So there's this girl... | Teen Ink

So there's this girl...

June 4, 2011
By Charly11d7 GOLD, Cumming, Georgia
Charly11d7 GOLD, Cumming, Georgia
12 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want" Psalm 23:1


So there’s this girl. She’s perfectly pretty. Even though she wears glasses, she’s the type of girl, that when she walks into a room, everyone wants to be like her. I’ve never seen her frown. I have seen her cry, but those were tears of joy. She has never worn anything inappropriate, skirts to the knee, shirts to her collarbone, but she doesn’t need skimpy clothes to be popular. Everyone naturally gravitates to her, and she accepts and talks to everyone. Even me.
I’m the kind of girl that no one ever notices. I wear glasses and conservative clothes, but I don’t pull it off like she does. But she notices me. When I’m alone and sad, she always seem to be there to pull me into the crowd, she sits next to me. She never really talks to me, but she seems like, if I just talked to her, she would.

The weekend rolls around, it’s summer, and I’m locked up in my room doing summer reading when I get a call. It’s her. She hasn’t seen me at church in a while, or at the mall and she got worried. I tell her I’ve been busy and make an excuse to hang up. That night, when I’m all alone and the folks have gone to bed, she comes to my door. She has ice cream. I reluctantly let her in. Then we talk. Mainly, she listens and I talk. Telling her about my problems and sadness and how much I want to be like her. She laughs when I say that. Then she talks. She tells me that she was just like me. Even worse than me. She tells me that she was so awkward, even she didn’t like herself. She tells me that it’s okay. That I don’t have to hide, that I can be myself. I don’t really listen, even though she was handing me the equivalent to social gold.
She leaves and I go back to being my mousy self, alone and awkward. Then school rolls around again and I see her. I remember our talk. I wonder if she does. I walk up to her; she’s with all her friends. I say hi, she tells me to sit down and all her friends agree. At first I don’t get it. Why do they want to hang out with me? But then I start to see it, I start to see me. All because of her. She saved me from myself. I wouldn’t be anything without her. So thank you Juni. Thank you for letting me really see myself.


The author's comments:
Juni is a real person. I owe her so much, since that summer we've been best friends for almost 4 years.