A Very Important Stepping Stone | Teen Ink

A Very Important Stepping Stone

November 7, 2014
By CourtneyCutie97 BRONZE, Tonawanda, New York
CourtneyCutie97 BRONZE, Tonawanda, New York
4 articles 5 photos 0 comments

I believe that people change; sometimes in a good way, but sometimes in a bad way. Nevertheless the outcome is only what you make of it. Throughout my experiences with people, they always change. No matter how old or young they are, they change; but you have to look at it in a positive way to be a happy person.


My former best friend, Mollie (who was my opposite), and I were like sisters, attached at the hip. In fact, you wouldn’t see one of us without the other. The summer before high school was already a big leap. However, when I found out I had gotten a best friend I was ecstatic. Knowing that I had someone close to me to help me out through high school was an amazing feeling, but both of us always were worried about what other people thought of us. High school kids are judgmental.


Mollie and I were friends our entire freshman year, but then sophomore year came and things went downhill. For instance, both Mollie and I knew I was going to a camp for the last seven weeks of summer. Then school would come, and we would do our thing like the year before. She was distraught, I was distraught, and we didn’t know what we would do without each other for that long. I encouraged her to find people to hang out with because I didn’t want her sitting in her room all day everyday moping around like Eeyore. She took my advice and started hanging out with other people. Unfortunately, she started hanging out with this girl from school named Sandy that I really did not care for. Sandy was always mean to people. She was a bully. She is a bully. Mollie began changing. Mollie was officially a chameleon in my mind. But instead of changing colors in case of a predator, she changed to be the predator. She changed colors so that she could attack different animals in different ways. I felt that she was always out to get me from then on. I felt that this was because of Sandy. I was absolutely devastated when I came home to find out that Mollie did not want to be my friend anymore because she was told she had to choose between me and Sandy. This hurt me a lot but forever changed me and my story.


As an individual, I believe that people change. Whether good or bad, the outcome is only what you make of it. I made this displeasing outcome into a positive learning experience. I am no longer the person that was tearing my family apart and getting into trouble. Though, now I am a young lady who treasures friends as a pirate would to his jewels. This is what I learned.


The author's comments:

Growing up with only a few friends was difficult. Especially when all of my other friends had a whole group of people. But when you meet someone that seems like a sister or brother to you, everything gets better. And then if/when they leave out of no where, you feel stuck...lost. This is my story about how a friend betrayed me, and I turned it into the best possible situation it could be.