World Series Trip! | Teen Ink

World Series Trip!

December 13, 2017
By brandon.naitons BRONZE, Grand Saline, Texas
brandon.naitons BRONZE, Grand Saline, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The time we went to play baseball in Gulf Shores, Alabama. We drove down to Alabama  for a World Series tournament. This is one of the best experience I have ever had. Most all of the players stayed in condos right on the ocean. We could walk down the beach to our friend’s condos to hangout with them. Although we didn’t really have much time to hangout. But when we did we always had a blast.

 

We usually had at least one game a day, but some days we had multiple. The day we got there, they were having Opening Ceremonies. Opening Ceremonies consisted of introducing all the teams, pin trading, and skills competition. Pin trading is a unique deal because each team has their own pin and traded theirs for the other teams. This was a good way to make good memories.


The part I liked the most was the Skills competition. This consisted of many different competitions like Home Run Derby, Around The Horn, and Fielding competition. The Home Run Derby was simply who can hit the most home runs with ten swings. The Around The Horn competition was to see which team could get the ball around the horn the fastest. In the baseball world around the horn is what teams do after the strikeout someone. Lastly the Fielding competition is to see which team could field the ball at the highest percentage.


When the games started, we played two games the first day. We won them by a few runs apiece. The teams we played weren't the best in the tournament, but they weren’t horrible. But the team that I play for one of the top teams in Texas. The next day,we only had one game and we won it also but it was a very close game. We beat them on a walk off homerun by Hunter. Everyone got so excited and we almost forgot to shake hands with the other team.


The next day, got rained out because there was a tropical storm coming in off the Gulf of Mexico. So we just had to go find something to do. We decided to going to Hunters rent house the. One thing that we did was, we went to the river that was close by. Him and I had kayaks that we could use. But we had to carry them all the way to the river. We went and got them and started to walk. Once we got there we dropped them off the end of the dock, and got in them. We paddled around in the water for about fifteen minutes. Then Hunter's dad walked down to the dock with some fishing poles. He started to fish, but he wasn’t catching anything. Then he got so bored he was just about to leave, so we asked if we could use them. He didn't even hesitate to give them to us. We really wanted to catch something. But it was really hard to keep your balance and cast the fishing pole at the same time. We only attempted fishing for about ten minutes, until we realized that it wasn't going to work. Eventually we just paddled back to the dock and put the poles there.


After about an hour of paddling around, we got out of them and went to the house. Once we made it back we got really bored at the house. So we got on some bikes and rode them for awhile. We rode around in this neighborhood for awhile. There were a lot of other kids riding around on bikes. We rode around, then we saw these kids playing in a lot. They asked us if we wanted to play with them. We really wanted to play with them. But we couldn't, because we had to be back home in only ten minutes. We went back home and our parents were there waiting on us.


We were going into town to an amusement park. At the park there were many Go-Kart tracks. Including a three story Go-Kart track. They also had arcade games inside the main building. Many people were outside and there weren't many people inside. So we went and played arcade games first. Me and Hunter went to this game. The objective was to throw the ball at these clown things for points. We scored the highest and got the most tickets every time we played. We ended up getting more tickets than we were going to use. So we just gave them to this little boy who didn't have many. Many people start to come inside so we started to make our way outside. The first thing we did when we got out there was go straight to the go-kart track. We didn’t go to the biggest one first because that would be no fun. We rode the one that was right outside,  it was a simple course but it was fun.


Then finally we went over to the biggest track. The first time that we started to go up the the twisted track I got a little scared. But once we got all the way up there it was so fun. When we started to come down I picked up so much speed. We went up one last time and nobody could pass me. Once the supervisors told us to drive them back to the loading zone I was the first one to go in.