New Year Disaster | Teen Ink

New Year Disaster

May 27, 2014
By mrs.bieber1 BRONZE, Hemet, California
mrs.bieber1 BRONZE, Hemet, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
imagine the possibilities
if your a bird im a bird


It was new years eve we were having a new years party at the time. It was so much fun filled with colorful confetti and horns and hats apple cider and so much more. Then came the countdown 10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1 HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone shouted we ran outside with our hats and horns and ran down the streets yelling and screaming blowing on our horns. When the party came to an end and everybody went home that is also when I was in for an unsuspected surprise. That night I went over to my grandmothers to keep her company while my grandpa was away. So I sat down and we watched some TV I started getting tired so I decided to get into my coca cola pajama shorts and purple tank top. The next day I woke up and went out back to the fence where my best friend Alethea was waiting for me we talked for a while. Then I went inside the nice cool house and packed my stuff so that my mom could pick me up. Once my mom got there my happy mood kind of changed because my mom didn’t seem to happy as we got into the white suburban and drove home I got a little suspicious and I asked what was wrong she said wait till we get home. So the rest of the car ride we sat in silence. Once we entered the house I ran upstairs to my bright red room and set my heavy bag down and ran back downstairs and sat on the dark brown couch and knew instantly whatever was about to be said was not what I wanted to hear. I was right. The words that sounded like a sharp razor edge these words were to not be repeated the words were your great grandpa died this morning in the hospital. Once those words escaped slowly so did the tears the flowed down slowly one by one and one after another. Why has this happened? Is all could think that’s all that could pass through my empty mind. I slowly pick myself up the couch and bolt up the stairs and lock myself in my dark room so nobody can see me cry. I turn my music up to block out the deafening screams that escape my mouth. The next day at school is horrific I thought I could keep myself together but right when I saw my friends I broke down in tears I thought I could handle people to be around them but I couldn’t I needed to be alone with my roaming thoughts. I finally get through the day and the next day is the funeral to soon way to soon. Once we get there I instantly break down when I see him laying there is his open casket how pale he is but also how peaceful he looks like he could just be sleeping and any minute he could wake up oh how I wish that could happen but I accept the painful fact that he is gone. After we start the funeral I try to stay strong for whoever could be watching me but sadly it doesn’t work the tears burst out of me like a waterfall. The moment when I have to get up there to speak is the moment I'm dreading but it is now that time I shakily walk up there where everyone is staring at me. The words don’t flow so well when I speak and its finally over and I walk back to my seat. Once everyone is done talking we take the brown coffin outside and put it in the ground as family comes to throw flowers and dirt in his grave it is now my turn I grip onto the pink flower as I stare down into his grave it feels that an eternity that I'm standing there but I finally throw the flower down and as I walk away I hear the loud thud of the flower hitting his coffin. We then go into a little hall for snacks and drinks as I sit down all I hear is loud conversations drowning out my thoughts. I then get up and go outside to get a little air and go for a walk and I just think and think about how he is actually gone and just think I don’t believe it, it cant be true but its all so dreadfully true. Even though he is gone doesn’t mean he will ever be forgotten he will be thought about during family get togethers and dinners and everything else he will always be on my mind because if we don’t have memories when they are gone what do we have nothing.


The author's comments:
this piece is all about my grandpa