Turkish Delight | Teen Ink

Turkish Delight

By SRobserver GOLD, Montreal, Other
SRobserver GOLD, Montreal, Other

" Be yourself , everyone else is taken"

Last summer my family and I visited Istanbul and Trabzon, two cities in gorgeous Turkey. Though our vacation was only two weeks long, it was enough for me to leave Turkey with a new prospective of a city I never dreamed could hold so much. Our vacation started off with a week in Istanbul, the capital of Turkey. After that we flew to a small town near the black sea called Trabzon, which is known for its mountains and beautiful scenery.

In the middle of our week in Istanbul I had to go to the emergency room at three in the morning. My hospital visit led me to discover that no matter how far in the world I travel Istanbul is just another city that never sleeps. While sitting in a taxi cab with my parents on our way to the hospital, I looked out the window and saw men sitting outside laughing and sipping tea as if it were early at night, instead of three in the morning. My tired eyes took in my surroundings. Places were brightly, and people were still up. The cab driver sped up the hills pressing hard on the gas pedal. I was longing for a good night sleep, but Istanbul was clearly still awake.
What I loved about Istanbul was the breath of history it held in every corner. I visited Dolmabache palace, home of sultans from the Ottoman Empire. Stepping into the elaborate foyer, with its red carpet and crystal chandelier adorning the ceiling, I was mesmerized at what my eyes beheld. The palace has gorgeous furniture, and every inch of the place holds furniture fit for royalty. I fell in love with the historical library, with its fire place, wooden bookshelves, and portraits. It felt as if we were in a fairytale. Of course, there weren’t any air conditioners in the palace, so the weather was sweltering and we were sweating through the whole tour. However, it was one hundred percent worth it. Later on we took tours of historical mosques such as, Sultan Ahmed Mosque, also known as the Blue Mosque due to its colour, and Aya Sofia.
To keep this from turning into a history lesson I will jump straight to the point. If you go to Istanbul, you can go to the beach, eat at great restaurants, go shopping, and do all the modern things you expect to do in a European country. However, visit all these historical places, take all the tours offers, and you will be swept of your feet, and thrown back in time. Istanbul is a gorgeous modern city that still manages to uphold its admirable history in every corner.
When we first left the plane and landed in Trabzon, we were astounded at the quietness of the place. Accustomed to the bustle of Istanbul, we were a bit surprised at the atmosphere of Trabzon. The beauty of Turkey is that each city is unique. It is enough to make you feel like it is a giant puzzle with different pieces all attached together.
Trabzon was the right place to unwind from our hectic trip. It had beautiful Mountains, charming scenery, and cool weather. During that week we arranged for a bus driver to take us 3000 feet up the mountains. Reaching the top, I stood up a small hill and eagerly looked at my surroundings. Clouds were enveloping us, and the trees had beautiful dew on them with water that is sure to be sweet. It was a pleasant week at Trabzon, and the people were friendly and eager to help in any way they can. Although we did not speak their language, we were able to communicate by hand gestures. To our uttermost surprise we found a huge shopping mall in Trabzon, and spent the last couple of days shopping. Yes, Turkey has it all, and I would gladly recommend it to anyone!

NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

hah, lol, i'll still let you read it :)

SRobserver GOLD, Montreal, Other

" Be yourself , everyone else is taken"

Ofcourse I would love to , and Im flattered that you asked me. But you should know that im not egyptian, im actually from bahrain. Let me know if you still want me to read the article. Take care

NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

hah thanks. i'm writing an article about egypt and a satire about the hijab and i was wondering if you would like to read them...they're not approved yet but i would like some input from you since you are an egyptian girl. what do you say Shereen?

SRobserver GOLD, Montreal, Other

" Be yourself , everyone else is taken"

Hope you do, I know youll love it !

NorthernWriter, Fargo, North Dakota

"Only dead fish swim with the stream"

Turkey does sound fascinating :) I'm Turkish and Egyptian but I've only been to Egypt. May be someday I'll go to Turkey!