A Stinky Cure | Teen Ink

A Stinky Cure

August 27, 2015
By ShalomHi BRONZE, Phx, Arizona
ShalomHi BRONZE, Phx, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"ain't I women", by sojourner truth


It's the middle of the day for 24-year-old research assistant Eric, in Medford, MA. He leaves his job and hops on a train passing countless toliets. Finally, Eric arrives at a nondescript men's room 30 minutes away from MIT. It's just your plain old restroom but, the one thing about this is it can save lives. Eric places the collection bag in the bowl and does his business he then places the lid on it and walks to OpenBiome, a small laboratory northwest of Boston.Eric has made 10.6 pounds of waste over 29 visits, enough feces to produce 133 treatments for patients suffering from Clostridium difficile, an infection that kills 15,000 Americans a year and sickens half a million. OpenBiome's poop donors have created about 5,000 treatments, and the organization says the results have been stunning. Stinky human waste is an astonishingly simple cure: 90% of the patients get better. So, thank you Eric and others who are poop donors.


The author's comments:

I was looking online for that may inspire me then I came across the most insane article titled "One man's poop is another man's cure" by John Bonifield and Elizabeth Cohen, I was postively sure it was some kind of joke but, I still skimmed it and as I skimmed a little more I realized it was real and was inspired to write a whole article about life saving feces.