Queen of Life | Teen Ink

Queen of Life

February 1, 2015
By Anonymous

As I get into the car each day as I go home from school, my mom greets me with a smile and says “ Como te fue hora? “  She makes sure that my day went well by asking me a bunch of questions of what I did. There is never a day that goes by of when my mom makes sure I am doing okay. My mother has been through many challenges in her life that she doesn’t want that to happen to me. My mom is the most hard working, thoughtful, caring person I have ever met. I would never want to replace her.


Like many other people my mother has been through many challenges in her life. Starting from when she was young to present day. As a child, she had to take care of all of her 7 siblings because she is the oldest. She always helped her mother in the house, and she helped make money. My mother was a seamstress in her town in Mexico starting at the age of 14. She now works with my father in his business.  She tells me that day and night she would be working with her old sewing machine. My grandmother would always tell her that she needs to take a break. However, my mom always said “ Yo quiero lo mejor para nuestra familia y con este trabajo voy hacer exitosa. “ The days she tells me these stories we are always with our entire family including my aunts and uncles. We tell stories, and she always tells us about her tough job. She could never say no to anyone when they wanted her to make a dress for them. My mom would be working on one dress when someone would walk into the house and ask her if she could make one for them. As caring as she was, she never wanted to let any of her customers down and she would say yes. My mother believed that if she worked hard she would make her family have the best life.


When my mother came to the United States with my father at the age of 26, they settled in and started a new life. My father had decided to come to the United States because he had found a job the first time he came to the United Stated. He went back to Mexico to get my mother and bring her to the U.S. Time went by and she had 4 daughters. My grandmother (her mom) who had came to the United States around 4 years after my mother was here would help her out with her daughters all of the time. I could just say that my grandmother and my mom were best friends. I remember the day when I came home and I saw my mom in the kitchen making food for us. She called me and my three sisters to the kitchen so she could talk to us. I could see her face begin to tear up, and I didn’t know what was going on. She started to speak but then she started crying. I began to hug her because I didn’t know what else to do. At last, she told us that my grandma had gone to the doctor, and they said that she had cancer and there was no treatment . Once she said the word cancer she ran to her room and started crying. I could feel how sad she was because  she was going to lose her best friend. Every day and night my mom would be with my grandma. There was not one day that my mom left her side. My mom would sit beside her bed and tell her stories and just talk to her. One day all of my cousins and all of my grandmas daughters and sons were beside her. We were all talking to her even though she couldn’t respond, and then she all of a sudden stopped breathing. My mothers heart dropped and she didn’t know what to feel. With her hands on her face and tears streaming she tried to make herself stop so her siblings could see that she is strong. From this day on my mom has been like a mother to her siblings. She calls each and everyone one of them each day to make sure that they are doing well. To me my mom is like a superhero who can never be taken down.


For around three years my mother had to be both mom and dad for me and my sisters. I remember the day that I had to hug my dad goodbye in the morning before I went to school. I could see my moms eyes getting watery and her lips beginning to quiver. Unfortunately my father had to spend three years incarcerated for driving under the influence. My mother had to take care of my fathers business while he was gone. She would make sure everything from the business was on task, and she made sure that we were okay. Occasionally she would ask me “ Como te sientes con la situacion con tu papa?”  As usual, I would cry in the middle of when I was saying that I was okay. But she always said “ No estes seria mija, todo va a salir bien “ She would go on with her day and made sure we had fun. My mother makes sure she takes care of herself as well. Each Sunday she leaves to her therapist with a big smile and her shining light brown eyes. My mom makes me happy, and she inspires me because she wants the best for herself to. She has spent so many years doing favors for others that she has never done anything for herself.


My mom is my superhero. Each and everyday she puts on her cape and makes sure her daughters have a safe, and wonderful day. She never lets anything bring her down. My mom is the biggest inspiration in my life. She has taught me to never give up even if it seems like the world is about to end. Through all of her challenges she has become a strong and courageous person. My mom is the best.