Communication Is Power | Teen Ink

Communication Is Power

Understanding others is power and making others understand what you want them to understand is also power. Communication with others is important in daily life whether it’s a stranger or your friend or your family, to develop a relation with another communication is essential. If you speak and understand different languages that means you can communicate with different kind of people around the world.

As living in Saudi Arabia communication made me realize how important learning different language is. Wherever I used to to go I needed to communicate whether to a shopkeeper or a stranger. I couldn’t speak and understand Arabic so I had to use sign language to make them understand what I wanted them to do and whenever you are using sign language mostly people don’t get full idea of  what you mean and sign language isn’t reliable. If you don’t speak and understand a language it is hard to live and communicate with others.

Speaking two or more languages also has  advantages. I can speak and understand English means I can freely communicate with others. In AISR where English is primarily used and people from different countries are here and speak English. Since I know two languages not only I can communicate with people of my country and also communicate with people who speak English like myself. Knowing a language makes you understand what others are saying and you can develop with them.

Communication is essential in daily life and when you are moving to another country and you don’t get what most people are saying. When I was going to different places I couldn’t read what was written on shops, restaurants and markets. I couldn’t read the price of the things I wanted to buy. I learned if you cannot read a language you don’t know what's written everywhere, in different restaurants and different shops or markets and so learning to write second language is also important as you won’t get what's written. To be in a community you have to understand others and also interact with others, If you don’t get what people are saying then there is no community. Mostly groups accept people who speak same language as them so they don’t have to talk in different languages and speaking one language is much easier for them.

Communicating is power and it is essential to living our daily life. If you don’t understand others then you will be lost. Talking gives you sense of relation to a family or friend. It is hard to live a day without understanding others and trying to make others understand when you both don’t know a common language is also very difficult. Learning multiple or different language is huge advantage as it allows you to understand different kinds of people and different cultures.