Learning a Third Language | Teen Ink

Learning a Third Language

By haya-mi BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
haya-mi BRONZE, Riyadh, Other

Learning a new language is something really interesting, helpful and important to do, if you learn a new language you will realize that it really connects you with the people around you and to different communities as well.

By learning a third language I am connecting and understanding people more, I do this by talking and listening to them. After the experience of learning a third language, I realized how it made me more confident and had a big impact on me. I go to France quite a lot and after learning French I realized how much easier it was to communicate with the people there , and I felt more comfortable around them and don't feel like a stranger.

There is this one example of a situation that happened to me and my mom, we were walking in the streets of Paris just looking through stores and just having a morning walk when we realized that we got lost, we wanted to ask someone for directions back to the hotel we were staying in but everyone in that neighborhood only spoke French, thankfully I knew how to speak French because no one knew how to speak English. If I didn't know how to talk French I really don’t know what we could have done since my mother's phone was out of battery and I left my phone back in the hotel. This made me realize how lucky I was knowing how to talk French or I really don't know what we could have done.

When you are “learning a new language it is like you are becoming a new person” (by Haruki Murakami) after reading this I really understood what he meant by “learning a new language” makes you “become a new person”, because when i talk french I really feel like another person since the people I talk to in France and the people i met and got to know there are very different than the people I often talk to, and by learning French I am getting out of comfort zone and reaching out to new people and becoming a part of a new and different community.

This is why learning a new language is something really helpful to do in life, especially if you travel a lot, it would make you feel more connected to the people rather than going to a place and not knowing anything. It is like when you miss school and come back after a month, you would come back to class and be really lost and not know what they are doing in class. To avoid this you study the things you missed to catch up right? well learning a new language is almost the same thing, it's like when I went to France if I did not know french I wouldn't and couldn't have communicated with anyone to direct us back to the hotel and I wouldn't have made all these new friends and had all these great experiences.