A True Hero | Teen Ink

A True Hero

Maya Angelou said “I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.” A hero is someone who is strong and makes the world a better place through their strength. My mom was born March 1975, in Nevada. As a child, my mom grew up without a dad and moved back and forth between Oregon and California, this made her strong. In 1995, my parents married and had 5 kids by 2002, the struggles she went through as a wife made her independent. My mom will forever be my hero because the challenges she faced in her life are great memories to be passed on to future generations.

My mom was a hero as child because she was strong. Her dad left a few months after her birth, and she never let that faze her. When she was six years old, her step-dad committed suicide. Although she went through several losses as a child, she was always iron-willed.

My mom was a hero as an adult because she was independent. My dad worked in another city six days a week until he was imprisoned. My mom was left taking care of five kids basically on her own. My mom’s family members didn’t want to help her financially either. My mom is an independent woman.

When my mom was in her mid-thirties, she met a guy who introduced her to drugs. They dated for three years, and by then she was addicted. While she was with this guy she was verbally and physically abused. I am proud of her because she overcame the fear she had and was finally in control of herself, like she had been before.

Everyone will be remembered, maybe not by the nation or the world, buy by their children and grandchildren. My mom will be remembered by me until I die. She may not be the best person in the world, and have a few flaws, but I will always love her. She has been through hell and back, but still, manages to put a smile on her beautiful face.

My mom will forever be my hero. She is strong. She is independent. She is in control. Joseph Campbell said, “You are the hero of your own story.” All I can think about when I read this quote is my mom.

jaydaug BRONZE said...
on Apr. 17 2015 at 9:56 am
jaydaug BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier die but once." -Tupac Shakur

@Noctiluca Thank you! It was kind of hard for me to write about this because of the things I had to go through with her, but I'm glad I did

Noctiluca GOLD said...
on Apr. 17 2015 at 7:22 am
Noctiluca GOLD, Hyderabad, Other

"While some seek to find themselves, I shall seek to create myself."

Loved it! i can relate to this. my mom has been through a lot in her life and has encountered the harsh faces of the real world all by herself and lived alone. Keep writing!!