One More Thing | Teen Ink

One More Thing

By BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida
BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”
G.K. Chesterton

"And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you."
Denis Johnson

If I could accomplish one more thing, I would do everything in my power to make sure and tell the younger generation to always be determined to fulfill their hopes and dreams. The future of the world is on their shoulders, not the adults. Many children go about their day having a dream and some of them are lucky enough to know a friend, teacher, or even a parent to support them and push to be the greatest they could be. Sadly, there’s a few who have a dream but are ridiculed for it, or there are some who are just too scared to chase after it. If there was really only one thing I could do, I would try to make a difference by telling them to pursue their dreams through my writing, which is what I love to do. I would try to make others happy and confident in who they are. Whether they want to be a writer, a teacher, a musician, an artist, a leader, or whatever they want, I’d promote them rather than push them down and tell them to do something that’ll actually help the world. When people tell them that their dream won’t make a difference, they’re lying. If you’re doing what you love, you’re going to do it better than others. The world needs to have heart, not just “work ethic.” You might be doing what you love, but may not be entirely good at it; however, if you love it, then you’ll do the extra hours to perfect it. That’s what the world needs. That’s what children need to know. That’s the one last accomplishment I strive for. I would’ve never thought to pursue my dreams and desire of being a writer if it weren’t for my mom and my creative writing teacher in eighth grade, Mrs. Lemine. I always found joy in writing, but I never thought about actually pursuing anything in that area because I thought I wasn’t good at it. My mom eventually forced me to try and do something with it because I was just too scared to try. I got into an arts high school which is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

Following my acceptance into the school, I was able to meet one of the best teachers I’ve ever met, Mrs. Lemine. My mom taught me to try even if I didn’t think I was good enough. The next thing I had to learn was to believe in myself and know that I tried my best and that I was good. Mrs. Lemine was able to teach me that. I wasn’t able to put down my work, I was only able to promote it and keep striving to do better, but to always be happy with my work. There’s always room for improvement, but if someone’s doing what they love, they get farther in life. That’s why I’d want to show them their potential. I’d show them to try, not to give up, and to strive to get better just I did. Whether or not you get every opportunity you try to get, at least you tried and you shouldn’t have any regrets on it because you know you tried. You can try for other things and get better. I’d push them to do what they love no matter the risk. I’d do that because I was lucky enough to have people do it for me.