Death Pact | Teen Ink

Death Pact

By None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

"Believe in the ideal, not the idol." - Serra

Summary:

Riku Alcastar had no idea how he died. It all happened in a flash, the creature, the pain, and then nothing. So, with the injustice of his death clearly in mind, he makes a contract with the Hands of Death. And thus the journey to reclaim his old life begins.

Alice had always hated her life. Everyone always mocking her, no one ever understanding her pain. Finally, she decided to run away from it all, and thus death claimed her. But, when she wakes up in a cemetery with a wraith that claims she is his partner, Alice is unwillingly dragged into a world of impending darkness.

None0

Death Pact

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

Okay, I just have to comment on this point. My chronic use of "..." in dialogue is because of Test of Metal, in the scene where Tezzeret is running away from the magma scorpions with Doctor Jest. He's really out of breath from the running and the author uses "..." after every few words to show just all of the pausing in his speech. I just thought that was an ingenius use of ellipses, so I'm kind of copying him to an extent.

LaChouette GOLD, Mount Vernon, New York

“And then there are the times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.”
- George Carlin

Hm, this is an interesting story. I like the idea of expecting to feel pain, but it's not really there. I think maybe you could limit the use of ellipses; it doesn't seem necessary in some parts, but if you prefer them there, that's perfectly fine. It's your work. Other than that, I liked it and I think i'll read the second chapter too because I'm curious about what happens next. Good Job!

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

There's generally a lot of setup in my stories, especially in the beginning. I need to introduce world mechanics, entity abilities (wraith, vampire, etc), locations, and character relations (this takes a long time) before I can thoroughly spam actions scenes.

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

Yeah, I'm pretty bad with emotion. I just can't tell what my characters are supposed to be feeling.   Although Riku's reaction was on purpose. He's ultra-paranoid (I make this more apparent in later chapters) and expects to die at any moment of his life, so he's not really surprised when he dies, but he is a little disappointed because he died early.   I really have to work on Alice. All of her scenes just seem lacking whenever I read over them. She's one of those "normal" characters that I have no idea what to do with.

GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

I found this a very interesting read, enough so to continue reading past the first chapter like I originaly planned.  It is a very neat idea and I like the originality of it.   I feel the emotion was lacking in scenes that should've had some. For example, when Riku first died he was just seemed at little bumbed out .  "Alice", when she turned, also seemed to lack a bit of the emotion that most people would've been going through. *shrugs* But that is just me. Over all it is a very neat story that I'd gladly pick up and read.  5 stars. :)

vegetariangirl, Hamilton, Ohio

Being normal is boring - Marilyn Monroe
You only live once -?
A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit -Richard Bach

I read the first part, it's very creative and awesome, but there were a few parts where I got bored with the story.

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

I don't really get what the whole tone thing is about. If you're talking about the characters, Riku is a relatively apathetic character (as in, he doesn't really care what happens as long as he comes back to life), and Alice has no idea what's happening half the time. Eron is more or less the same as Riku, since he's used to being near-invincible.   I'm also pretty bad with emotional scenes, so I like to keep my story logical instead of reflecting on feelings all the time.

Carly_Elizabeth PLATINUM, Othello, Washington

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
Roald Dahl

I absolutely loved this! It's really original and very interesting. You have a vast vocabulary. And I really enjoyed reading it. If I were to give a little critism I would say that there wasnt really any tone to the story. But other than that it was amazing. Keep writing!

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

I purposefully didn't include what Alice (not her real name) looked like before she became a vampire so I could have a nice semi-reunion scene at the end (won't go into too much detail because of the potential spoiler).   Riku's description is somewhere in the Third Flight chapter. He's always wearing a hooded cloak before then, so Alice never gets a good look at him. Although I feel like I didn't describe him very well (Riku has a very "normal" appearance, despite being a wraith).

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Wow, what an interesting concept. I'll try to read more later. (Reminding self: end of p2) Just a little constructive critism, I think you should add a bit more of what the characters look like in greater detail--Like what did Alice look like before she became a vampire? Just a thought. She knows but we the readers do not.

None0 BRONZE said...
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

Spoiler alert: it ends with a cliffhanger (and probably always will until I finish it).

RoyalCorona SILVER, Grand Rapids, Michigan

All of us fave failed to match our dream of perfection. I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible. -William Faulkner

It is so great so far!! I am hooked and I am only stopping so I can write this! Great job!

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Well, I think it was beautiful, regardless of the emotion bit. No problem, and good luck with the remaining chapters! I'll definitely be reading the next ones since you have me hooked. :D Have a nice day!

None0 BRONZE said...
on May. 2 2013 at 12:50 am
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

Long comments are fine. I write them all the time. As you can probably tell, I'm not very good with emotional scenes, which is partly why it takes so long to write this book. Thanks for the crying clarification; I'll try to edit that on my version. I did try to show that Riku is gradually warming up to Alice, but he's not quite there yet, since he's not the type of character to trust someone within a few hours of meeting them. Maybe they'll get along better in Italy...   Anyways, thank you for the feedback!

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

I finished reading this and it was AMAZING! You have a knack for words. The only criticisms I have are extremely minor and barely worth mentioning as they do not affect your overall novel. In the scene where Alice is committing suicide, she's sniffling and tears are cascading down. However, a girl does not delicately cry unless she's an actress. (Note: not for the faint of heart) In reality, her cries will most likely include a severely runny nose and loud sobs. Also, Riku is naturally apathetic; however, to make him click with the readers, he probably should show just a hint of emotion and then quickly mask it (which could be noted by Alice in her thoughts). You want your readers to root for not just Alice, but Riku, too. After all, he is the one fighting for right now. Otherwise, beautiful job (sorry about the long comment)!

None0 BRONZE said...
on May. 1 2013 at 12:20 am
None0 BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

Thank you for the kind words. I'm very glad you liked so much of this book. I found it much harder to write than my other books, due to the massive number of character interactions and emotional scenes (had to be very careful not to screw up on those), and proofreading through them takes forever. Anyways, glad you like this book; I'll be sure to update when I can.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey there, None0! Your work is very, very impressive! You have so much talent that you so clearly show in your work. At the rate you are going right now you will have books on the shelves that everyone, including myself, would love to and will be purchasing. I love the title, it's very mysetrious and sets up an open perspective for the reader, the book could go so many ways. And it is very appealing to readers. The summary and tags also caught my attention very easily. You have a way with words like no other. I love the characters, they are very interesting and have such different personalities. I love to see them grow on each other. I like the bits of humor in here, it spices the story up even more. You are very, very creative! I loved the story line. This was a page turner for me, I love the converstaions Riku and Alice have with each other. And the descriptions you give are great.. I see all their facial expressions as they speak. I would love to see this turned into a movie.. that's be wicked, a visual of Death Pact by None0! Great job!