Honor Flight Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Honor Flight Letter to a Veteran

By bambi99 BRONZE, Colgate, Wisconsin
bambi99 BRONZE, Colgate, Wisconsin

You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice.
-Bob Marley

Dear Wisconsin Vietnam Veteran,

I am reaching out to you because I know serving in the Vietnam War might not have been your choice, but I still think it takes a lot to be able to come home and not given the proper thanks. I just want to thank you for your courage. It must have been hard to drop everything in your life to fight at such a young age and I greatly appreciate you doing that.

My name is Victoria Doro. I am 18-years-old. I have been thinking of going into the military. I want to become a welder and I know there are many jobs in the military for me. I have always wanted to make a difference and I think serving our country (like you did) will be a great place to do that. What did you do when you served?

My great grandfather served in the Air Force during WWII working on equipment, making sure everything was ready and safe for war. He went on the Honor Flight a few years before he passed and I was too young to ever thank him properly and understand what he all went through. I want to give you that proper thank you.

I watched the Honor Flight video from 2015 and it inspired me to write to you. I want to give you the welcome home that you deserve and thank you for everything that you have done.

Being a patriot is being able to accept our past, not trying to hide it, and not getting offended when people bring up our past. If we did not know the history or try to hide it, it will eventually come back and repeat itself. Being patriotic is being able to not being offended when the flag is flown anywhere. I thank you for being a patriot and for inspiring others (like me) to be patriots as well.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Victoria D.

This is a letter to a veteren going on the Wisconsin Honor Flight to Washington D.C.