New Years | Teen Ink

New Years

By Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota
Mantequilla SILVER, Eagan, Minnesota

I think a lot of holidays are either a load of crap or just plain sad. Take for example today’s Christmas and Easter. We’ve totally missed the point of those holidays. Now they’re just a marketing/shopping frenzy. And Thanksgiving? Yeah, no way t oshow contentment like shopping till you literally drop the next day. New Years is no different. It was a particularly rainy New years, which was incredibly strange for Minnesota. Our snow total had peaked at six inches over Thanksgiving break. Now I was home alone at 9:02 while everyone else in my family was at a party (except my cat and fish of course). I wasn’t really bored or sad though. I was more…confused and only slightly depressed.

I sat at my kitchen table pondering who my true friends were , and where all of my relationships were headed. Thery were strange thoughts for “New Years, but it wasn’t exactly the snowy, pictueresque, awe-inspiting, romantic scene most people thought of. Right then I personally saw the holiday as a lame one. A time for theose corny “New Years Resolutions” to be broken, and excuse for boys to smooch their sweethearts, a time for that “one mor drink, it’s New Years after all.” An excuse to stay up later. A reason to throw a party. A time for over 1 million people to stand like itiots watching a ball slide down a pole. IU was it as just another day out of the 365.25. Just another 24 hours of the same old, same old. And I still do.

It's true. You don't have to agree, though. Some people think New Years is a very celebratory time, and I respect that.