We Are All on the Same Journey | Teen Ink

We Are All on the Same Journey

By claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia
claireaffair SILVER, McDonough, Georgia

“I’ve never had an original thought in my life…and there’s tons of people on the internet happy to tell me just that.” -Shepard Fairey (Creator of OBEY Propaganda)

"The duty of the youth is to challenge corruption." -Kurt Cobain

The past two weeks I have been in 3 different countries and have visited 7 different cities. I've sat a total of 12 hours in 7 different airports, and now that I have one last layover it's time that I reflect on my experiences. This trip was my first time to Europe and frankly my first time flying alone. I encountered people from all different cultures and backgrounds, and one thing that has been surprisingly constant this trip: the mutual respect between the locals and the travelers. Surprisingly, everyone I've encountered has been respectful and helpful. From the taxi drivers in Barcelona who put up with my mediocre Spanish to the British workers that helped me use the tube (London's metro system) everyone respected and helped me on my journey. Beforehand I was prompted that the natives are often annoyed and rude to travelers so this came as a pleasant surprise.

I remember more, after just a week, about the individuals I encountered and the small, but beautiful details I viewed than I do about the big  postcard picture moments. I cannot stop thinking about my experience in Barcelona, Spain at the large basilica Sangrada Familia. The church is one of the largest in the world and a top notch tourist destination. Thousands of people, all from different religious background visit the basilica each day. As I was standing in front of Gaudí's amazing stained glass window and columns with 100 other tourists from around the world we finally had something in common. The expression on every face was in agreement. It didn't matter at the moment who believed that Jesus died on the cross or that there was any God at all; what was in front of you at that very moment was beautiful no matter what it was built to glorify. In spite of all the changes America has experienced in the past month I finally felt as though our voices found harmony for the moment.

Another one of my most eye opening moments was on my journey back to the states. I was sitting at my gate and a young man across the aisle from me dropped $20 from his pocket. When I approached him and said excuse me he looked up and seemed perplexed as to why I would speak to him. When I told him his money was on the ground his expression faded to one a little friendlier than before. Airports are crowded and stressful places, and it can be hard to look past baggage claim and focus on those Barcelona hills.

In a month I embark on a new journey; one that is only an hour and half from home, but still new and frightening to me. Just like the thousands of travelers at Manchester's airport, every student on my campus will also be on his or her way to new scenery. Some of us may be more experienced travelers than others, but were all traveling the same path. I'm sure there will be a time when a peer will drop his or her passport or need help finding the gate when flights get changed. As I work to claim my diploma and begin my career I hope I can remember to take a deep breathe and to help others do the same. I'm thankful for the opportunity to have traveled this month and I will never forget the places and people it led me to. We are all on the same journey no matter where our stops or layovers take us, and we should treat each other accordingly.