What It Means to Me | Teen Ink

What It Means to Me

By Tayloki GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Tayloki GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

With eacch jolt of the controller, his feet pick up and dash forward with a speed I have never witnessed before from another human being. A press of a button launches him onto the approaching building, and he begins to scale up the side of it. His feet continue to move with ease up along the grooves and bricks jutting out of the building, and before long, he pulls himself onto the very top. A quick rotation of the camera reveals to me one of the grandest views of Florence, Italy that I could ever ask for; I felt a sense of freedom rushing through me for the first time in what seemed like forever. Nothing else had ever come this close to giving me this sort of rare, wonderful feeling before.

Assassin's Creed II is the name of the game -- which may or may not be known by many -- and it has been one of the biggest influences in my life. I can clearly remember feeling a certain giddiness bubbling up within me as my dad pulled the case out of its plastic bag, and my eager questioning: "Is that it? Did you remember to buy it?" To most people, it may be hard to understand my love and excitement for this game. It might not seem like a big "life-changing" event compared to others' experiences, but for me it was one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. However, whenever I am asked about it, I flash a nervous little smile, and awkwardly reply with: "It's... hard to explain."

To make a somewhat long story short, in Assassin's Creed II, you mainly play as a young, Florentine nobleman -- called Ezio -- who becomes an assassin, seeking vengeance for his slain father, and brothers. This journey of his, however, lasts longer than expected, and you become witness to all the trials and tribulations he must go through throughout his life. Because of this, I could not help but to feel a great sadness as I watched Ezio transform into this tired killer. It reminded me just how cruel life can be to you; so much so that you can even see physical and mental changes. He once had many luxuries in life, and almost no worries... it just didn't seem fair.

I grew an attachment to Ezio for this very reason. I had a pretty good understanding of what he was going through, though my situation at the time was vastly different. I understood what it was like to lose loved ones over issues that seemed so petty, and spiteful. Having these people ripped away from me, and being put through some pretty painful family situations every other month, changed me. I see these changes as both good and bad, since they've made me grow a little wiser; but I am more wary about being around and socializing with people. Whenever I take a look around at my fellow classmates, I can't help but feel the slightest bit envious... everyone seems so outgoing, and well-established in their relationships. For now, though, I am only able to do what I can to get by; speaking when spoken to, trying to pretend that I am this mildly interesting human being, and getting my work done.

When I play Assassin's Creed II, however, I feel like all these problems just drift away. I am free, if only for a little while. I can explore one of my favorite periods in time, the Italian Renaissance, with ease. I see beautifully constructed architecture, sometimes brightly decorated with lanterns, or flower window sills; expertly crafted statues and fountains with intricate designs chiseled into the stone are splayed across the landscape. I can hear the faint hustle and bustle of crowded streets, as Ezio dips and dives through alleyways, trying to make his way to his next destination as quickly as possible. For once, I feel absolutely free.

This game has brought me much joy for the past three or four years, much to the dismay of some people. It has proved to be more than just some quick way of wasting time; it has truly been an experience. It's had a profound impact on me, for which I will always be grateful. It has also given me a sort of "mantra" that I always try my best to live by, which states: "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." This rings true for me in many situations, as I believe that it means you cannot be restricted by any imaginary boundries that you set up for yourself. You need to look out for yourself, as well, and do the right thing, even if it goes against what everyone else wants. This is what I believe will bring me peace of mind, every time I go up against the odds.