Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By EricMatamoros568 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
EricMatamoros568 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Educator of the Year
Mrs. Wood

School isn’t my favorite place to be for five days of the week, especially when I’m tired and don’t feel like being there. But on the days I had Mrs. Wood’s science class, I would actually enjoy going to school, knowing that I could look forward to her class. She was the brightest, funniest, and the kindest teacher I have ever had, and she would always tell the class the best stories that would make us all laugh. Mrs. Wood taught science very well, and with my interest in the subject, I paid attention all the time, unlike some of my other classes where I might sometimes stare off into space and not pay attention.

Of all my science teachers, Mrs. Wood was the best. It’s not only the things we learned in her class that made it fun like twisting water bottles and blowing the cap off, or studying the forecast of each day before we started class; it was the way she taught the class. She made each subject very captivating and interesting. She would create fun simulations for the class to take part in and further educate the understanding of the subject. And most of all, I appreciated the time she puts into all her work. Mrs. Wood would always grade our papers nice and fast, she would create good notes that would help us for upcoming quizzes and tests, and she provided the best ways for us to have fun, safe labs.

Mrs. Wood was one of my favorite teachers that I could joke around with; some teachers I have had in the past were very strict and would never laugh at people’s jokes, but with Mrs. Wood she would tell the class a funny story and have the whole class laughing. Because of this everyone could get along with her really well, and she connected with the students very easily. She was also very caring; for example, she taught my older brother and she always asked me how he was doing, she would also ask all of the kids in class if we got into the high schools we wanted to get in to and she even gave us recommendations to help us get into these schools. Things like this made me feel very close to her.

Mrs. Wood was very helpful. She would always be there if you needed help with a lesson we were learning in her class, and she would describe the problem perfectly, always helping me figure out what I was doing wrong. I still use information that I received from her last year. So this really gives me an upper hand against other students and helps me better understand new subjects that build on top of the ones Mrs. Wood taught me.

Of all the teachers I have had in my life, Mrs. Wood was the first to come to mind to nominate for Educator of the Year. Out of everyone that I talked to, they all suggested Mrs. Wood to be nominated. That just shows that she is a great teacher when all her students she taught liked her so much. I think she deserves this award because she is very hard working, and not to mention that she is the coach for Quiz Bowl, a trivia group where other schools compete against each other, and she has had teams make it very far in these competitions. If you got to meet Mrs. Wood, you would understand why nominated her for Educator of the Year.