Simple Pleasures. | Teen Ink

Simple Pleasures.

October 17, 2016
By maddiekwas BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
maddiekwas BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Some things in life give small and simple pleasures. To some, it might be reading a nice book, while sitting on a hammock on a sunny day. It might be a trip to your favorite store. For myself, it is playing my ukulele outside on my dock or sitting by a window, looking outside and admiring the lake, or enjoying the sunlight. We all have passions, some might be for fun, and other passions consume ones life. Music to me has been with me all my life, and It's natural to play often,because I love it. On Saturday, the light from my open window shined in, creating a beautiful ray of sunlight casting on my cactus plant. The night before I had left my uke beside it. It was a truly beautiful sight for an artist, I remember thinking. I pulled out my phone and took a picture, focusing on the thin wood of the ukulele, and the pink bow that tied around the cactus plant. That picture might not be much to some, but it is a stunning sight to me. The ukulele and plant reminds me of the Dominican Republic, which is a comforting place to me, and brings me my happiest memories. The culture there seems to fit my personality more, than the American culture. Culture is something that changes rapidly, and travels everywhere. Culture in Michigan and Culture in California is different, from the way people express themselves, to the types of food they eat and the jobs that everyone wants. Culture can bring other people's ideas and traditions to a new place, and making it an add on of their culture. This is very important for human development, because the spread of ideas creates evolution, creation, and even adventure. My home for example, has Greek, Spanish, French, European, and Chinese artifacts, food, souvenirs, and holiday culture that we find normal, along with our native culture. This beautiful picture shows passion, talent, comfort, and most importantly, culture.