My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

October 18, 2017
By Jonny_f_basketball BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
Jonny_f_basketball BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My hero is my safta. Safta means grandma in Hebrew.  My Safta is my hero because she lost her husband at an extremely young age of 36 and she raised her kids independently. She is also my hero because she sacrifices so much to help my brother, sister, and I.
    
 When my Safta’s husband died, she was only 36. The death of her husband was extremely sudden. Safta was forced to raise 3 kids, my two aunts and my mom, independently. She worked several hour shifts while battling depression to raise her kids. This was very hard for her, but she never gave up. I look up to her for this because it shows men that there are no excuses to not work hard, just like she worked hard to independently raise her three kids.

    

I also look up to my saffa because she loves her family. She drives an hour to Boca just to take my brother and sister to dinner for a half hour. She buys us anything we want when she takes us shopping. She cheers us on at our sporting events. This shows me how important family is and no matter what you are going through, family can help you through it.

 

In conclusion, I look up to my safta because she is very motivating and she loves her family. My safta has overcome the worst in her life and single handedly raised her kids in New York City. I love her so much and I will always be inspired by her.