of the Mountain to enjoy another year. Once they made it to the top of the mountain, they all sat down to rest on a special rock by the geyser, except Plague. He stood up, in front of his parents and walked up to the geyser.

He announced that “Today will be the end of this Joyful Geyser and the beginning of an era of suffering and death.” He reached into his bag and pulled out three vials, each a different shade of black. “Once I pour these vials into the geyser, the plague will spread throughout the world and the Devil will have his souls to himself, and maybe then he would accept me to rule the underworld with him. And might I just add that what good is joy without suffering?” He laughed to himself. As he opened up the vials, Hope tried to stop him, but it was too late. He poured the poisons into the geyser. Immediately it started to spew a black cloud of toxic. “Witness your own demise, Fate, Destiny, and Hope! You will all perish!” Howled Plague.

“That's what you think Plague! That salad that we ate a while ago had the cure for your poison in it! We are safe! You will not destroy us with your poison!” Called out Hope. “How could you even try to do this to your own family, and the world? What have we or them ever done to you?”

“Do you see how Fate and Destiny look at me? They know that I am evil! They know, and you know. All this time, you have been their favorite, the one with the soul, making them food, making them happy. They hate me!” Shouted Plague.

“No, we don't Plague, we love you. That is why-” said Destiny softly.

“SILENCE!” Commanded Plague. “I summon forth the power of the Devil to protect me!”

Instantly, a flame lit up in front of Plague, and in a moment, as the flames died down, the Devil appeared.

“You have done the first step well, now, you must protect what you have created! Do not fail me!” Hissed the Devil to Plague.

And, with a roar of thunder, and a flash of lightning storming from the Heavens, God himself appeared and floated over to Hope.

“I beg of you, Hope. I cannot stop him now. I will only make things worse. But you can stop this. Put this star key into it's place at the side of the geyser. It will destroy the poison, and I will bring you all to safety.” In God's almighty hands, a beautiful and large star shaped diamond appeared and sparkled in Hope's eyes. Hope took the key from his hands.

“My dear Hope, because of your ability to take this responsibility over your brother, I give you the ability to command all the good on this island to do your bidding, good luck, an no matter what happens, I will be with you.”

At the same time, the Devil was speaking with Plague, “I knew from the beginning that you would be the right choice. That is why I chose you over your brother. You have done well. I will now give you power to control all the evil on this island.”

Simultaneously, God and the Devil gave them abilities to do as they were told, and God took Fate and Destiny, to protect them from the upcoming battle.

“I will stop you Plague! You will not kill the world with your toxin! If you stop, I will do what you ask of me. If you don't, it will be your demise!” Commanded Hope. He used his ability to trap Plague in a stone dome formed from the ground beneath his feet.

“That's what you think! I will never give in. In fact...” Hissed Plague. He broke the dome with his bare hands and stomped his feet, which made the mountain tremble. Hope tried to put the Star key onto it's holder, but Plague kicked the Star key out of his hand and created big boulders to destroy the once safe path to the top of the mountain, replacing it with jagged terrain and sharp points on the mountain. Hope fought back with a splash of water, momentarily blinding Plague as he tried to push him off the mountain. But, he reconciled with himself and remembered that Plague was his brother, and he could not bring himself to killing his brother, just like his parents, no matter how evil he may be. Hope stopped, which gave Plague enough time to see again. He immediately knocked Hope unconscious with a boulder to his head and pushed him off the mountain.

As Hope was unconscious, Plague took the star shaped key from the ground and took it to the Temple of Sacrifice where he locked it in a chamber that could only be opened by the sacrifice of eight lives. Then he flew back to where Hope lay unconscious and stood over him and said to him,

“You will never be able to put the Star key in to stop the poison. I also curse you with taking away your power and feeding myself with more, turning the island evil. I am turning you into a bird, where you will spend your days flying above, waiting for no one to come. You are lucky I don't kill you.” As he spoke Hope got smaller and smaller. White feathers grew from his arms. He awoke with a jolt because the transformation was unbearably painful. As his feet turned into claws, he screamed in agony. Feathers started to grow on his face, and as his lips turned harder, forming a beak. It was too much to bear, he tried to say stop, but at this point, all that came out was a small chirp. The slow and agonizing process was done. Hope was transformed into a dove. His only chance at being in human form was for somebody to come... somehow.

Katherine had a dream, a horrible nightmare. A dark shadow swept across the town. People screamed in pain, and died, turning black and bloody. Horrible swells formed on their body. Darkness and fear wherever it flows, like Death itself. Soon the dark shadow reached her house, her family scared for their lives, huddled close in a corner. The shadow entered the house, and creeped towards them, closer and closer, darkness enclosing them, screams come from outside, and then... she woke up.

Today was Christmas of 1345. She had to get ready. She dressed in her nicest gown. It was red with golden patterns stitched in with long angel sleeves and a high collar. But before she put on her gown, she put on her stockings, then her silk undergarments, then her kirtle, and finally her elegant gown. Then she looked into her mirror and examined her hair. It was a mess. She called for her maid, Cassandra to dress up her hair.

“Oh, my precious little girl, you look great in that dress, but your hair is a complete disaster, here, let me darling,” said Cassandra. She took her long, shining brown hair and brushed it out. Then she split her hair into separate parts. She turned the parts on the outer ends of the hair into braids. Then she twisted and shaped the rest of the hair to form a complicated design.

Katherine looked into the mirror, “Oh, Cassandra, you always know how I like my hair!” Katherine exclaimed

“Oh, it's nothing dear. I would do anything for you. Come come, your family is waiting,” said Cassandra. “I will make a wonderful feast with Joseph when we get back.”

“Thank you so much. You are always there for me. I don't know what I'd do you without you! I can't wait for you and the Smith's servant to make the best food in the world,” thanked Katherine.

Katherine walked with Cassandra out of her room, down the hall, down the stairs, and into the living room to greet her family.

“You look great sweetheart,” exclaimed her father Stewart.

“About as great as dirt!” Teased her twin brothers George and Jeffrey.

“Would you stop that boys. Never mind them sweetie, you look amazing,” said Cassandra once more.

“We'll first go to over to the Smiths' home and walk with them over to church,” said Stewart.

“That would be grand father. I could finally see Alison again. It has been so long,” Katherine sighed.

“You saw her just a few days ago!” Said Jeffrey.

“Like you mind. I know you like her,” teased Katherine.

“Do not!” Said Jeffrey.

“Would you stop fighting! Keep this up and it will take a year to get to church, now come on!” Yelled Stewart.

So the quarreling between Katherine and Jeffrey stopped in an instant and they all made their way to the Smith's manor, with George and Jeffrey running ahead to catch William.

“Welcome, my friends! Come in for a spell while we wait for Robin,” said Lance Smith. We all sat down on their luxury bear pelt couch and waited.

“Hi Katherine,” said Alison.

“Hi Alison, it is nice to see you again,” said Katherine. “When did you get this nice rug? It almost looks like my dress!”

“We got this just yesterday from a fine rug vendor,” Lance said.

“Here comes Robin!” Said William as he glanced out the window.

As Robin entered the door, he was nearly knocked over as George, Jeffrey, and William all ran across the door way. “Hello my friends, and hello to you my sweet Katherine, I brought you a rose, but no other name but Katherine smells so sweet, so instead of a rose, I give to you a katherine, Katherine.”

“Oh, Robin, thank you.” Katherine replied. “Dear father, when is it that we are to be married?”

“Oh, my, the wedding... I nearly forgot! Let us have it this 'Wed'nesday. I will confront the priest today after the mass, my dear.” Said Stewart Carter.
“Sounds good to me Mr. Carter. I cannot wait” said Robin. So everybody headed off together to Religrom church.

Church went on like any other one, with opening hymn, prayers and such, and a warm wish for a Merry Christmas. But, just as we were going to sing our ending song, a horribly ugly and old man burst through the doors.

“The end is coming! I fear death will consume us all, like a shadow covering the entire world!” He screamed. Just as he finished wailing, he collapsed, shaking. Katherine gasped at the word shadow, referring to her horrible nightmares.

“Oh my, someone, help me aid this poor soul!” Wailed the priest. Mrs. Jones ran up and helped the priest carry the man into a holy chamber where the priest tried to expel demons from his soul using chanting and incense. The priest came out and released everybody from mass and reminded us to pray for the sick, and just as he was going back in to the chamber, Stewart Carter ran up to him.

“I was just wondering if I could arrange a marriage this Wednesday for a Miss Katherine Carter, my daughter, and a Mr. Robin Smith, the son of my friend, Mr. Lance Smith.” Asked Stewart.

“Oh, well sure. How about at three o'clock in the afternoon?” Said the Priest.

“That would be just great.” Replied Stewart. “See you then.” Stewart told Kathrine and Robin the plans and they both gathered at the Carters' home for the Christmas feast.

“My, isn't this food wonderful!” Complemented Mr. Smith.

“Indeed, only the best for my friends!” Boasted Mr. Carter.

“What about what that man who interrupted the church, are we going to flee?” Asked Katherine.

“For all we know, he is a crazy man, but if such a time comes, our old Blysse will be ready,” replied Stewart. “We know the drill.”

Katherine had another nightmare. The shadow returned erupting from the crazy man from church, consuming everybody, starting with the priest, then Mrs. Jones, and their friends and neighbors. Only her family and the Smiths escaped by fleeing to the boat and made it to the sea. They thought they had escaped the shadow, but darkness still consumed them on the ship. he fought us in a different way, through endless days at sea. Everything was disappearing, and darkness grew, a dark cloud on the sea appeared in the distance, and before she had a clear view of what it was, she awoke.

Once everybody was all set up and situated, eating breakfast at the table, and George and Jeffrey throwing food, as usual.

“How is everybody this fair morning,” asked Stewart.

“We are fine father. George, Jeffrey, please stop throwing food!” Pleaded Katherine.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Katherine's father answered.

“Hello their Mr. Carter. I have news,” said Mr. Jones, Mrs. Jones's husband, sounding quite upset, “the man who interrupted church has passed away, but my wife and the Priest has caught his illness. Doctors and neighbors from other towns have come to help them because it seems quite serious. Please prepare. I am spreading the news. Farewell, Mr. Carter.” Mr. Jones left.

“Well that was depressing news. Family, we should pack our ship in case of an emergency, so we can escape.” They all walked to the market place.

At the market place, they looked for food that would last being out at sea. They found some animal feed, plenty of fruits and vegetables, barrels of water, and barrels of wine. Stewart believed that this would be sufficient to supply them for a few months when you add in the cows and pigs that they had. Once everything was purchased, they headed to their boat.

“Father, I think the food should go over here,” said Katherine, lugging a bag of animal feed down to the lower deck.

“Yes, exactly what I was thinking,” said Stewart Carter rolling a barrel of wine down the stairs.

“Come on Jeffrey! Push!” Commanded George. “Wait, I see William!” The Smiths all came marching to the boat with more food and water and wine.

“I do not think you have enough for the rest of us too. I believe we were forgotten. We hurried here as soon as we received word from Mr. Jones hoping to help you supply the boat,” said Mr. Smith.

“There is much more food on the lower level. I could never forget about the extended branch of my beloved family. But thank you for more food. I hope we enjoy our time out at sea,” said Mr. Carter.

“Hello, my dear. Merry Monday to you.” Lance said as he walked towards Katherine.

“Hello Robin. Merry Monday to you too,” said Katherine.

“What about me?” Asked William, stumbling over to them.

“I could never forget about you! How about you pack in this bag of food to the lower deck?” Asked Katherine.

“I shall do it!” Said William, grabbing the bag and running to the boat.

“Well, the boat looks all packed, besides the animals, lets go home,” said Mr. Carter.

“Us too children!” Said Mr. Smith. And they all went home for a good night sleep.

In the morning, there was a loud and rushed knock on the door. Mr. Carter was awakened by Cassandra to answer it.

“We must go, quickly! The disease is spreading, and people are dying! Let us bring our animals to the boat and go before we catch the illness to! This is an apocalypse!” shouted Mr. Smith.

“Don't be crazy it cannot be that-.” Mr. Carter paused as he looked out the door, a few dead people lay on the street and people running frantically to run away from the sick, who were walking like the living dead.

Katherine, George, and Jeffrey all rushed outside to see what their father saw. And what we saw was horrific. People were swollen and sickening. “You are right my friend. Let's all go before any of our loved ones catch this dreaded disease! Lets pack our finest animals and leave.” said Stewart.

Soon we all have everything we need on our ship, the Blysse, named after Katherine's mother, and we set out to sea.

Katherine had another nightmare. Out at sea, she thought her family were safe. Suddenly the whole sky went black and the shadow tormented her family with misfortune and suffering. Nobody could see the shadow but her. Everything was chaos, and then... she woke up.

It is a hard time out at sea. It is very easy to get seasick, of course, everybody already mostly got the hang of it. Our water supply is going low and so far we are no where close to land. We are down to our last fat pig and the meat from the dead animals is going old. All we can do now is hope for the best.

“Sweetheart, you look thirsty! Have a drink!” Said Cassandra.

“It's okay. I can go on.” Said Katherine.

“Cassandra is right, you should have a drink, you look pale!” said Stewart.

“I told you, I am fine.” insisted Katherine.

“Daddy, we are hungry and thirsty too! Let's eat!” Said George and Jeffrey simultaneously.

“Not right now kids. Hey Lance, what about William and Alison, they look hungry too.” said Stewart.

“Oh, they will be fine... Oh no.” Lance said as he watched our fat pig we all named Bessie fall over onto her side. “Our last living piece of meat! Now what will we do!”

“How about we cut her up and soak her in salt water in some barrels. I have been investigating with a few left over pieces of meat and it preserves them nicely.” Katherine chimed.

“Good idea my girl! Then the meat will last longer.” Said Stewart.

“Yes, great idea Katherine.” Said Alison

“What a mind you have. I am so glad... wait, we wont be able to marry!” Robin said.

“It's okay, with everything that has been going on, I'm sure the lord would already consider us wed.” Katherine said.

Soon Cassandra and Joseph had the pig all cut up and put in barrels with salt water.

“Well, at least we won't have to feed or clean up after it any longer.” Said Jeffery.

“Yeah, but that pig was fun to ride.” Said William.

“Thats probably why it died,” teased Alison.

Two more months did that pig supply us, but now we are on out on our last limb. The barrels are dry and we are now feasting on left over pig food. William also doesn't look very good. He seems sick.

“Thank God that we have made it this long. Lets hope God will bless us with land. How about we come together and pray to our Lord.” Said Cassandra.

“Good idea. That should convince God to save us.” Said Lance. Soon they were all gathered in a circle, with William lying on Robin's lap.

“Dear God, Heavenly King, Almighty God and Father, please hear our humble prayer.” Starts Stewart.

“We would like to thank you for all you have done to keep us sustained for this long and letting our ship survive this long out in the sea.” prayed Lance.

“Woe has now befallen us with little William ill, we wish you, with haste, for us to find land so that we may tend to William.” prayed Katherine.

“And if it isn't to much, make it snappy because me and Jeffrey are hungry!” said George.

“You boys be respectful. If we make God upset, it will take forever to get to land,” worried Stewart.

“Don't worry father, we have been fully faithful in our Lord, he shall come through. Please Lord, accept our thanks and grant our prayer.” prayed Katherine.

“Amen.” Said everybody at the same time.

Many hours passed as everyone waited patiently for land to come. Suddenly the clouds made a hole in the sky for sunlight to shine through onto the ship. Then, a burst of wind blew our ship faster than it had ever gone before, so fast that everyone fell back and held on. Once the wind calmed down, everybody looked up and saw the most glorious thing that they had ever laid their eyes on for many months... Land.

Everyone was so relieved. The gracious sight of land made everyone cry out for joy. They all cheered and prayed and thanked the Lord. Suddenly a big white dove swooped down and almost ran into our sail and flew back to the island.

“Oh, a dove, the sign of peace and hope. What a glorious, blessed day!” cried Cassandra.

Soon we all reached the island. Robin carrying William on his back, crossing on to the sandy beaches. Suddenly a man, wearing a robe made out of leaves, appears out of the forest beyond the beach.

“Quickly, eat the flowers, especially that little boy!” cried the mysterious man. Nobody wanted to argue when they hadn't had anything to eat for a few days, and the flowers tasted good.

“Thank you for coming, this is my home, let me bring you to more food. My name is Hope, by the way.” Hope said.

We all walked through the woods with Hope. He was about as tall as Katherine's father, pretty skinny, although not too thin. He had blue eyes and short, strait, light brown hair and looked younger than Lance, who was a little worn of age. As they walked through the forest, William became better. He jumped out of Robin's arms and started running with George and Jeffrey.

“What were those flowers you gave us.” asked Katherine.

“This island is full of a disease called the Plague. There are three different types. I instantly diagnosed him with pneumonic plague. But with the curia flower, it cures and prevents all types of the plague.” Said Hope.

“That's amazing!” Katherine smiled, which caused Robin to have a twinge of jealousy. Suddenly, Katherine was inspired to explore the trees and wild plant life. With the help of Hope, Katherine learned all about the forest.

“Here we are!” Hope exclaimed. They all looked around. There were large huts made of straw and leaves.

“Not what we are used to, but it will do.” Lance said. “Am I right Stewart?”

“Now Lance, it is a miracle that we are even here. I am just grateful that we are off that boat right now.” said Stewart.

Everybody settled in to the cabins and got all cozy.

“Are you sure you don't need any help dear? Me and Joseph would be glad to lend a hand!” said Cassandra

“It is fine. I have already made it. Roasted squill with Curia flower salad.” Said Hope.

“What is a squill?” asked William.

“It is an animal that likes to run around and dig and looks like this.” Hope said, showing William the roasted squill.

After everyone was good and fed, and Hope gained a round of applause and thanks, everyone was off to bed.

“I have something to show you all tomorrow.” said Hope. “Good night.”

Once asleep, Katherine was tormented once again by a nightmare. The room became empty, everyone suddenly vanished. The room filled with smoke, blocking off all source of light. Then the shadow appeared. With a sudden increase of smoke, she finds herself on top of a mountain facing the shadow. It hissed like a snake, “You don't even know who you are! You can never defeat me! Muahaha.”

He suddenly moved back and prepared to strike. A hole appeared through the smoke and light cast down to reveal the glimmer of a golden sword. Katherine struggled to get up and frantically grasped for the sword. Once she grabbed hold of the sword, a blinding light surrounded her and the next thing she knew, she was awake.

Everybody woke to the shine of the sun, and Hope was waiting with a big bowl of native fruits.

“Hello everybody, eat up because we are going for a hike.” Hope exclaimed.

Out walking is a tough task, especially when the road is very bumpy. George, Jeffrey, and William all fell one time or another. And finally, we saw, what Hope called, the Cave of Prophecy.

“This place is amazing and colorful! What does it mean?” Cassandra asked, trying to catch her breath.

“Here, let me interpret;
Once upon a mountain's top
A Plague vowed to never stop.
The winding rode that rose so high
Gave even Death a sigh.
Never stopped, never challenged,
Soon all became unbalanced.
The key to stop
Was locked away
In a cave that causes dismay.
In order to unlock the key to the end,
The souls of eight
Will meet their fate,
But the Dreamer of Shadows
Will be the one,
to stop the Plague
And to have the damage be undone.

“Can I speak to Hope in private please?” Katherine whispered.

“Sure honey, we will be waiting outside,” Mr. Carter said. Everybody then went outside, but Alison stayed at the end of the cave to overhear Katherine's conversation with Hope.

“Hope, I think I am the Dreamer of Shadows. Ever since I was ten, I had horrible nightmares of a shadow that destroyed everything beneath it.” Katherine trembled at the memories of the haunting dreams.

“Really?” Hope didn't look very shocked. “I thought it would be you. I don't really sleep that much and I see you toss and turn around a lot in your dreams.”

“What happens now?” Katherine asked.

The words that Hope said next caught her attention. “You train.”

Katherine had another dream. Her family was led by a strange light to a dark cave shrouded with mist. They were all told to stand on eight different panels arranged on the floor. One by one they were each shrouded by a shadow, and once the shadow disappears, so does that member. And once they are all gone... She wakes up.

Hope takes Katherine out into the forest to train, giving her a strong, strait, and smooth stick to practice with.

“Here I have prepared a series of tasks to prepare you for whatever Plague has in store for you.” Hope said.

“Wait... Who is Plague?” Katherine asked.

“Plague is the creator of the plague and was possessed by the Devil himself to protect the plague. He is probably at the top of the mountain right now, resting,” Hope replied.

“Wow, how am I supposed to defeat him, then?” Katherine asked.

“By training.” Hope replied again. “ Here I have jumps set up in case he sends shock-waves through the ground, and here I have set up sling shots to sling these harmless balls of mud at you to practice dodging skills, and I have set up various dummies in random places around this training area to get your fighting and multitasking skills prepared as well.”

Katherine hoped, slashed, and dodged her way through the entire field, with stumbling and slight spatters of mud on her clothes. Each time Katherine went through the entire course without flaw, he increased the difficulty until there was nothing left that she could not do.

“Since you now have this all down, maybe it is time to move on to training with the real deal.” Said Hope.

“What do you mean?” Katherine asked.

“Plague has minions placed around the island of five different types. Each of which have three different stages. The easiest minions are placed around the island at various locations. The only reason you haven't seen any is because of this formula I made up that repels the monsters away. The five types of monsters are plant, earth, water, fire, and air. The air monsters are more like tornados that pick up dirt with their swirling and are mainly found on the more dusty areas. The plant monsters are trees that whip and tangle you up with their vines. The water monsters are like watery snakes that mainly squirt water at you. The fire monsters you should watch out for, they like to burn everything they see. And finally earth monsters. They basically throw balls of dirt at you. Got it?” Hope explained.

“I think so.” Katherine replied, a little shaky.

Katherine battled those monsters with very few casualties at first and then none later on, even as she went to the harder ones closer to the mountain.

“Katherine, you've done well and deserve a nice long rest.” Hope said, sensing that Katherine was exhausted.

As soon as Katherine was snug in bed, Hope dowsed her with potent sleeping powder that let her sleep for a full Twenty-four hours or more. And then went to the rest of the family to talk to them.

“You all know what you must do. The time is near for her to battle Plague and I need all of you to unlock the key.”

“Yes, we know, and we have all agreed. But how are you going to break it to poor Katherine? She would be heartbroken.” Mr. Carter said worriedly.

“That is why I haven't told her yet. I am worried too, but I am sure the Lord will let you speak to her when she arrives at the temple.” Hope said. “Lets go now.”

They walked a great distance to the foot of the mountain where the cave of Sacrifice was. As they walked inside, Hope told them where to stand, in places set around the chamber holding the Star Key. Once everybody was on their spot, they closed their eyes, and fell to their fate, where a messenger from heaven was sent to lead them all to heaven for their great deed. Once everything was done, the chamber slowly opened to reveal the large Star Key shining brightly through the darkness of the cave. All was done. Hope heaved the large diamond to the hut where Katherine slept, worrying about what to come.

Katherine had a long dream. She journeyed through a great cloud of despair. She felt the death of everybody she ever loved and wept. Suddenly the light that showed her family their death led her to a sacred temple where she saw everybody and she was given gifts, but as she was about to see the gifts... she woke up.

Immediately after she woke up, she looked around to find Plague, and to her despair, she could not find anybody. She knew the worst, they were all dead. But just as she was about to collapse onto the dirt, Hope arrived, holding a large star shaped diamond.

“You are awake.” Hope said.

“Where are they?” Katherine shouted with a shaky voice, “They are dead, aren't they.”

“Yes, as the prophecy stated.” Hope inquired.

Katherine ran back to her room and dropped to her knees and wept. Anger and horror rushed through her body. Nothing now could make her happy.

“ Katherine, I am sorry, but this is fate. This is Destiny.”

“You are not sorry! Don't lie!” Cried Katherine.

“I truly am. But this was the only way.” Hope tried.

“Really? Then why aren't you dead? Why couldn't you leave me one?” Katherine shouted.

“Because I am immortal, like my brother.” Hope said.

“Woah... wait... Plague is your brother?” Katherine asked, feeling a little better that she didn't have a demon as a brother.

“Yes, we are twins. The Devil chose him to possess. I will give you today to mourn for the lost, but tomorrow, I must take you to the Temple of God.”

“Alright. At least I have today, but why didn't you tell me about this before?” Katherine asked.

“Because I thought you would give up.” Hope replied.

Throughout the day and through the night, Katherine wept. But inside of her, she could feel her family pushing her to go on, and the next day, with the tears dried upon her face, she left with Hope to the Temple Of God.

They hiked a distance through a land of ruins. Hope told Katherine that this what a place where Plague destroyed, but he could not lay a spell upon the holy Temple of God. And as they approached, the temple looked as if it was made out of solid gold. Inside sat a statue of God, holding out it's hand, and in it's hand was a placeholder for the star. Hope, who carried the Star Key all this way, placed it in his hand. And in an instant, a bright light flashed and she saw God himself in human form.

“Oh, great Katherine, you have been through a time of great sorrow. I will grant you one wish before you fight the evil Plague.” Almighty God spoke.

“I wish to see my family.” Katherine said.

“I knew you would say that.” God exclaimed.

First to come was Alison. “Katherine, you have been my friend for as long as I can remember. I wish you luck and glory on your quest to destroy the Plague. I will forever be by your side.”

“I miss you Alison!” Katherine cried. And Alison vanished and Robin appeared.

“My dear wife, you are so brave and strong. I have full faith in you. Have faith in yourself and you will succeed. I will be with you always.”

“I love you Robin!” Katherine cried. And Robin vanished and George and Jeffrey appeared.

“You were a great sister and we apologize for insulting you all these years. I hope you defeat the bad guy!” They both said.

“I am sorry too!” Katherine said. And George and Jeffrey vanished and Cassandra appeared.

“You were a great lady and I loved serving you all these years. I know you will live on.”

“I you will live on forever too.” Katherine sobbed. And Cassandra vanished and William appeared.

“You were as good of a sister to me as Alison was. I hope you win, for the good of mankind.”

“I miss you William!” Katherine shouted. William vanished and Lance appeared.

“You were strange to me, in a good way. You reminded me of myself when I was your age. Good luck.”

“You too.” Katherine said. And Lance disappeared and her father appeared.

“You were the best and only daughter I have ever had. I am sorry for all the times I was hard on you for being different. Now I realize that it was a good thing. I love you.”

“I love you too dad.” And Stewart vanished... and Katherine's mother appeared.

“Mother!” Katherine exclaimed.

“Oh, Katherine. I am so sorry for leaving you so young. I miss the times we had together. I wish we could have been together more. I have and will be watching you, and fighting by your side until the battle is won. I love you.” Blysse said.

“I love you too mom.” Katherine cried. And with a flash, God was back.

“I am glad you loved seeing them again. It proves how pure a heart you have and how worthy you are of these gifts.” God said. “First gift is a ring, the ring of souls.” and in his hands appeared a golden ring with a shining blue diamond, “In this ring lies the souls of your family and ancestors, so that they may protect you and give you power. Next is a sword, the sword of strength.” and in his hands appeared a beautifully engraved golden sword. “and your shield.” He took the star key from the statue and it transformed into a shield. “This shield will not break and will turn back to a key when it needs to be... and finally, I will give you powers to match Plague's.” Golden dust sprinkled down from the heavens and gave Katherine power.

“Thank you God.” Katherine said. And he vanished.

“You should rest. Tomorrow is the day.” Hope said.

Katherine did not dream that night. Not about anything. It was blank. It scared Katherine more than having one.

“Hope, I did not dream.” Katherine said as she ate.

“I wonder why.” Hope said, but in his mind he knew that was because this was something that did not have a definite outcome.

After lunch, Katherine dressed in her heroic attire and had to climb up the mountain since there was no path up the mountain. Hope stayed behind.

Halfway up the mountain, Katherine grew tired and found a nice place to rest. But once she sat down, the ground beneath her started to shake. She held on to a piece of rock firmly held against the mountain.

“Muahaha, finally, the hero comes! Once I defeat you, the Plague will ruin the world! And the Devil shall eat all the souls that Heaven can't hold. And I will rule the new dark Earth.” Plague proclaimed wearing a dark cloak with red accents.

“No, you are wrong! Today is the day that I defeat you and end the Plague, once and for all!” Katherine proclaimed.

“Good luck getting up the mountain!” Plague laughed. And with a snap of his fingers the mountain quaked and roared. Katherine used her shield to protect herself from getting hit by a falling boulder. Once the shaking stopped, Katherine continued the climb. No matter how much her arms ached in pain, She climbed on, the ring of souls guiding her and helping her hold on, giving her strength, and finally, she reached the top, and with one final breath, she stood facing Plague.

“So, you are stronger than I thought. Well, that will just make me try harder!” Plague shouted.

Plague summoned some of his strongest monsters to fight. And one by one, the fell to the feet of Katherine.

“Fight me!” Katherine shouted.

“If you insist.” Plague laughed. He used the elements of the fallen monsters to build himself protective armor.

“You coward!” Katherine shouted. For the part of his suit made of fire, she cast water upon it. The part of his suit made of earth, she threw water at that too and it fell away. The part of his suit made of trees, she burned it, and without the other elements, the water fell away.

“My turn.” Plague conjured fire and blew it at Katherine causing her glove to burn. By instinct she threw it off. Plague threw balls of ice at her which froze her foot to freeze attached to the ground, and with one foot trapped, he easily concealed her other foot in stone, and then transformed the ice on her other foot to stone.

“I will turn you into a statue so God can look down upon his failure.” Plague said. And before she could make a move, he trapped her hands in stone so she couldn't cast a spell, and started to transform her body to stone.

Hope watched helplessly as Katherine was paralyzed, but God reminded him of a curse Plague put on him of his dove form. Quicker now, Hope transformed into a dove and flew with might to Plague. He landed on his head and began to suck back his power through his claws, and Katherine's statue transformation was suspended, and Katherine turned back to normal.

“Hope!” Katherine yelled. She watched as Plague tossed about trying to shake Hope off his head. Suddenly he conjured a great stone and dropped it on his head, but just in time, Hope flew off, leaving Plague unconscious.

“Quickly, before he wakes up, put the star in the stone!” Hope instructed.

Katherine brought her shield up to the geyser in which the plague came out of. She kneeled in front of the placeholder and her shield turned back into the star Key.

“No!” Plague said as he regained consciousness, but it was too late for him, Katherine already put the Star Key into the placeholder, and the island started to quake and sink into the ocean. A crack opened up beneath Plague as he was dragged down to hell, and an angel came to carry Hope and Katherine up to heaven.

The plague ended in 1350, with a few casualties afterwards. People began to live their lives in happiness as the renaissance period started. Nobody knew the heroics of Katherine, but she doesn't care, as long as the world prospers. She is now happily residing in Heaven with her dear family, living happily ever after. Amen.