My First Year of Marching Band | Teen Ink

My First Year of Marching Band

April 25, 2016
By jared032401 BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Ohio
jared032401 BRONZE, Mount Sterling, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My first time on the field was like no other feeling in the world. It was amazing and I was so proud of myself for what I had achieved. So first I am going to tell what I had to go through. In marching band you would only know this if you have done it. It's not so easy it's hard you have to stay out in the heat going over music and places. It's not easy people I'm telling you it's hard but it's so much fun. You will work your butt off but the first time you march on the field and hear the people cheering and the people saying “Ladies and Gentlemen Put Your Hands Together For the Pride of the Westfall Mustangs” or whatever school you are at.


So if you ever decide to join band make sure to do it and enjoy every second of it. Your section leaders or seniors are just amazing. Coming from the seniors they have done this over and over and they tell you all the things that they have done and you just think could I have the chance to do this because it sounds awesome. Your first competition is amazing. The times you get home are so funny getting home at almost midnight. Then you also get to watch the other bands play.


One of my favorite things at a band competition is the music. The music is amazing to hear from the other bands. There is amazing songs coming from all different bands, that are so amazing. Plus you get to hear all the dynamics and different styles of music.


Another great thing about marching band is your friends. You get to see all of your friends and get to talk and have a great time. You get to go and walk around and get food and drinks and eat with your friends. One super big thing that makes you and your friends so close is when you get ready to go on the field and your friends tell you good luck you’ll do great.


So I will be completely honest with you. If you do marching band you're going to hate band camp. In band camp it is hot and sometimes humid. So, you have to stand outside and go over all of your drills and music. It's not easy but it’s fun, sounds amazing, and looks great. Then there is staying after school for band. Now my band we stay after school till 5 and we get out of school at 2:25. So that's a long time and is really hard.


But it really does pay off in the end. Throughout it all you get to do so much. There are so many freedoms and abilities to do things. That maybe you have never done. This was the first time my mom really let me do anything without a parent around. Like me and my friends would go and get food and walk around and just hang out. Was my mom scared to death yes. She would always tell me it's not you it's the world out there, there are some crazy people out there. All I could ever think is “can this woman just shut up”. But I never said that. But yes there are many new freedoms to marching band.


Also if you get the chance you could upgrade your instrument. That's always the best part is when you get to play a new instrument. I play the saxophone and I'm a freshman so next year I get to play baritone saxophone. I am so happy to be able to do that. There are so many different options to like trombone goes to tuba, clarinet goes to bass clarinet, flute goes to piccolo, and saxophones can go to tenor or baritone. But if you're in percussion you just play anything. But many people decide that they want to stay at their instrument, but it is an experience that is amazing.


Now my favorite thing about marching band was the music, the music is amazing. Our show was titled “Dark Shadows”. We played music from sleepy hollow, Jaclyn hide, and twilight. We had a couple solos too. From our baritone saxophone playing Bella's lullaby, A trumpet playing music from Jaclyn hide, and a trumpet duet in sleepy hollow music. They were all amazing the played so pretty.


The author's comments:

My first year was absolutly amazing. It was an experiance i had never known.