The Successful Steelers | Teen Ink

The Successful Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a National Football League team. They belong to the American Football Conference North division along with the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, and Cincinnati Bengals. They have had many successful years as an NFL team. They have won six Super Bowls and take pride in having some of the greatest football teams of all time. They have had sixteen different head coaches for this franchise but the main three coaches that have been the most successful are Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher, and Mike Tomlin. These men have coached the Steelers since 1969. Chuck Noll was their coach from 1969-1991, Bill Cowher was their coach from 1992-2006, and Mike Tomlin from 2007-present. The Pittsburgh Steelers have tremendous fans and a great owner. The Rooney family founded the franchise in 1933 in Pittsburgh as the Pittsburgh Pirates. The name was changed to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1941 to celebrate the city’s heritage of producing steel. The Rooney family stayed true to the fans of the Steelers and have never moved the franchise out of Pittsburgh. They have a great fan base who always loves their team no matter how good or how bad they are. They have so many different parts of the team which makes them the most interesting franchise in the NFL.

The Steelers are the seventh oldest franchise in the NFL. The team is the only NFL team to win six Super Bowls. They have twenty-two players, coaches or administrators who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Since they were founded in 1933, they have been an extremely successful franchise. The original owner of the team was Art Rooney. He founded the Steelers and his family has owned the team since. Art later passed down ownership to his son Dan Rooney. Dan and his son Art Rooney II now own the team and have no plans of selling the franchise. While the Rooney family has owned the Steelers, they have made many decisions that have greatly helped this franchise. The Steelers originally shared Three Rivers Stadium with the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1970-2000. The Pirates wanted to have their own stadium so Heinz 67 purchased the naming rights to the stadium and the Steelers have played at Heinz field since 2001. The Steelers will be playing at Heinz field until 2031 with the great view of the Three Rivers. Another great thing about the Steelers franchise is their mascot; his name is Steely McBeam. They introduced their new mascot in 2007. Steely’s name is inspired by the city’s steel production. He spends his time on the field carrying around a steel beam and making fans cheer louder and louder. Steely has become a face of the Steelers that everyone will remember.

The Steelers have had many memorable players on their roster. (They have nineteen players in the NFL and three coaches in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.) Some of their most famous players include Franco Harris, who was a running back for the team from 1972-1983, Lynn Swann, who was a wide receiver for the team from 1974-1982, and Terry Bradshaw, who was the Steelers best quarterback of all time he played for the Steelers from 1970-1983. There are so many other excellent players and those are just some of the players inducted into the Hall of Fame.

A lot of people recognize the Steelers as a team of the past, but what many people don’t realize is that the Steelers are still a great team. They are incredibly fun to watch and have been extremely successful in the past few years. Mike Tomlin, who is the team’s coach, is great at what he does. He gets the best out of each player and that is part of the reason why the Steelers win all of their tight games. The players want to be successful because Coach Tomlin pushes them to be the best players they can be. Now, the team’s success isn’t all because of Tomlin, they have some serious talent on offense, defense and special teams. They often have an issue with their defense, but they have drafted some young players that will definitely help the Steelers in the long run. Some of the big name players that are on the Steelers roster now are Ben Roethlisberger, Le’veon Bell, Antonio Brown, Lawrence Timmons, and Ryan Shazier. Ben Roethlisberger is the team’s quarterback and he has been since 2004. Le’veon Bell is the team’s running back. He was drafted out of Michigan State and has been playing with the Steelers since he got drafted in 2013. Antonio Brown is the team’s star wide receiver, he was not expected to be very good coming out of college, but he surprised us all. He has been an amazing player since he was drafted in 2010. Ryan Shazier and Lawrence Timmons are both middle linebackers for the Steelers. Ryan Shazier has been with the team since he got drafted out of Ohio State in 2014. Timmons, however, has been a team leader for awhile now. He plays with heart and is a dominant force on the football field. He has been with the team since 2007.

The Steelers have always been a winning team, one can tell this by noticing that they have the most Super Bowl wins of all time with six in the bag. That is why it is always a surprise when they are not competing for the playoffs let alone the Super Bowl. Just like any team they have had some rough years after joining the NFL. The team struggled throughout their early years. The franchise had a major turnaround in 1969 when they hired coach Chuck Noll. In the time that he coached, he lead the team to four Super Bowls. This also had something to do with the fact that that the Steelers had one of the best defences of all time in the 70’s. “The Steel Curtain” is what the defense was nicknamed and boy was it a vicious one. By the end of the game the curtain looked fresh and ready to play more while the opposing offense looked like they had no business being out there on that field. They also had quite a good offense led by quarterback Terry Bradshaw. When you have that kind of defence and an offense that was just as great, it was hard for Coach Noll not to win more Super Bowls. Back in the 70’s when Noll was the Steelers coach, the team played more of a ground and pound style, with Tomlin as the Steelers coach, they still run the ball because of how good Le’veon Bell is, but they are a team who passes first. Ben Roethlisberger always seems to find the open receiver no matter who it is. The way the Steelers play may have changed, but they just keep on winning no matter the coach or the play style.

In conclusion, the Steelers are an extremely interesting, dynamic and successful franchise. They have won the hearts of many of their fans by winning constantly. It’s hard not to love the way they play and the way that they win. They have a great stadium in the great city of Pittsburgh. That is why the Steelers are unlike many other franchises in the NFL. What separates them is the fact that they have the heart and the soul to win football games.

I like the Steelers