Daydreaming | Teen Ink

Daydreaming

By jacquelinekliewer BRONZE, San Diego, California
jacquelinekliewer BRONZE, San Diego, California

When I get bored, I daydream. I daydream about anything and anyone. I daydream about what could happen if clouds were made out of cotton candy instead of water. I daydream about things like my future and what college I think about going to. Regardless of what I daydream about, there’s always the escape feeling that makes it almost addictive. Daydreaming sometimes help me relax in stressful situations, especially since they get my mind off of the current issue. I’ve daydreamed for as long as I can remember. It has brought me a vast array of emotions and feelings. The idea of being the ruler of my own country or the president makes me feel like I can do anything and gives me hope for the future. When I’m sad and I begin to daydream about my favorite memories it helps me feel better and more resilient to sadness.

During important track meets, daydreaming and keeping my mind off my upcoming competition, it helps me stay calm and keeps the nerves low. The same goes for an upcoming test or the equivalent. When I play in band, daydreaming about the music dancing as I play the piece makes me learn to appreciate the piece more and play it with more emotion and excitement. When I go through troubles, such as drama with friends or family, daydreaming brings an escape of some sort. It brings to life the virtually impossible things here on Earth. My brain has no limits. The daydreams I have are the same. They come from anywhere, can go anywhere, and can happen anytime. My imagination goes wild when it daydreams. It makes me feel like a kid again.

Many people don’t understand daydreaming or find daydreaming childish and immature, as many associate it with children. Its seen as something that we grow out of overtime. I, personally, disagree. I believe that daydreaming is what makes us adults. Without it, many olympic athletes, actors, or musicians wouldn’t have ever met their dreams. Daydreaming brings a reality to our dreams in life that many say are impossible and it makes the dreamer feel as if it’s possible. Daydreams should never be anything that we grow out of. No one should ever stop daydreaming. It’s what keeps us reaching our goals and aspirations, regardless of age. Nonetheless, daydreaming helps bring happiness to many people who lack it. I know it does for me.

Daydreaming is one of the most underrated and beautiful parts of the human mind. It brings an escape to life’s struggles and helps make goals more attainable. Without it, life would be exceptionally dull. I, personally, find it one of the best parts of life. The creativity of the right portion of the brain is limitless and, in a world that has nothing but limits, it’s nice to enjoy something that doesn’t. Daydreaming brings life to the smallest things you would never think could and that’s flabbergasting.

I wrote this beacause I am one of those people who daydream constantly and wanted to give a perspective on the issue.