U.S Coast Guard: "Unsung Heroes" | Teen Ink

U.S Coast Guard: "Unsung Heroes" MAG

A hero to me is someone who will put his or her life on the line to save a stranger, someone dedicated to helping others in any way possible. I would like to appreciate some heroes who often don’t get recognized. I am talking about the United States Coast Guard – a group of courageous men and women who put their lives at risk to help others.

The Coast Guard doesn’t just save people from sinking ships like in the movies; they also help cities during disasters, guard our borders at sea, apprehend illegal drug dealers, and much more.

The reason I consider them heroes is because they do an important job that not many of us would want to do, like jumping out of a helicopter into freezing water to save someone you don’t know. Our country is lucky to have courageous people like them to do these important and dangerous jobs.

The men and women of the Coast Guard are sometimes known as unsung heroes – regular people changing lives every day. That is what I call a hero.

on Apr. 13 2010 at 2:31 pm
My grandaughter is in the Coast Guard and she and her boat mat4es recently saved a woman (and mother) from drowing after he outrigger broke on her canoe off the jersey coast.  These young people saved her and the best part is that she sent them a BIG THANK YOU AND A PICTURE TO THOSE ON THE BOAT.  so many never say thank you and I think that's so important. thanks for letting me share.

on Feb. 25 2009 at 4:24 pm
Colt Barker BRONZE, Charlestown, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This is great!! I'm belated to see that someone has recognized such important people. I'm planning on going into the Coast Guard and i appreciate that someone let everyone know how important they are.

abbagrl said...
on Jan. 24 2009 at 4:23 pm
hey, this is a great piece, i wonder if you know that there is a song called unsung heroes. it is a great song and u should listen to it, it is very powerful

Beckkyyyy* said...
on Nov. 14 2008 at 12:50 pm
Great Job =) ; This is a very good peice. Keep up the amazing work : )

on Nov. 3 2008 at 10:29 pm
I would like to thank the writer of this article. I am 19 and I recently married a memeber of the U.S. Coast Guard. He has been out to sea since we got married and he will be returning in 8 days! The Coast Guard is often looked over but without them many lives would be lost. My husband will soon be joining a helicopter crew running rescue missions. I am proud of the work that all of the men and women of the United States Coast Guard. Thank you again for recognizing these brave men and women!