Helping Those Who Can't Help Themselves | Teen Ink

Helping Those Who Can't Help Themselves

By katarinad BRONZE, Oakland, Rhode Island
katarinad BRONZE, Oakland, Rhode Island

When I was in Kindergarten, I was a very outgoing and happy child. I never really caused a disturbance in class, so I would say that the teachers were quite fond of me. I can remember a time when another student couldn’t reach one of the toys. His arms were too short to reach the bottom of the toy bin, but he continued to try to reach further despite his failed attempts so far. I remember thinking to myself how if he reached any further, he might fall into the toy bin himself. I felt bad that he couldn’t reach the toy, so I obviously went over and got it for him. He looked so happy to finally have the toy he had been struggling for, and he quickly said, “Thank you!” before running off to play with his toy. I walked back over to the kitchen playset before I heard my teacher say something to me. “Why did you help him?” my teacher asked. I remember telling her, “I have long arms, so I should use them to help other kids reach their toys.” She told me how that was a very nice thing to do, but I remember thinking to myself how it was just the right thing to do.

I still have the letter my teacher wrote home to my parents telling them about the good deed that I did. The letter explained that I was “...a great role model for the rest of my class” and how I would “...become a successful, polite woman some day.” My parents also told me that what I did was very admirable, but I still didn’t know why everyone was making a fuss out of this. At the time, I remember wondering why everyone was applauding me for doing the right thing. Why should I be applauded for doing something good for other people? Isn’t that just the sensible thing to do?

I still strongly believe that I should help those who can’t help themselves. In other words, if I am able to help someone in need, I should because it’s my responsibility as a person to look after the world and everyone on it. If someone asks for help with schoolwork, I always try to explain the answer to the best of my ability. I always try to think about others first, and I love the feeling I get when I make others happy. I enjoy telling people jokes to cheer them up, and it makes me feel so joyous and content when they just give me that do-you-really-think-you’re-funny look.

As stated before, I love to help and make others happy. On Saturdays during the school year, I volunteer at my dance studio. I have a strong passion for dance, and I also love children. It is so rewarding to help make a difference in other people’s lives, even if it’s just helping little girls put on their dance shoes. I enjoy making connections with them because even though they are only 4-7 years old, I want them to know that they can look up to me not only during dance but as a person as well.

I have been a very caring and compassionate person from a young age. I feed off of other people’s energy and happiness, and I have always had a soft spot for those who are less fortunate and in need. Whether they are in need of shelter, food, or love, I always give as much as I can. Although I am only fourteen years old, I try my best to look out for those who need help.

This work was just supposed to be another English essay for school, but it actually helped me to find out more about myself and my beliefs. It feels great to write about something you are passionate about.