A Thank You Letter This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

To My English Teacher, 

Thank you.

I don’t imagine you comprehend what that means. I’ll go into detail.

Thank you for influencing me to write.

Thank you for compelling me to work persistently, and diligently.

Thank you for encouraging me to continue, even when I struggled through the deprivation of motivation.

Thank you for the things you said to guide my improvement. 

Thank you for letting me barrage you with teasing words, and thank you for returning the favor.

Thank you for continuing to force our track team to run lines on the field when a discus was left out, even when I begged you to stop, and told you I’d write a 10 page essay about track.

Thank you for accepting my 20 page essay the next day, in comic sans (because I know you hate that font) and in Swedish (I said it’d be bad.)

Thank you for your diligence, patience, and vigilance.

Thank you for telling me that if I wanted to get published, I’d have to keep trying, that I’d genuinely have to want a piece to be read by others.

Thank you for letting me spend 15 minutes finding a book in your in-class library.

Thank you for suggesting a book after 16 minutes or searching.

Thank you for knowing exactly the kind of books I subconsciously wanted to read.

Thank you for respecting my request that you don’t read over my shoulder.

Thank you for having your moments when you truly were inspiring.

Thank you. No really, thank you.

I have improved a seemingly perpetual amount over the last two years. I would be exactly where I started if you hadn’t been the one to tell me I should try doing “this” and to work on “that.”

Eight months ago, I didn’t know I wanted to be published until you said: “If any of my students get published in a magazine, or win a writing contest, I will buy them their first fountain pen.”

I can’t thank you enough. This little piece will never fully encompass how much you’ve done. Congratulations, you have set the Worlds Highest Standard for English Teachers.

Sincerely,

A Forever Indebted Student.

PublishThisArticleTI said...
May 30, 2015 at 12:04 am
if this doesn't end up in the next magazine, I'm literally going to have a break down. I love this because it's simple, but it's meaningful. Keep writing!!!

pizzapizzamonkey said...
May 29, 2015 at 10:16 am
I love the personal feelings in this, like, it isn't fiction and I think thats what makes it so good.

CaliforniaSunn said...
May 29, 2015 at 10:06 am
This fills my heart. If there was feeling you got across, it was that warm, fuzzy feeling. Great job.

peaceonearth2i said...
May 29, 2015 at 12:34 am
Good luck! I loved this piece, your teacher sounds amazing. No wonder you're such a great writer!

Grassyyy21 said...
May 29, 2015 at 12:18 am
i love this. so good. hope you get published

secretperson59 said...
This needs to be in the June edition. I love it!

grammarnatzi said...
Amazing. Only one typo tho, but still great.

ilovetoeat83 said...
Your English teacher sounds awesome. Did you really write a 20 page essay?? Thats amazing XD

ImAsleep said...
This is so cute!!!!

Writer1234 said...
I want this on paper omg

PuppiesandPi20 said...
This is a beautiful piece. I love how you signed it, teachers really are the final piece in the puzzle of a persons life. I can really relate to this, my teachers have done so much. I'm happy to see someone put it down on paper in such a meaningful manner. Good luck on getting published!

McKenziePoodle said...
This is so sweet! I want to see this in the next magazine!

SunnyGirl said...
I saw this on one of your social media accounts, and I thought "why not?" I didn't really know what to expect, but to see a young person this dedicated to something they love is amazing. I hope you succeed.

LinseyPie345 said...
I hope you get published! That'd be amazing if this is what your teacher saw when they read the magazine! Good luck!

Wifi1425 said...
This is very good!