Arguing | Teen Ink

Arguing

November 13, 2017
By Anonymous

Arguing: exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way.


I love debating, so I tend to argue without even a thought beforehand. This often lands me in trouble; however in this story, I watch as trouble befalls someone else.


I play basketball competitively for my school. During a certain game with our rival school, tensions were running high. It was a close game, so every possession counted. #40 of the opposite team fell to the ground to grab the ball. On the ground he and I started to wrestle for it. He started to roll, ever so slightly. The referee of the game quickly blew his whistle and yelled, “Travel!!”


At once #40 started to protest.


“What are you talking about? I didn’t even move!”


The ref ignored his plea and went over to hand the ball to me, over out of bounds. I got a front row seat for the drama that was about to unfold.


As the ref got closer to handing me the ball, #40’s dad jumped out of the stands and stood up.


“Ref, c’mon man, that wasn’t a travel. The kid didn’t even move. Besides if its a foul it’s a foul on that kid.” He pointed at me. Apparently he thought that I had committed a foul against his son during the scuffle on the ground.
“Sir, I am the ref, you are not. By the books, your son traveled.” The ref responds.
“What kind of ref are you?” The other guy shot back.
“Sir, I’m going to have to ask you to sit down.” The ref said back.
“You suck ref.” The argument quickly escalated.
“Sir, If you don't sit down now, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” The ref took a step closer. Meanwhile, I was just standing there, glancing occasionally into the stands. It was apparent to the supporters that I was holding back laughter.
“If you can’t make a simple call, you shouldn’t be here.” The man raised his voice.
“This is your last warning. Sit down or leave!” The ref raised his voice as well.


“How did you even get hired? That guy,” he pointed at me, “clearly deserves a foul. You are literally trash.”
“Ejected! Leave immediately or face suspension from other games!” The ref yelled, and pointed out the door.
“You!” He pointed at #40, “You get a technical!” The ref then led me down to the free throw line, let me shoot one, gave us possession of the ball, and carried on with the game. We ended up winning, and I scored an all new point high. But as I glanced out the window on the door into the hall, I couldn’t help feeling bad for the father as he glanced in unapologetically, still fuming over what happened.


This is an instance that I often find myself in. I would rather argue and fight over something that is as stupid as a small foul in basketball than brush it off. In this case, I was almost laughing, but looking back on it I am reminded by an old proverb.


“Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self control than one who takes a city.”


The author's comments:

Arguing and the trouble it comes with.