Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

Have you ever had a science class that you look forward to? It doesn’t happen often. But when you have a teacher like Mrs. Rheineck, it’s more then a science class. It’s a science class where learning is easy and fun. There is no buckling down to a huge textbook (that weighs a hundred pounds) or listening to a teacher lecture about something I don’t care about. She is a science teacher I want for the rest of my life.

My experience with Mrs. Rheineck didn’t start with science class, but with her as my tutor. I was always a weak reader and wasn’t getting any better. My parents told me I needed to be tutored. Not only did I not want to be tutored, but I was also embarrassed to be.
One day after school, I went into the library with my mom for my first tutoring session. I had no idea who was tutoring me. My mom practically had to drag me into the library. The first thing we did was play a game to get to know each other and get rid of the awkwardness. We didn’t even play a reading game.
We also went around the library and I got to pick out a book I wanted to read. She didn’t make me read a boring textbook about something I didn’t care about. I didn’t even pick a book. I picked out a magazine about remote control cars. I thought to myself, how bad could it be? I get to read about remote control cars. She told me even though I am reading a magazine, I am still reading. After the first magazine, she picked out a book she liked. I would read a chapter and then she would read a chapter to me, this way I didn’t have to read for long periods of time.
As I got better and faster at reading, I was able to read two chapters in the same amount of time, which used to take me to read one chapter.
Mrs. Rheineck should Educator of the Year because she not only makes a fun learning environment in a science classroom, but because she isn’t afraid to help outside the classroom. She would look up and learn from other English teachers what I needed to work on to become a better reader. Reading is one of the most important things in high school and college to be successful. If it wasn’t for her, I would be the reader I am today and I thank her for that.

Grams Bootz said...
I met Mrs. Reinek and she is a super teacher.  All the students love her.  She helped my grandson become the man he is today.  He is a super student now.  Thanks Mrs. Reinek.

Aunt Esther said...
I truly believe that there are teachers in the wrong profession and there are those that belong there. This teacher sounds like one that SHOULD be working with kids. Based on the article, one can see she really cares how they turn out. I'm really proud of Josh and all his accomplishments and I thank Mrs. Rheineck for all she has done for him.

anti debbie said...
JOsh has had struggles with school and has now overcome them. He has turned out to be a very mature and responsible young man and he will be successful. Thank goodness for teachers like Mrs Rheineck who made learning fun for him!

Proud Dad said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 11:57 am
The differance in doing well or not in school is the influence of a great teacher. Without that at an early age would have possibly ment failure. Instead it has pushed a student to try and do the best they can. It's been wonderful to see. Thanks Mrs. Reineck

Mike said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 11:04 am
This shows the difference between just any old teacher and a professional teacher/instructor.  If only more educators could look at their "job" as a career and take more pride in the important function they perform for society!

on Apr. 19 2010 at 10:40 am
I had Mrs. Rheineck for a teacher and  I have to say she was one of my favorite poeple I have had the pleasure of meeting! The key largo trip was one I will NEVER forget and I had truely great experience with her and her husband!! You two rock!

cjk3 said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 9:07 am
A teacher can make or break a student. Someone who loves teaching can help a student love to learn. Kudos to Mrs. Rheineck for finding special ways to connect with her students!!

sassy stacey said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 8:53 am
I believe that any teacher that can get a student to read for fun, and continue to learn is a special person...

Mom Bootz said...
This is a great story. Mrs Rheineck is truely a great teacher.  Her & her husband take a large group of students evey year to Key Largo for a Marine Bioligy eduation trip.  Both of my children had gone on this trip and loved it and learned a lot.  Thanks to them my chlidren were able to have a great education experience.