My Humble Hero: My Aunt Mary | Teen Ink

My Humble Hero: My Aunt Mary

May 11, 2018
By Anonymous

One of my heroes is my Aunt Mary because of her resilience and humility in tough times and in everyday life. A few years ago, my uncle, her husband, died suddenly only months after he turned fifty, and it greatly affected our entire family as my family is extremely close. However, she helped get her life get back on track after his death as she became a single mom to my two cousins, but she wasn’t afraid to ask my family for help, despite the distance between us. Sometimes, it can be really hard to ask for help as it can “show weakness”, but she put that aside and asked her and my family for help through this time. In the years following, she became stronger as person in her battle of being a single mom and being diagnosed with breast cancer, and recently, she got married to someone she (and my family) loves very much. However, throughout her entire journey, she has stayed completely humble and grateful. She has never been prideful or arrogant, instead being kind to others and treating everyone equally. She has also been extremely grateful for all of her loved ones and everything she’s been given, and she takes nothing for granted. Overall, this is why my Aunt Mary is my role model and hero: she’s humble, grateful, and resilient- all traits I hope to receive one day.