My Historical Hero | Teen Ink

My Historical Hero

By Serenda PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Serenda PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin

“Amber,” my first grade teacher says, “you will do your project on Clara Barton.” Every year first graders had to do a project on a historical figure and I ended up getting Mrs. Barton. At the time I didn’t even the know the name Clara Barton, but she would soon be my hero.

Barton started one of the world’s most famous and successful nonprofit organizations, the American Red Cross. Clara Barton was an American nurse during the Civil War. She was known for her care and compassion in helping wounded soldiers, and she made nursing what it is today. After the war, she spent time in Europe in which she took the information she learnt and applied it to her new organization, the American Red Cross. The organization grew and is now more successful than ever.

She is a huge inspiration to me and many other people in the world. Clara barton showed the world that nursing and giving to other people is important.  She is the reason why I want to be the medical field today. I learnt from her that helping people is a lifetime goal and that’s what I want to do with my life.