Educator of the Year: Mrs. Stacey Arnett | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year: Mrs. Stacey Arnett

March 10, 2020
By Tdog1515 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Tdog1515 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


Before sophomore year at Arrowhead, I never got along with authority. In my eyes authority was mean, disrespectful, and demanding. Arnett knew I would mess up and when I did, she didn't put me down, we just talked. 

She said, “You can't be mature until you are 25”. 

My whole life I have heard “be more mature”! 

Without even knowing it, Arnett made me look at authority figures differently. Arnett what the second set of eyes in the room besides the teacher. I have learned that authority figures have different ways of showing respect and that showing that respect is a two way connection.

Arnett may not know this, but she had a huge impact on my sophomore year and on my life. Arnett motivated me to believe in myself by believing in me when the odds started getting difficult. 

When I was going through hard times, she always put a smile on my face. The motivational Fridays are what I needed to get through the week. Arnett knew what to say and she relates with her students. 

My favorite motivational video you showed me was “if you want to change the world, start off by making your bed”. That video is stuck in my head and it doesn't just relate to school, but it is about life. It talked about how the little things matter and if I can't do the little things right, there is no way I can do the big things right. It talked about how no matter how hard it is in the moment, the end of the tunnel is closer than I think. 

When I didn't want to do my homework and go on my phone, instead of yelling at me like every teacher does, you took time to sit me down.  We made a plan where I had to do my homework, but it gave me some freedom once my homework was completed. We had the best relationship. I saw you as a teacher but a friend and you viewed me as an adult and let me do what I wanted to do in reason. You never told me what to do, we always agreed. You didnt force me to do anything you let me do it how I wanted/ when to do it. Mrs. Arnett I appreciated everything you did for me and you made a great impact on my first years at Arrowhead.  I would like to nominate you for Teacher of the Year because you deserve the recognition.