My Dad Survived A Terrorist Attack | Teen Ink

My Dad Survived A Terrorist Attack

By Kripich BRONZE, Avon, Ohio
Kripich BRONZE, Avon, Ohio

A normal day, or so my dad thought. My father, a 28 year old man from Rocky River, Ohio had survived a terrorist attack. He had just started his work through our family business. It is a smaller steel fabricating business located in Cleveland, Ohio. My dad was raised in this business. It was everything he had and everything he knew. Young and inexperienced he was; unaware of any troubles in the world. Just a man trying to start up his life and support a future family. Most people who survive a tragic incident, such as a terrorist attack, never expect what is in store for them that day.

My dad was all ready to leave the house. He had his suitcase, his ticket, and all the other necessities. He flew out on February 25th in the year 1993. It was only a two day trip, so he planned to arrive back in Cleveland on the night of the 26th. My dad endured the hour flight and did not have any business to accomplish on that Thursday. He decided to just have a relaxed day in the big city. No real worries on his mind. Just an average business trip for him.

February 26, 1993 in New York City, the unthinkable happened. American Tank had a big business meeting in the World Trade Center building, also known as, “The Twin Towers.” My dad had checked out of his hotel that morning. All of his belongings were brought with so that he could leave from there to the airport. During the meeting, a loud and extremely ferocious, “Bang!” was let out. Jokingly, everyone thought it was nothing. They were quite wrong. Thick, grey, smoke filled the building. Sirens and screams all around. Everyone was told to evacuate immediately. My dad, frozen with fear, could not figure out what to do. Quickly, he ran to the nearest stairwell. Women were crying and men were freaking out, just waiting for further directions. Answers were needed and they were needed fast. My dad rushed down the steps, hoping to get out alive. He had taken some of his time to help others as best as he could. In the most intense situation of his life, my dad thought of helping others. Selflessness is hard to do at a time like that. As he climbed lower, the smoke became thicker. Barely able to see, my dad had to follow the voices of the first responders and the screams of the others. He just wanted this madness to end.

Finally, he reached the bottom floor. Choking on ash, covered in soot, and trying to catch his breath, my dad called my mother, Mary which was his girlfriend, his parents immediately. They had seen it on the news minutes before his phone call. My dad had not believed what he endured. After getting out and realizing everything that just happened, my dad had figured out that all of his belongings were in the building. My dad was later informed that it was a terrorist attack. Two vans in the basement were filled with thousands of pounds of explosives. The attempt was a failure, as the building did not fall. It had been recorded as the first terrorist attack on American soil. Six were killed and thousands were injured. My dad, in disbelief, had realized that a guardian angel was watching over him in a time of need. He made sure to count his blessings.

The plane ride home was a long one, as my dad could not wait to get home. He had finally arrived, but did not have to pick up any bags because they were all in the Twin Towers. He ran right outside and broke down after seeing my mom and grandparents. They greeted him with a huge hug and made sure that he was okay. He was finally back where he belonged and he will never forget this terrifying experience. Everyday he is thankful for his life. My dad makes sure to never let us or himself take life for granted. Everything we do and say is blessed by God.

This piece is 100% true and it is very moving.