First Dance | Teen Ink

First Dance

By K.M.Woods SILVER, No Where, Pennsylvania
K.M.Woods SILVER, No Where, Pennsylvania

"Do not pity the dead, pity the living and above all those who live without love." -Albus Dumbledore

thrumming of the music vibrated against my bare feet, the hardwood floor chilling my toes. My short, ruffled, black dress fluttered as I danced with the mob of people around me. The song that pounded through the speakers behind me was a fast-paced club song, perfect for jumping around with reckless abandon. My hair swung around my shoulders, flying in all directions as I bopped my head with the beat. My whole body released the tension that had built up in the past week. My mind slowed and all my stress melted away as the party went on.

The night went by quickly and my feet ached blissfully. Song after song rocked through my limbs. I felt completely free and at ease, a new sensation for my young self. I had never felt more alive, surrounded by friends who were just as young and wild. It was the best night of my life. A slow song had come on through the speaker and I made my way over to an empty table. I had never slow danced with anyone before.

Suddenly a tall, handsome Asian boy stood in front of me. “Come dance with me!” Dan had his hand outstretched, reaching towards me. A million thoughts raced through my mind at once. I can’t do this. Aren’t slow dances supposed to be romantic? I don’t like him like that. Dan had been a good friend of mine for three years by then, we had done many things together but dancing was not one of them.

“I can’t dance,” I blurted. My cheeks flushed an embarrassed shade of red. Why had that been the first thing out of my mouth? Dan shook his head, floppy hair flying, and laughed as he took my hand and led me onto the dance floor.

I started to get a bit dizzy as he placed his hands on my hips. At first I wasn’t sure what to do, but my arms found their way around his neck of their own accord. It was a strange feeling, being this close to someone who wasn’t a relative. I was a great deal shorter than Dan and not very coordinated either. He must have taken notice.

“Here, stand on my feet, I’ll lead.” He nudged my foot with his shoe and helped me step on as he pulled me closer to him. I could feel the heat radiating from his body. He rested his chin on the top of my head and hummed along with the song, swaying our bodies slowly in tight circles. You don’t like him. I repeated the phrase over and over in my mind, reminding myself he was just a friend. A close friend.
“Do you know this song?” His deep voice interrupted my thoughts. All I could manage was a nod in response. “Sing with me,” he whispered.
We both sang quietly, my forehead rested against his chest. “Darlin’ I will be loving’ you ‘til we’re seventy.” I knew the song very well, it was a song that I had sung at a cousin’s wedding.

It felt as though the song had been playing for hours when it ended. I stepped off of his shoes and shivered as my bare feet made contact with the cold wood again. I began to step away from Dan, but his hands did not move from my waist. “The song ended,” I stated.
“So? Who says we can’t keep dancing?” He smiled innocently.
It was my first dance.