The Sense of an Ending | Teen Ink

The Sense of an Ending

By saatvikarathor GOLD, Bangalore, Other
saatvikarathor GOLD, Bangalore, Other

At the ending, it is said that your life flashes past you. As my school days come to a close, I am overwhelmed by a lifetime of memories, the opposing forces of the ephemerality and eternity of fourteen years in deadlock. I look back at these years with sentiment and gratitude towards the school that built me.

I am a kindergarten student who colours inside the lines. I am a second grade student who loves Science. I’m in fifth standard, hurting from the wound of a broken family. I’m an eighth grade student who writes her first poem. I’m an eleventh grade student deeply interested in the brain.

I think of my friends, our fundamental differences and our elemental alikenesses. I am struck by the immediacy and imperishability of a year’s time, of how what we study will be studied aeons after our time and the only learning is the meaning that we take with us from our lessons.

When I look up at the sky in school I feel home, comforted by the nuturing support surmounted by her walls. On my last day, I look back on fourteen years of memories shut away in my childhood and witness the birth of a new beginning. Although I can’t believe it, I’m told that our lives are just about to begin. As part of the generation about to take on the world as an adult, I can’t wait.