The Vietnam Veterans Memorial: A Work of Art | Teen Ink

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial: A Work of Art MAG

By Maxolm GOLD, Norton Shores, Michigan
Maxolm GOLD, Norton Shores, Michigan

As history unwinds, the world changes, and life is renewed with each generation, there is one constant that keeps everything together – and that is art. Art speaks without talking and can stir our emotions. Each person can interpret a piece of art differently, depending on the meaning and value we give to it. In the best cases, a piece of art can leave a lasting impression on people throughout history.

When I had the privilege to go to Washington, DC, for my eighth grade trip, one of our destinations was the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. When I first set eyes on this significant piece of art, I was moved. I felt compelled to read each and every name listed on its onyx granite surface. The reason for the memorial is clear – it is there for us to remember all those who gave their lives for our country and for them to be honored in death with respect.

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is a permanent landmark set in our nation’s capital to constantly remind us of our history. Its purpose is to help us recall all those who were lost, and those who did what most of us could not. Like a mirror, the onyx granite reflects those who stand before it, signifying that those men and women fought for us. Inspiration is a word that comes to mind whenever I think about the memorial. Those brave individuals marched into war giving everything they had to defend the values of our country. They may or may not have been experienced in combat, but they were inspired by the great nation that they were fighting for.

Even though it’s cold to the touch, the memorial is a symbol of ever­lasting freedom. By simply touching the wall, your soul feels a connection to those who came before you. Veteran Kenneth Young said, “I don’t know what it is. You have to touch it. There’s something about touching it.” The feeling it gave Young was the same it gave to me. Touching any of the 58,000 names makes you feel like you are communicating with the past. This piece of art reflects honor, inspiration, and truth. The people whose names are carved in the wall deserve every bit of hard work that went into creating this masterpiece.

There are always different viewpoints in life, especially when it comes to opinions about art. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial may speak more clearly to a veteran or active serving military member than anyone else. A veteran might see a friend’s name on the wall and think about the war and how it ended his friend’s life. But it may also instill pride and gratitude in that veteran because he sees that his buddy has been honored in the country he died fighting for.

“It chokes me up every time. It brings back a lot of memories because there are a lot of guys on the wall that I remember, and when I look at their names I remember them just like it was yesterday,” said Frank Stroble, who was a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam War. Even though the memorial can provoke feelings of fear and trigger flashbacks, its overall purpose it to show that we as a country honor art – especially art that is used to honor those who allowed us to create it freely in the first place. 

I really want people to understand the reason and meaning of art.