The Unsung Hero | Teen Ink

The Unsung Hero

By idontcare89078 BRONZE, Shawnee, Kansas
idontcare89078 BRONZE, Shawnee, Kansas

One unsung hero in my life is my “Elijah”, Blake Newson. He came up to me one day and say “Hey, I wondered if I could be your Elijah and you could be my Elisha.” For those of you that don’t know, Elijah is a prophet in the Bible. He took Elisha under his wing and mentored him. I had always thought of him as my Elijah before that but now I really knew God put him in my life to be my Elijah. There is a story when Elijah takes his cloak off and puts it on Elisha. So, naturally, Blake takes off his jacket and puts it on me. I wasn’t cold but it shows you the humor that a mentor can have as well as being influential in your life.

Blake is very wise and funny at the same time. The part that makes him an unsung hero is the part where he never takes the glory for himself. He is a very talented musician. He plays guitar very well and has a beautiful voice, but he never praises himself. It’s all about the glory to God. He is so impactful to the way I walk in my life. A lot of people say that you should never want somebody else to dictate the way you live your life. The way I see it is that if you have someone in your life that can help you as much as he helps me than you should listen to them. Many people think they have the whole life thing figured out, but the truth is they are worse off than someone who seeks help.
Blake never seeks the approval of others because their opinions don’t matter to him. All that matters to him is that God receives all the glory. Of course Blake isn’t perfect and sure he has some flaws, but this is what sets him apart is this. Are you listening? Ok. He does not let his flaws define him. What defines him is his identity in Christ. That’s all that matters right? What other people think and say about us does not matter if we look at ourselves and see Christ. That is what Blake does. He is God’s servant. He does anything God asks him too. He is a great man of God and he shows that daily. That is what makes Blake an unsung hero.