The Unlucky One | Teen Ink

The Unlucky One

By NandiniK SILVER, Dalhousie, Other
NandiniK SILVER, Dalhousie, Other

One can consider himself/herself unlucky. Thoughts erupt in the mind, “I am the unluckiest one! Luck never favours me.” Luck does not matter in success or failure. Some of us might believe in our luck. The number thirteen is considered to be the unlucky one by many. Rational thinkers are included in the minority. I used to consider everything related to 13 to be very unlucky – roll no. 13, any multiple of thirteen or even anything of thirteen letters.

Some instances from my life make be believe in this superstition. This year on Friday the thirteenth, all went wrong. Either about studies or anything else, luck did not favor me. Wondering about my poor performance, I realized later that it was wrong to blame a number or Friday; it was my own fault for not preparing well. My roll number was 26 last year which is a multiple of 13. The year brought the worst result in academics and other activities of school. Other unpleasant events came across during that year. I connected these things to my roll number. I have not yet been able to prove myself wrong in this aspect.

Another thing made me shudder. A boy whose roll number was 13; faced many problems as his uncle beat him mercilessly. After some time his performance in academics eventually turned out to be worse than ever. He failed in the finals and could not join the school. Let me think rationally for an instance. It does not bring any bad luck when a person is thirteen years old!

If it does happen, it would happen only to the most superstitious ones or the ones who blame luck for every failure. This could even include me! If I talk about the boy, it can be possible that he did not study properly and this would surely produce an unsatisfactory result. Hard work never goes unrewarded. When my roll number was 26, it was my own thinking to consider it unlucky and hide my own fault of wasting my time and not working hard.

I completely agree with the saying –
“A bad workman blames his tools.”