The Immigrant's Horror | Teen Ink

The Immigrant's Horror

By chloe_807 BRONZE, Tirana, Other
chloe_807 BRONZE, Tirana, Other

On Tuesday, 17 January 2017, 200 migrants drowned and freezed to death on the first fortnight of 2017, which sets a new record. There have been 226 asylum seekers who wanted to reach Europe. They have suffered rough seas and extreme cold weather, 200 drowned deaths. The Greek border police had to dig over one meter of snow to find a body of a dead man who died after crossing the Evros river near the Turkish border. Officials found two suspected smugglers with seven other asylum seekers, with one who wore wet clothes and needed medication. This was discovered near Feres, the border between Turkey and Greece. Two iraqi men and one Somali woman were found dead in the snow covered Bulgarian mountains, and another Afghan man in Greece.

The international organization for Migration (IOM), said that another cause for refugees’ death was due to hypothermia, while inside the fragile boats which were sent from North Africa to Italy. Many people believe that the refugee issue is a problem without solution, it’s a problem considered daily. European countries consider either deporting them, closing the borders or letting them inside the country and bring them to camps. This has been a debate between countries since many many years. One of the reasons why the population doesn’t want to allow entrance is because there is the fear of somehow affecting the religion and the culture of the specific country. Of course there would be cultural differences which can make the country more special, but the heritage of the country is too deep therefore won’t be affected.

The problem of the immigrants has always been around, but for the past years it touched new records; shown on fig.3 and 4. No one really knows what to do with them since either there might be a majority of people who don’t accept them or there’s not enough space. Many migrants have requested asylums, see fig.1, 2, 5.  I do think that we have to let them in since there homes have been bombed to crumbs and the fear of death is sky high. Those poor people have no home, no money, no freedom and tonnes of fear. They deserve a better life no matter what, they get their life flashed in front of them every day. They should be let in and give them a tiny space to at least eat, drink and rest for a couple of nights.

I don’t understand how people could think that by letting immigrants in their country, their culture would disappear. It’s not possible first because the cultural roots are too deep, and second since everyone now a days know the existence of all the different cultures; no one will forget them therefore the culture would keep on living and won’t be lost. This reminds me a little bit of what happened in the second world war, when the Nazis wanted to burn every existence of the jewish culture, but indeed failed.

I conclude that all countries should let in the immigrants, once the refugees are let in then a country can find a more reasonable solution which many people would approve of, including the actual immigrants. The economical problem is that the money which is there for the refugees hardly arrives to the right place, directly to the people in need. We all should be able, together, to create small jobs to help them gain their own independence and pride.