Down By the Pier | Teen Ink

Down By the Pier

By KatieHolmes BRONZE, Petersburg, Michigan
KatieHolmes BRONZE, Petersburg, Michigan

Whoosh.

Awakening from nightfall,  I open the thin screen door that shields me from the world.  Strolling outside with sunglasses covering my eyes, sunscreen protecting my skin, and my new bikini designed with little shells hanging from the lower end of the top and bottoms, and I hop onto my violet purple beach bike covered with island stickers and a parrot horn.  Swiftly, I start rolling down the narrow streets of Anna Maria Island.  Twenty minutes down the road, I put pressure on the brakes and stop my bike as I observe the antique shops scattered down Palm Street.  Each is designed with their own wooden, multicolor siding and chipped paint reiterating the names of the shops.  Taking in the scenery, I notice the delightful taste of salt and sunscreen floating in the air. 
I have arrived at the City Pier.  Without hesitation, I whip off my sandals and let my feet sink into the soft, pearly-white sand as it tickles my toes.  Peaceful waves crash along the shores beside me, and impeccably detailed seashells reveal in the wake.  Looking at the long pier that is full-speed ahead, my mind becomes invaded with the feeling of tranquility.

Step-by step, smooth, rustic planks lie beneath me with thick wooden pillars scattered along the sides. The pitter-patter of people's feet echo as they stroll up and down the pier.  Pelicans squeal as they flap their big wings and peacefully land on the pillars and atop the roof of the pier.  As I inch closer and closer to the farther end, chatter engulfs me from the little restaurant as people eat their seafood that smells as pungent as the liquor served to the men at the bar. 

By the entrance, I examine a pair of handcrafted earrings prepared by a delicate old man selling jewelry who I’ve known since I was a child.  Gasps of exasperation fill the air alongside the restaurant as people exclaim over the man who caught a stingray.  Speed-walking to the man, the smell of raw fish and beer surrounds the fishermen as they catch fish-by-fish. 

Without notice, I see my family casting out their fishing poles and laughing.  I walk over to them and grab my reel and fish for hours.  Dolphins pop their heads above the translucent water to say hello to the tourists alongside the dock.  Snatch!  With great surprise, I reel in my line to find a sheep fish!  Grabbing its slippery scales, my mom takes a picture of me giving a big ol’ thumbs up, and I delicately toss it back into the water.
Who knew a little pier such as this could bring joy and peacefulness, impacting the lives of many?  Ever since I was a little girl, I have found peace and comfort from this old, special pier.  Just the feeling of knowing I’m actually at the pier creates an adrenaline rush, and I suddenly feel as free as the fish that swim in the ocean.  I feel as if I can do whatever I please, like talk to the jeweler or sit on the dock.  Dangling my feet above the water, I stare at my reflection as ripples from the fish swarm around me.  I wonder what life is like as a fish.  It simply cannot be better than this. 

As the hours tick by and the sun begins to set, an array of colors light up the evening and reflect off the water.  Massive marengo manatees swim by, heading towards the canal.  I lay in the sand by the pier and stare up at the sky.  People walk past as I close my eyes.  Everything fades and it’s just me and the sound of water splashing onto the shore.  What peace my pier brings me, today and forevermore.

It is moments such as these that bring peace and happiness into my life.  It is just me and the sound God has created, for all to hear.  I simply can overlook my schedules back at home, the commotion of arguments between people, the stress of time management, or whatever brings worry into my mind.  I just look at the pier and take in the view of all the great things our great God can do.