Dear Mrs. Smeeton | Teen Ink

Dear Mrs. Smeeton

Dear Mrs. Smeeton,

No amount of words accurately depicts the huge difference you made in my life and how you turned me into a better person. A teacher not only guides you in the right direction but helps you in succeeding. Everyday you make that impact on my life. You encourage me to dig deeper, to follow my dreams, and most importantly, you never give up on me. I not only consider you my teacher, but a true friend who consoles me when I feel upset, picks me up when I fall, and congratulates me when I succeed. I know to count on you for the support and guidance I need to prosper in life.

Ever since the day I walked into your classroom, you taught me to dig deeper and find superior information even though it may take a little extra effort or time to locate. Each day I entered your classroom as a girl who barely knew anything and walked out feeling accomplished of all I managed to discover. Before taking any of your classes I always decided to take the “easy way out” with projects and used basic information that took me no longer than a few minutes to find. You helped change this. You showed me how everything contains another layer if you just look hard enough. You inspired me to spend more time on my projects, and to really try to learn the material and expand my knowledge. I found information that no one else found and presented information no one else knew. I now understand what substantive information really means and how to exceed the expected. You not only taught me to dig deeper in school but also in life. You explained to me how we, as people, carry no right to judge people without walking in their shoes first. We never know what someone goes through in their life, positive or negative, and therefore, our job lies in finding out so we make accurate inferences. Thank you for teaching me important life lessons.

You also inspire me to follow my dreams. I always dreamed of a career in medicine. However, as I grew up my dream seemed less and less likely to happen.  Sometimes I thought I failed to carry what it takes to pursue my career as a doctor and other times I felt I dreamed too high. Either way, I lost hope until you encouraged me to never lose faith. You told me our dreams only come true when we believe in our abilities. You believed in me and saw my potential when I failed to see it myself. This helped me to trust myself. Your persistence, and faith in me gave me courage and hope for the future. Even when I constantly make mistakes, you never give up on me. I now know the possibility of accomplishing whatever I set my mind to, thanks to your support. I feel very lucky to say I received a teacher like you.

Along with inspiring me, you also act as my role model. I admire you so much. You make each and every kid feel special and make them comfortable acting as themselves. I remember when my friend went through a tough time. People constantly made fun of her and she felt very upset and acted very self-consciously. You helped her learn to accept herself. Similar to my friend, you changed many children’s lives, including mine. You know how to put a smile on someone’s face and how to respond to different situations. You taught me more about life than any other teacher and showed me how different people carry different perspectives and we must learn to accept that. I hope I grow up to act as loving and understanding as you. Thank you for transforming me for the better and I know each kid who sat through any of your class now looks at life in a new light.