Dream Board | Teen Ink

Dream Board

My mom took me skating at the age of 4 at the Stephen C West Ice Arena in Breckenridge.  I had a natural talent at it. We went skating a few more times before I asked if I could start private lessons. I became so in love and dedicated to skating that when my skating program in Breckenridge fell apart I had my parents take me to Vail every day after school to go skating. The program started to fall apart when the main coach got sick and had to get surgery and moved back in with her family. After that we kept getting coaches that would only stay for a few months and then would have to leave because they weren't committed to the program. After all of this happened my family decided that because my brother wanted to become a football player and I wanted to become an ice skater that we would move to Boulder so we could accomplish our dreams.

After a few years of training at the Promenade in Westminster, I was now landing all of these new jumps and I was a completely different skater and definitely for the better. In October of 2016 I was competing as an intermediate at regionals in Plano, Texas. I was the last skater in my group for qualifying round, I blew the doors open with my performance and got 3rd place. With that placement I  ended up making it to final round which means I was now competing to go to sectionals. Final round did not go as well as qualifying and I didn’t end up making it to sectionals but I was insanely happy with how well I had done in qualifying.  and it was Making final round was my y next step in becoming a national competitor and going to the olympics.

It was now the season of 2017 and I was doing great I was getting 1st’s and almost landing this jump called a triple salchow. It was coming close to the end of summer and my brother was packing getting ready to go and accomplish his dream by playing football in college in LA California. He left the day after my birthday and it was the saddest day of my life. I could not stop crying and my heart physically hurt. I had to skate the day after my brother left as much as I didn’t want to but  on the bright side  I had just gotten my permit so that was exciting. . The next day I wasn’t as happy as the day before, I was missing my brother a lot. I ended up talking to my coach about my brother and how sad I was, in the end we both ended up crying. After we regrouped she told me to go try my triple salchow and I did and I landed it and then fell over I was so ecstatic.  I asked if I could do one more and she was hesitant but she let me go. I tried it and as I came down on my foot and I felt my ankle roll and go inside and pain go through it. I tried to get up but I heard a pop and pain shoot through my ankle so I sat back down. In knew right then and there that my season was over. Skating is my passion and I live for it everyday, when my doctor told me it was a grade 3 high ankle sprain and that it was the worst sprain I could get I started to cry. I am just now starting physical therapy and there is a long road ahead for me but I would do anything to get back to skating.

Writer's Memo
When I first started this piece it was just a quick write talking about how I had started skating at the age of 4 and how I now can’t skate because I sprained my ankle. I then started to make it more in depth about how skating became my life and how it is what I want to do.  I also brought my brother up because he has the same dedication to his sport that I have to mine. So when he left it was really hard because he was the one the pushed me so hard. I want the reader to know that I have done everything for skating and now that I can’t skate I am eager to start becoming stronger so I can come back better than ever. I have only written one draft and it definitely needs a lot of work. I want help figuring out places where I can say how skating has shaped and demonstrates me.
I made quite a few of changes throughout my paper. A lot of the changes were made because of what people suggested for me to do. I liked a lot of the suggestions but I also did not change some things because it was what I wanted to say. I think that my paper is now a lot better because of the changes I made. I went into way more detail than I had on my first draft